I need to copy one "account" on a 2 account file and transfer it to a new Quicken file on another co

How do I copy only 1 account from a file that has 2 accounts? I am moving one account to a new computer with a 'new' Quicken program. I can't figure out how to copy just one account off the older program on another computer.

Best Answer

Answers

• YeBBasco
    YeBBasco Member
    Thank you.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just thought of an issue of doing this. 
    Are you planning on using QMobile or QWeb with either of these files?
    If so, you will need to do the copy and deletion as described earlier, BUT, then you will need to export (File menu) a QIF file, create a new empty file and then import the QIF file.
    If you don't do this, the Quicken Cloud Account synchronization will think both files are the same and cause issues since the unique internal identification code for that file will be the same in both of the copies. 

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• YeBBasco
    YeBBasco Member
    I am not on Quicken Cloud. What I plan to do it put both accounts in the one file on a CD and then load it on the new computer and new Quicken Program. Then delete out the account I don’t want on the new computer. There will be no Qmobile or QWeb involved, just a CD. Will that work? It is my account I have had since 1999 and my adult daughter’s business that she is going to take care of. She live in another household but I don’t want my checking account on her new computer and program.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be okay as long as you stay away from QMobile and QWeb.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• YeBBasco
    YeBBasco Member
    Will do and thank you for your help and info.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    YeBBasco said:
    I am not on Quicken Cloud. What I plan to do it put both accounts in the one file on a CD and then load it on the new computer and new Quicken Program. Then delete out the account I don’t want on the new computer. There will be no Qmobile or QWeb involved, just a CD. Will that work? It is my account I have had since 1999 and my adult daughter’s business that she is going to take care of. She live in another household but I don’t want my checking account on her new computer and program.

I suggest you export the account in QIF format and import the QIF file into a new Quicken File.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-export-data-quicken
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-import-data-quicken-windows
  • YeBBasco
    YeBBasco Member
    Ok, thanks for the QIF format info.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:
    You should be okay as long as you stay away from QMobile and QWeb.
    @splasher:

If the copied Quicken files share the same Quicken ID, they will share the same cloud account regardless of whether we're using QMobile or QWeb.  Even when we explicitly do not sync accounts to the Quicken Cloud, some state is still being synchronized using the Quicken ID and file identifier that coordinates online bills, the Express Web Connect connection method, etc..  

Essentially, when we open a copy of a file, Quicken assumes we intend to use the opened file going forward.
This discussion has been closed.