Linked backup directories

In the Quicken directory, there are two sub-directories, "Backup" and "BACKUP". Both directories are linked to each other. Not a short cut, nor symbolic link, but a hard link. I can put a file in one, and see the exact same file in the other.

The files within the directories seem to be dynamic at times. There have been time when I've looked in the directory(s) and most, if not all files have disappeared, other times all of the files are there.

Is there a reason why these two directories are linked? Does Quicken need both? Does Quicken use the files when it's running?

This is the oddest thing. I don't have any other apps that behave like this. Any idea why these directories are linked and can I remove one?

Thanks

Daryl

Best Answer

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In File Explorer does one of them have an arrow on it like this?

If so that is a Windows link (sort of a second name referring to the same location).

I have never heard of Quicken creating such a link, so I don't know how you got one.
    I created the above one using the mklink command from an admin command prompt.
    They are use for relocating directories.

You should be able to remove the link without affecting the BACKUP directory.  I would make a copy of the BACKUP directory just in case though before deleting it.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. the link takes up almost no space, it is just a name into the directory structure.  You don't really have two copies of all the files.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken uses the BACKUP folder as the location to save automatic backup files.  The Backup folder appears to be a junction and may be deleted.  I suggest you use File Explorer to check the folders properties to confirm.
  • rosede
    rosede Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > In File Explorer does one of them have an arrow on it like this?(Image)
    >
    > If so that is a Windows link (sort of a second name referring to the same location).
    > I have never heard of Quicken creating such a link, so I don't know how you got one.I created the above one using the mklink command from an admin command prompt.They are use for relocating directories.
    > You should be able to remove the link without affecting the BACKUP directory.  I would make a copy of the BACKUP directory just in case though before deleting it.

Chris,

There is no little arrow as you show. That is a shortcut. These directories are linked. In the Unix/Linux world it would be known as a hard link.

In Backup/BACKUP there is a sub-directory called "Old Backup Files", which has 2019 backup files. I mentioned earlier that the files in the Backup/BACKUP directories seem to by dynamic. I just now looked at the directories and all of the 2020 backup files have disappeared, and the "Old Backup Files" are the only ones in the directory, however the name "Old Backup Files" also disappeared and only the file remain.

> @Sherlock said:
    > Quicken uses the BACKUP folder as the location to save automatic backup files.  The Backup folder appears to be a junction and may be deleted.  I suggest you use File Explorer to check the folders properties to confirm.

Perhaps this is a File Explorer trick of some kind. If I don't need "Backup", then I'll delete it, once the missing files return. :smiley:

Thanks for the information.

Daryl
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S.  The difference between a shortcut and a symbolic link is that the Shortcut is interpreted at the application level and the symbolic link is interpreted at the file system level.

So "some programs" will be able to use the shortcut as if it was just another directory name, and others won't.  Whereas a symbolic link will not be treated any different by any program that goes to open it as a directory.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    rosede said:

> @Sherlock said:
    > Quicken uses the BACKUP folder as the location to save automatic backup files.  The Backup folder appears to be a junction and may be deleted.  I suggest you use File Explorer to check the folders properties to confirm.

Perhaps this is a File Explorer trick of some kind. If I don't need "Backup", then I'll delete it, once the missing files return. :smiley: 

You're right.  I use an extension.  To determine if Backup is a junction, I suggest you open a Cmd window and use the dir command to list the Quicken folder.
  • rosede
    rosede Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I've deleted the "Backup" directory.

Daryl
This discussion has been closed.