Closed Accounts & Hidden Accounts showing up in Category List

Over the many years of my Quicken data I have many closed accounts. They're supposed to be removed from transaction entry lists but still show up in the categories. I have renamed them all so they begin with "**" to help me identify them as closed accounts but shouldn't they be out of view?

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The Display Options tab of your closed accounts should look like this.  Is this what you are seeing?:
    Are the closed account names in your transaction category list enclosed in brackets or do they have no brackets?  Example:  [**Checking] or **Checking.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    In Brackets, i.e., [**Checking]

And yes, in the account details page, display options "Hide in transaction entry lists" is grayed out and checked.
  • Dan Glynhampton
    Dan Glynhampton Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think this is a long standing issue that has been raised in the past. Around the time of QW2016 it was reportedly fixed, but it only works correctly if you start a new Quicken data file. If the data file is an older one (which I assume yours is as you say you’ve used it for many years) that has been updated from a version of Quicken before they added the fix, then it doesn't work and the closed accounts still show up in the list.

As an experiment, you might want to try creating a new file and testing if hidden accounts still show up in the category lists in that file. 
    US Quicken Deluxe for Windows Subscription R28.16 on Windows 10 Pro v2004
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The closed accounts do still appear in the category lists.  We're not able to hide the transfer categories.  The accounts are hidden in the transaction wizards.  For example, open a banking register, press Ctrl + Shift + T, and examine the account pull-down menus.
  • Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    > @Dan Glynhampton said:
    > I think this is a long standing issue that has been raised in the past. Around the time of QW2016 it was reportedly fixed, but it only works correctly if you start a new Quicken data file. If the data file is an older one (which I assume yours is as you say you’ve used it for many years) that has been updated from a version of Quicken before they added the fix, then it doesn't work and the closed accounts still show up in the list.
    > As an experiment, you might want to try creating a new file and testing if hidden accounts still show up in the category lists in that file. 

I tried what you suggested and you're correct, in a new file this doesn't happen. That's disappointing they cannot make old data files completely update to new versions of Quicken. It's not worth it to me to start over and lose my data.

Thanks for the insight...
  • Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    Another question along those lines... Do you know if I can start a new QDF file and import all my old data using the QFX or QIF export/import and resolve some of these problems? If so, which to use, QFX or QIF? I don't know what the difference is...
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
  • Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    Answered my own question... tried both nd neither worked. :(
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of "**" I always use a "~(tilde)" character in front of closed account names.
    The ~ sorts account names to the bottom of alphabetically sorted selection lists and makes it less likely for a ~name to get selected by mistake.
  • Pilotbum
    Pilotbum Member ✭✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > Instead of "**" I always use a "~(tilde)" character in front of closed account names.
    > The ~ sorts account names to the bottom of alphabetically sorted selection lists and makes it less likely for a ~name to get selected by mistake.

Good gouge... thanks!
This discussion has been closed.