Why is Quicken retaining more than maximum number backup files?

Mark P
Mark P Member ✭✭
I have automatic backups turned on with max number backup copies set to 5. Yet there are over 40 in my backup directory. Does anyone know why Q isn't deleting old ones when it should?

I have the latest version of Q for Windows:
Year: 2020
Version: R23.18
Build: 27.1.23.18

Regards,
Mark P.

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are several old threads mentioning the same issue - not addressed -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you using the option to Time Stamp your backup files?  If so, they have different names ... and Q doesn't realize that there should only be 5.  It's expecting 5 of the same name with only it's "counter" appended.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    these are the AUTO backups - as mentioned -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auto backups can also have time stamps.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    hmmmm..... the AUTO backups always have the timestamps - AND datestamps -
    and I don't see anywhere that is specified as an option vs a concrete default.
    So - not sure what the "counter" is looking for -

and here is the Help - explanation -
    but with a DateStamp and TimeStamp - the filename doesn't really ever match

The backup process should therefore ONLY be looking at the filename prefix,
    that would represent the Quicken QDF filename
    vs the entire filename with - Date + AM/PM + Time

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• aroundtuit
    aroundtuit Member ✭✭
    Running Windows 10 Pro with latest updates (OS Build 18362.535), Quicken 2020, version R23.18, build 27.1.23.18.

I'm seeing the same thing, 27 automatic backup copies. The max set to 1 and the frequency also set to 1 so it backs up every time I use Quicken. The backups all follow the name pattern "filename-YYYY-MM-DDD.<AM/PM>HH.MM.QDF-backup: where filename is the name of my data file and <AM/PM> is either AM or PM. It appears to be saving a months worth of automatic backups.

I also have "Manual backup reminder set to 1. Its set to use my One Drive. It shows 297 manual backup copies dating back to June 2017 . They all follow the naming pattern filename-YYY-MM-DD.QDF-backup.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm seeing the same thing, 27 automatic backup copies. The max set to 1 and the frequency also set to 1 so it backs up every time I use Quicken.
    I also have "Manual backup reminder set to 1.
    If you are actually only keeping a single backup copy, which your max settings would imply, I would strongly encourage you to reassess you backup plan. If you encounter a file corruption and need to go back to a time that the file was not corrupt, you are not leaving much for recovery.

• revdavemiller
    revdavemiller Member
    Has this issue been addressed yet? I have the same situation explained in Jan 2 post from ps56k.
  • btw7072
    btw7072 Member ✭✭
    Have the same issue here. I have the max set to 5 (or any other number) but it's not clearing old files. Where in the new version can you tell not to use date/time stamps is this is the issue? Or is this a bug?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You cannot change the naming of automatic backup copies.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • btw7072
    btw7072 Member ✭✭
    So the issue is not the naming convention but a bug? This worked fine is previous versions. Been using Quicken for many years.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken Backups, that is the name of Quicken Backups is based on the name of the Quicken Data File name, you give to your Quicken Data File.

The actual name could be as an example: "btw7072" , it does not need to be the Default Filename that the program gives.

To rename an existing Data File, use File Explorer from Windows. Then click on the renamed Data File to open it in Quicken.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @btw7072 said:
    > So the issue is not the naming convention but a bug? This worked fine is previous versions. Been using Quicken for many years.

Definitely a bug. There needs to be a way to limit the number of automatic backups.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

This discussion has been closed.