Quicken for Mac v5.16 Released

Comments

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    glennmacc, 72 custom reports.  Wow, that's incredible. The new report design should make this a lot better. ...

Like I have said MANY times before, I have about 80. The way QM2007 handles this is very simple and is not cumbersome. I hope that will be the case with the new report management being planned.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
    Getting "An unexpected error incurred while sending your feedback report. Please verify that you are connected to the Internet and try again." when I try to send feedback. Obviously, since I am posting here, I am connected and Quicken says it can connect to the internet. In case it is not clear, this started this morning immediately after updating quicken to 5.16.1
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    > @RickO said:
    > Here it is. Weird, I don't think it's something that mod would have deleted.

Thanks. It came back eventually after a while. And it's just disappeared again after another editing session.

It looks like editing can result in the post no longer being available for a while.
  • clinc
    clinc Mac Beta Beta
    I'm also getting "An unexpected error incurred while sending your feedback report. Please verify that you are connected to the Internet and try again." when I try to send feedback. No problem with my internet connection. Running 5.16.1 as of this morning.
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    > @markrougeux said:
    > Re the "new" Cash Flow report, have you tried printing this or saving as a PDF? Again, the formatting is bad. The data is jammed against the left margin, and the lines beneath each total go all the way across the page. I'm happy you are trying to improve the reporting function, but I'm wondering who looks at this before it is published. There is such a long way to go before the reporting here approached Quicken 2007 for Mac. Someone who understands financial reporting needs to look at this. I'm happy to help you understand how financial reports should be created and formatted. Let me know.

I encourage you to join the beta program. Good place to offer input and suggestions.
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    > @clinc said:
    > I'm also getting "An unexpected error incurred while sending your feedback report. Please verify that you are connected to the Internet and try again." when I try to send feedback. No problem with my internet connection. Running 5.16.1 as of this morning.

Maybe an issue with the 5.16.1 update? Anybody with 5.16.0 having this problem?
  • caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭
    @marcus, I noticed a couple of issues with QuickFill rules.
    (reposting because the message disappeared from the forum)

*Best matches: Duplicate entries*

Enter a new transaction, start typing the first few letters of an existing payee, the Best Matches popup appears, but some entries are presented twice: the ones for which both a Payee and a QuickFill rule exists.

I don't quite understand why it displays both, because they look and are the same. Shouldn't it display one or the other, preferably the QuickFill rule?

*Best matches: Unicode support (diacritics)*

There's one easy step missing from 5.13. Example:

1. Enter a new transaction, type "cafe" as Payee.
    2. QM display "Café" as the best match (great!), but it's not selected and it's the option to "Create a new Payee" that is selected instead.

The expected behavior would be for "Café" to be selected instead of "Create a new payee". See screenshots attached.

*Splits*

Splits seem to retain "all fields", even when only "category" is selected in Preferences. At least, this seems to be what happens when QuickFill rules are automatically created when moving from 5.13 to 5.16.

*Preferences / "When saving new QuickFill rules, save:"*

I remember there was a discussion a while ago that intermediate options would eventually be allowed between the 2 current extremes: "category" and "all fields". Any idea when this might become available?

I do indeed have a need QuickFill to remember Category, Tags and Amounts, BUT NOT Memos.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2020
    If I want to know how much I spent over a period of time, (for example, the year 2019), currently what I get is a 13 column report that shows every month and Total. What I really just want is the total over that period of time, but there is no way to only get that column displayed. I have to have all 13 columns, which is unnecessary.
    [Editing to add that I  missed RickO's response, above, which suggests the same solution.]

If you want to know how much you spent over a period of time, I'd suggest that you're using the wrong tool for the job. If you want to see your spending for a period of time, I'd use Create Summary Report. If you use the default options for this report -- Row=Category, Column=Time, Interval=None -- and on the Customize screen select a time period (such as Last Year). You get a simple report with two columns: categories, and tot total for the time period. If you want spending only without income, just open Customize, click on the categories tab, and de-select the income categories. (Note that this is the same as selecting the new menu choice of "Category Summary by Year", but you have to let it generate that report which will cover your entire Quicken history, then click Customize to set the date range you want, and change the Interval to None.)

This report prints pretty much as shown on screen, except for the amateurish and annoying lines which extend all the way across the page. (Make sure you set orientation to vertical in the Print dialog box, so it takes fewer pages.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
    For anyone else having the 5.16.1 connection issues today, just got off the phone with support. They had me reset my Cloud account. This seems to have fixed the problem. It is under Preferences>Connected Services. Be sure not to interrupt the process when it is syncing. It took about 5-6 minutes. Hope this helps.
  • jacobs
    caram said:
    *Preferences / "When saving new QuickFill rules, save:"*

I remember there was a discussion a while ago that intermediate options would eventually be allowed between the 2 current extremes: "category" and "all fields". Any idea when this might become available?

I do indeed have a need QuickFill to remember Category, Tags and Amounts, BUT NOT Memos.
    I think Marcus has indicated elsewhere that they are not planning additional changes to QuickFill preferences. I'd guess they feel offering field-by-field options would suit some people but confuse or overwhelm more people.

In your case, you could go to Payees & Rules > QuickFill Rules and edit the rules for these recurring transactions: blank out the Memo field, then check the "Lock this rule to prevent changes to it when editing a transaction" checkbox, and Save. This will prevent the memo you enter on a transaction today from popping up the next time you use the same Payee with this rule, because the rule is locked with a blank memo field. Yes, it'll require a little editing time for the rules as you get started, but over time, most of your recurring Payees will be set up the way you want them.

I'd also note something about the memo file which might make this unnecessary. You say you don't want the memo field memorized and carried forward, which indicates you do use the memo field. When you enter a new transaction, you therefore go to the Memo field to type something. When you tab into the memo field, it highlights  previous transactions's memo, and as soon as you start typing anything, it deletes the old memo and replaces it with what you're typing. So it's no more work on your part whether the previous memo is there or not, because you're going to overtype what's there.

For instance, for my monthly electric bill, I put in the memo field the time period and amount of electricity used: "March-April (1,234 kWh)". When I enter the next month's electric bill, even though it auto-fills with last month's memo, as soon as I start typing in the memo field, it erases the old value -- there's not even any extra keystroke or click involved. So saving the QuickFill rule with a blank memo field wouldn't save me any time. (In this case, I sometimes lock and save the QuickFill rule with a 'template' memo for a transaction like this -- "month-month (xxx kWh)" -- to remind me to enter the memo in the same format each month.)
  • jacobs
    caram said:
    *Splits*

Splits seem to retain "all fields", even when only "category" is selected in Preferences. At least, this seems to be what happens when QuickFill rules are automatically created when moving from 5.13 to 5.16.
    I just tried creating a new Payee with a split, and set it to Save QuickFill rule with Category only. The rule was recorded as expected: with the splits and amounts, but no memo/notes or tags. So I think the software is working as you'd expect and as designed.

Most likely what you're describing is a result of however they implemented the automatic building of rules when you jumped from 5.13 to 5.16. Since I no longer have 5.13 to test with, I can't confirm that.

If the way it auto-created QuickFill Rules for you in the conversion isn't what you'd like, you can go to the Payees & Rules > QuickFill Rules screen and select some or all of the rules and delete them. Then you can build up QuickFill rules according to your own preferences as you use transactions going forward.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭
    Best matches: Duplicate entries
    Enter a new transaction, start typing the first few letters of an existing payee, the Best Matches popup appears, some entries are presented twice: the ones for which both a Payee and a QuickFill rule exists it seems. Is this really the intended behavior? It makes transaction entry a little cumbersome, because now I have to pause and think and select one of the two mostly indistinguishable transactions. There should only be 1 option presented to the user IMHO.
    As RickO says, this is by design.  The goal is to allow you to reject any QuickFill option and simply enter the payee with auto-filling the other fields.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Best matches: Unicode support (diacritics)
    This seems to have improved since 5.13, but there's just one easy, extra step missing. Example:
    1. Enter a new transaction, type "cafe" as Payee.
    2. QM display "Café" as the best match (excellent!), but it's not selected. The option to "Create a new Payee" is instead. This is not the expected behavior. The expected behavior would be for "Café" to be selected.
    I'm not able to reproduce this issue.  The "café" QuickFill option is automatically selected for me. Is this what you would expect?

• Quicken Marcus
    Splits
    Splits seem to retain "all fields", even when only "category" is selected. At least, this seems to be what happens when QuickFill rules are automatically created when moving from 5.13 to 5.16.
    When we auto-created QuickFill rules, we decided it was best to keep all information from previous split transactions because the amounts were important to preserve.  Since auto-creation was done in the first QuickFill release, we didn't have the ability to set preferences at the time so we just had to pick what we thought would work best for the majority of customers.
  • Quicken Marcus
    caram said:
    Preferences / "When saving new QuickFill rules, save:"
    I thought there was a discussion that intermediate options would be allows between the 2 current extremes: "category" and "all fields". I need QuickFill to remember Tags and Amounts for most transactions (but not Memos). Any idea when this might be available?
    There are definitely some customers who expressed an interest in this capability but overall it's a pretty small percentage of people.  At this time, we don't plan on adding the ability to automatically select individual fields to be memorized.  One suggestion is to use ⌘Y after you save your transaction and refine the QuickFill rule and delete the items you don't want.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Re the "new" Cash Flow report, have you tried printing this or saving as a PDF? Again, the formatting is bad. The data is jammed against the left margin, and the lines beneath each total go all the way across the page. I'm happy you are trying to improve the reporting function, but I'm wondering who looks at this before it is published. There is such a long way to go before the reporting here approached Quicken 2007 for Mac. Someone who understands financial reporting needs to look at this. I'm happy to help you understand how financial reports should be created and formatted. Let me know.
    Yeah, that is kind of ugly.  Let me see what we can do.  I'll reach out to you.
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the quickFill rules. For most things in my checking account (credit card accounts auto download) I duplicate the last payment and change the date & amount. Then I get the correct name, category & memo. I edit the memo if needed but usually not needed.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994
  • Quicken Marcus
    pmele said:
    Update killed the ability to updates accounts for me. Get a general error about syncing failure. I have turned off sync and yet it still fails.
    I am having the same problem. Not updating any accounts. Also not able to report to Quicken. Trying to report gives back a check your internet connection and try again message. The error message is for my Mountain America Credit Union account, but none of my other accounts updated.
    Please call Quicken Customer Care directly. It's free. If anyone asks you to pay, that's NOT Quicken. I'm not aware of any changes made around updating accounts so I don't think it's related to the 5.16 release.  I'm guessing both of these are related to specific issues with the bank connection that our care team has better tools and background information to be able to help you work through.
  • Pat13
    Pat13 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Please change Quickfill on Quicken Mac so it is sensitive to the account into which transactions are downloaded. For example, I want Amazon transactions from one credit card to go to one category, and Amazon transactions from a second credit card to go to a second category. As is, if a transaction is from Amazon, Quicken Mac assigns the same category regardless of the credit card.
  • Tim W
    Tim W Member ✭✭✭
    One feature that was lost in 5.16 is in the Payees and Rules window, where the number of transactions used to be displayed. Clicking on that number would give a quick report on the transaction details; very convenient. Although the new reports are good to have, it now takes many steps to achieve what one used to be able to do with one click. Please bring that feature back!
  • JoeyMaggard
    JoeyMaggard Member ✭✭✭
    > @Quicken Marcus said:
    > (Quote)
    > (Quote)
    > Please call Quicken Customer Care directly. It's free. If anyone asks you to pay, that's NOT Quicken. I'm not aware of any changes made around updating accounts so I don't think it's related to the 5.16 release.  I'm guessing both of these are related to specific issues with the bank connection that our care team has better tools and background information to be able to help you work through.

It wasn't 5.16 but 5.16.1 that broke account updating for me. The solution for me was to reset cloud account under Connected Services. Just make sure to let it finish. It took 5-6 minutes.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited May 2020
    Tim W said:
    One feature that was lost in 5.16 is in the Payees and Rules window, where the number of transactions used to be displayed. 
    It's still there in the Payees tab. Right-click on the column headers and make sure the "Uses" column is checked.

Tim W said:
    Although the new reports are good to have, it now takes many steps to achieve what one used to be able to do with one click. 
    Nothing was removed in 5.16 re reports. What is it you're trying to do that used to take one click?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • MKL
    MKL Member ✭✭
    Do the new reports include a customizable actual vs. budget report? I really need to track my actual expenses against my budget for various timeframes but I don't see how to do that.
  • Shing
    Shing Mac Beta Beta
    > @MKL said:
    > Do the new reports include a customizable actual vs. budget report? I really need to track my actual expenses against my budget for various timeframes but I don't see how to do that.

No budget reports yet. The whole budget piece needs a lot of work to get it up to speed.
  • TomJF
    TomJF Member ✭✭✭
    Bug?! CATEGORIES under WINDOW now only shows 18 required categories. Normal categories such as Travel, Food, Utilities, etc. are not revealed.
  • TomJF
    TomJF Member ✭✭✭
    Would you please implement a keyword search routine for the Memo/Notes column. My database dates back to 1981 and I often want to check the purchase date and cost of principal items like refrigerator, washing machines, auto batteries, cars, etc. Keywords of many items are entered into the Memo/Notes column of my database.

Thanks Tom
  • jacobs
    @TomJF  I'm not seeing what you're seeing. My Categories window shows 333 categories (I need to do some housekeeping!), same as before. Are you saying that your Categories window shows only 18 categories? Or that of all the Categories, only 18 are Required? Categories like Travel and Food aren't required categories, but they are typically there by default unless you've remove them. (By my count, there are 34 "required" Categories in Quicken.)

Are you sure there isn't something entered in the Search box at the top of the Categories window which is limiting what you're seeing? If not, can you enlarge the Categories window to show all the entires it is displaying, and capture and post a screen shot?
  • RickO
    @TomJF  Another possibility is that you've accidentally invoked the "Show Only Unused Categories" filter. To check this, click the gear icon at the bottom of the Categories window. If "Show Only Unused Categories" is checked, then uncheck it.
  • RickO
    edited May 2020
    @TomJF  You can easily search the memo/notes column in any account or group register. With the register selected, click the magnifying glass in the search box, top right. Select the Memo/Notes option. Enter a keyword in the search box and only transactions whose memo/note contains that keyword will appear. You can use the Date, Type, Status and Account filters at the top to further filter the results.

After you've filtered the register as described, you can print it as a report by clicking menu File > Print. Or you can export it to Excel or Numbers using menu File > Export > Register Transactions to CSV File.

• Garrett Jackson
    Garrett Jackson Member ✭✭
    I am happy to see continued improvement of the reports available. I really, really think you need to offer a flexible Spending vs. Budget report that can be customized for date ranges, account selection, and category selection. Look at what Quicken 2007 provided. With the new Quicken I can look at spending from any angle but my ability to look at spending vs budget is very limited and isolated to the planning tab. For example I would like to look at spending vs budget for a particular quarter. The bills are not all in right at the end of the quarter. By the time they are all in by the middle of the next month, you can't get a summary of the quarter spending, you can get a year to date but that isn't as useful for my purposes. I have been downloading the budget report in .csv format into Excel and manually editing it to get the report I want. You should provide this capability within the report tab.
This discussion has been closed.