Can I change settings to show dividend reinvestments for current investment only?

Hello,
I have some securities that I had previously held in the account that had dividends reinvested. After exiting the entire position, and several years later getting back in, it still shows that I have reinvested income for these securities which I should not have. Is there a way to update the settings to reset the amount reinvested for each security when I close out positions?

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand your issue.

If, in the past, you owned a security and opted to have dividends reinvested, then those transactions are always going to show up in your transaction list (register) as a historical transaction, even if you sold the stock.  Why would you think they would disappear? 

Perhaps you're not referring to the transaction list per se, but are looking at something else, like a report?  If that's the case then selectively setting the time period of the report would mean those transactions wouldn't show up.  It would be helpful if you would clarity by "it still shows"; what's "it?"

• reko34
    reko34 Member
    Hi Tom. Thanks for the response.
    Perhaps it is best to illustrate my issue with an example. All of these are showing on the investment tab ("Home", "Spending", "Bills and income", "Planning", "investing", etc). I am not concerned about the transaction list and I understand why they will be there.

Say, 10 years ago, I bought XYZ for $10,000 and received $1,000 of dividends (reinvested) at that time, and then close out of the position entirely. This year, I've bought XYZ again in the amount of $500, and then received $50 in dividends and reinvest it. But when I look in the "investment" tab, I see:
    XYZ, Amount invested: $500. Value: $550, amount reinvested: $1050.

I am wanting to know if there is a way to only show the "current" investment of:
    XYZ, amount invested: $500, value $550, amount reinvested $50.

Is that a little more clear? If there is a way to see what I am looking for above within a report, that would probably work as well.

Thanks.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    In the Investing > Portfolio views, the date range defaults to the earliest date in your file to today.

You can change the starting date by clicking on the gear at the top right and choosing Portfolio Preferences then setting the desired starting date. So fo a particular security, if you set the starting date to sometime between your last previous sale and the first buy for your current holding, you should see the reinvestments you are looking for.

This date will, however apply to all the securities in the view. I don't think there is a way to only include data for the current holding period of each security if the holding periods differ.

Also note that Quicken remembers the starting date you have set from one session to the next, so if you change the starting date you should set it back to the normal date when you are done, to avoid future confusion.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Another way to handle the issue is to use a distinct security.  Using your example, you could rename the old XYZ security to be "Old XYZ", clear the Symbol, uncheck Matched with online security, and create new XYZ security to track the current holding.
This discussion has been closed.