Organizing reports by category groups

John Gragg
John Gragg Member, Windows Beta Beta
Is there a way to organize reports by category groups ? I like to assign my expense categories to either a discretionary or a non-discretionary category group and it would be nice if I could print reports organized by these categories. Simply selecting category groups to be included in a report does not cause the reports to be organized by the category groupings. As of now, the only solution I can find is to print two reports, one using only the discretionary group and one using only the non-discretionary group.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review the built-in documentation of the subject: press F1

• John Gragg
    All that does is include the category groups in the report. The results are still reported in terms of income and expense. I'd like to see the report organized by category group, e.g., discretionary and non-discretionary.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    All that does is include the category groups in the report. The results are still reported in terms of income and expense. I'd like to see the report organized by category group, e.g., discretionary and non-discretionary.
    I suspect you're having difficulty understanding the instructions provided.  For example:
    1. Select Reports > Banking > Bank Summary
    2. Press Alt + C
    3. Select Category Group in the Organization: pull-down menu
    4. Select OK
  • John Gragg
    Turns out the problem is not all reports give you the option of reporting transactions by category group, which is determined by the Organization setting in the Display tab. Bank Summary reports do, Income and Expense reports don't.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Turns out the problem is not all reports give you the option of reporting transactions by category group, which is determined by the Organization setting in the Display tab. Bank Summary reports do, Income and Expense reports don't.
    The instructions do say summary, comparison, and budget reports twice.
  • harry askenazi
    harry askenazi Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > I suspect you're having difficulty understanding the instructions provided.  For example:* Select Reports > Banking > Bank Summary
    > * Press Alt + C
    > * Select Category Group in the Organization: pull-down menu
    > * Select OK

This Does not work. I do not see Category Group as an option under "Display" within the Banking Summary Report
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @harry askenazi,

What version and edition of Quicken are you running? Go to Help > About Quicken and let us know what it says there.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > I suspect you're having difficulty understanding the instructions provided.  For example:* Select Reports > Banking > Bank Summary
    > * Press Alt + C
    > * Select Category Group in the Organization: pull-down menu
    > * Select OK

This Does not work. I do not see Category Group as an option under "Display" within the Banking Summary Report
    Have you created a category group?
This discussion has been closed.