Why does it assume all transactions are positive.

Whenever I enter a transaction manually, I have to enter a minus sign in the amount column or the software will add the money in. For example, when I choose "credit card payment" in category, it should automatically subtract from my balance, but it doesn't. If I don't type a minus sign, it adds the money to my balance.

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's advisable to NOT use the "Amount" column ... and rather use the Payment vs Deposit OR Charge vs Payment columns (depending upon the type of account) for exactly the reason that you've discovered.
    In fact ... just hide it so you won't (like so many others) get confused.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    salad4 said:
    Whenever I enter a transaction manually, I have to enter a minus sign in the amount column or the software will add the money in. For example, when I choose "credit card payment" in category, it should automatically subtract from my balance, but it doesn't. If I don't type a minus sign, it adds the money to my balance.

Any guess Quicken might make about changing the sign based on the category (that you may or may not have entered before amount) would be just that a guess, and guaranteed to be wrong at some time.

For instance if I have a category of Clothing and I type in $100 and Quicken makes that negative.  What happens when I return the item of clothing?  Note should be recorded back to the same category so that they offset each other, but with a positive sign.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.