Why are my renaming rules applying to the "Downloaded Payee" field also?

I use the "Renaming Rules" to automatically change the "Payee" field to what I want it to show up as, but I like the "Downloaded Payee" field to remain exactly what was downloaded.

How to I prevent the "Renaming Rules" from applying to the "Downloaded Payee" field?

Quicken - Deluxe
Year: 2020
Version: R26.23
Build: 27.1.26.23

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running the same release as you are and I am not seeing this.  The "downloaded" fields are supposed to never be changed.
    How about a screenshot of at list one register entry, make sure it isn't of personal nature.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• dfbradshaw65
    dfbradshaw65 Member ✭✭
    Here is a good example, but there are several other payees that it does this for. Seems to happen most on my Citi and Chase cards, so it is not just limited to one financial institution. I can use the "Revert" option for force it to use the downloaded information, but then I have to go back and manually change the "Payee" field back to what I want. Kind of defeats the purpose of the "Renaming Rules". :smile:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @dfbradshaw65 Your screenshot doesn't show the renaming rule being applied to the Downloaded payee.

Your payee and Downloaded payee are different, and what's more the Downloaded payee is exactly what I would expect for one that hasn't been changed.

Are you really having a problem where you don't want the payee to be "Taco Bell - Federal Way 2031 SW Campus Dr"?

Because that is a completely different story.

Normally you would want your payee to be changed to something like "Taco Bell" so that it can easily be matched to a memorized payee of the same name so that you have the same category for all the Taco Bell transactions no matter where they are located.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Oops, I guess you mean this one:

Are you sure that it didn't come in that way?

The OFX logs would prove it one way or another:
    Help -> Log Files -> OFX Log
    Signature:
  • dfbradshaw65
    dfbradshaw65 Member ✭✭
    Here is what the QFX log shows for the last Taco Bell transaction:

<transaction>
    <tp_account_txn_id>10150454586991</tp_account_txn_id>
    <status>A</status>
    <posted_date>2020-06-03T00:00:00.0-07:00</posted_date>
    <transaction_date>2020-06-03T00:00:00.0-07:00</transaction_date>
    <transaction_type>DEBIT</transaction_type>
    <description>TACO BELL 031325 TUKWILA WA</description>
    <reference_no/>

The "Description" is what I want to show up in the "Downloaded Description" field.

Here is the Renaming Rule that I have applied to these transactions:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @dfbradshaw65 That is a new one on me!  The Downloaded payee should always be the same as what was sent by the financial institution.
    Signature:
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there is some data file corruption going on here.  In the fist screenshot, the changed Download Payee is too long.
    You may need to validate your data file File->File Operations->Validate

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• dfbradshaw65
    dfbradshaw65 Member ✭✭
    @splasher - Thanks, I'll try shortening the name in the "Renaming Rule" but this isn't the only payee that it does this for. I have several other payees that it does this, and the renamed payee isn't this long.
  • dfbradshaw65
    dfbradshaw65 Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW - Thanks. If I can't figure this out, I might have to open a support ticket with Quicken Support. Thanks for looking at it with me.
  • dfbradshaw65
    dfbradshaw65 Member ✭✭
    @splasher - I did run the Validate file operation. It found a few errors, but none were related to the transactions that have the renaming issue. I'll see what happens the next time I download transactions. Thanks for the help.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have 2 active Renaming Rules in effect. The rest of my transactions are always entered manually before I download transactions.
    As far as I can determine, the Downloaded Payee is changed to the Payee Name only if a matching Renaming Rule exists. For all other transactions that are matched to my already existing register transactions, the Downloaded Payee name is not changed.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @UKR Well this is new and inconsistent.  It never did this before as far as I know.  What's more even in @dfbradshaw65 's screenshot it did two different things (that is why I missed it in my first comment to this thread)

And I have quite a few renaming rules because I have several that put extra numbers and such in them that would mess up using memorized payees (and limit these, and memorize manually) and I don't usually manually enter transactions so it would work by that kind of matching.

Examples:

Signature:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right. This does appear to be new behavior.
    But, other than asking a Quicken programmer to provide us with some background on this, and why they made a change, that's about all I can say.
    I would have preferred the original text in the Downloaded Payee Name field to remain unchanged.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think it is some kind of bug.  It is too inconsistent to be on purpose, and it doesn't make any sense besides.  Why would you have two fields that end up being the same thing all the time?
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.