Quicken 2020 crashes every 4 days

For many update cycles, I'm now on R26.23, QW2020 HB&RP crashes on startup once every 4 days. More specifically, only the Quicken splash screen appears for 10 seconds or so and then disappears. Following along in Task Manager shows that qw.exe starts running and then just quits. The "outline" of my Quicken data window does not appear. If I then launch Quicken again, it runs properly. After the tetradaily (?) crash, qw.log contains the date & time of the attempted launch but no additional log entries (e.g., showing Process ID, etc). The quickenPatch_log.txt file adds a line containing "Dll Patch is getting triggered when user has not took the patch from 4 days" followed by a line number, cpp file name, and a date&time that I believe relates to the current release version. The entry today is "Line : 5455 File : osu_summary.cpp Date : May 11 2020 Time : 18:31:21". Previous release versions showed different line numbers and date&time. Only those 2 log files are modified during the failed launch. Due to the quickenPatch_log.txt entry, and since the crash is once every 4 days, I thought this might be something related to quickenPatch.exe. To test this I created a 0-byte file names quickenPatch.exe and moved it the Quicken program folder after renaming the real .exe file. The quickenPatch_log.txt file contains lines with "Failed to launch quickenPatch", with the same "Line: 5455 ..." reference as above. But the "Dll Patch is getting triggered..." entry appears whether using my dummy .exe patch file or the actual .exe file.

This is wierd, and also poor grammar (...user has not took..."). Any ideas?

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, I suggest you perform a clean uninstall, install and update: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken
  • CurPro
    CurPro Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock: I'll try that. Just curious, is the behavior I describe something that you've seen before?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    CurPro said:
    @Sherlock: I'll try that. Just curious, is the behavior I describe something that you've seen before?
    Our log only has had a couple of occurrences of the poor grammar entry about a month apart.  I suspect these entries may be generated when Quicken thinks a program update has been pending for four days.  I'm not sure but Quicken may have prompted to apply the update again at the time.

I don't recall having seen the behavior you described but it implies to me that there is some corruption in the state the program maintains.  I suspect you'll need to use the QCleanUI and clear the Quicken shared folders.
  • CurPro
    CurPro Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > ( I suspect you'll need to use the QCleanUI and clear the Quicken shared folders.

Thanks for the reply. I assumed that starting with QCleanUI before reinstalling would be the best approach so that's what I did. I considered a regedit rampage through the registry to remove all Quicken references, but decided to save that as a plan B if needed. I guess now I wait ~4 days to see if the problem is solved.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    CurPro said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > ( I suspect you'll need to use the QCleanUI and clear the Quicken shared folders.

Thanks for the reply. I assumed that starting with QCleanUI before reinstalling would be the best approach so that's what I did. I considered a regedit rampage through the registry to remove all Quicken references, but decided to save that as a plan B if needed. I guess now I wait ~4 days to see if the problem is solved.
    You should also clear the Quicken shared folders after the QCleanUI before you install.
  • CurPro
    CurPro Member ✭✭
    > @Sherlock said:
    > You should also clear the Quicken shared folders after the QCleanUI before you install.

When I referred to my use of QCleanUI, I should more precisely have said that I followed the steps in the link you provided, which included clearing the shared folders. It might be worth noting that that link is out of date, as it refers to shared folders whose path names include "Intuit" which no longer exist in the current incarnation of Quicken.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    CurPro said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > You should also clear the Quicken shared folders after the QCleanUI before you install.

When I referred to my use of QCleanUI, I should more precisely have said that I followed the steps in the link you provided, which included clearing the shared folders. It might be worth noting that that link is out of date, as it refers to shared folders whose path names include "Intuit" which no longer exist in the current incarnation of Quicken.
    True.  There was a version of the page that had both.  Then, there was a version that had instructions explicitly for Quicken 2017.  Now, it looks like they changed it to be explicitly for the subscription release but left the instructions for Quicken 2017.  I'll try to flag the issue for a moderator to correct.
  • CurPro
    CurPro Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    It's May 25. 4 days have passed since I QCleanUI-ed and reinstalled Quicken and, like clockwork, Quicken crashed on startup and the same poor grammar describes the error. And just to be clear, it was working just fine from the time I reinstalled until today.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @CurPro

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to review and research this issue further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • CurPro
    CurPro Member ✭✭
    I decided to run the tools SFC and DISM on my windows build. The logs showed that the tools encountered and corrected a few errors, none of which appeared to me to relate directly to Quicken. Regardless, the end result is that I've had no Quicken problems since.

Case closed.
This discussion has been closed.