File Operations - Copy and Year End Copy Don't Work

I am running version R26.23, Build 27.1.26.23 for Windows. I did not realize that my data file dates back to 1/2000 (over 20 years). I am trying to create a new file starting 1/1/2015 (as the existing file is really slow), but neither option is working correctly.

To begin with, I ran a Validation and found errors, most of which Quicken said required no action. Items that may have required action provided insufficient data to fix anything. I have run multiple Validations and Super Validations. The data file is as clean as I am going to get it (I think).

I have tried different approaches to create a new data file with data starting 1/1/2015. Copy and Year End Copy both ended with the message, "The File Did NOT Copy." It appears there are still embedded errors that are blocking the process.

I then learned about using Control - Shift with Copy or Year End Copy, which allows you to tell Quicken to ignore errors. That works. I am able to get a copy. But, here is the rub. I am telling Quicken that it should start with data as-of 1/1/2015; however, Quicken is instead picking other starting dates. For one checking account, it used 1/1/2001 and for another it used 1/7/2004. Further, the starting balances in the checking accounts are not correct. For example, the correct reconciled starting balance for one account should be $82.03 (the actual 1/1/2001 balance), but Quicken came up with -$1,264,346.52. In another example, the correct starting balance as-of 1/7/2004 should be $1,102.72, but Quicken came up with $20,590.97. In this second case, I can see that it gets to the correct ending balance as-of 6/13/2020 by not including all deposit transactions.

By the way, when I say correct starting balances above, those are from the original data file as-of the dates Quicken used in the new file. But the real new starting date should be 1/1/2015.

Two more points. All banking and credit card transactions in the file have been reconciled. There are no transactions pending a Send action to my bank (I do have some Sent transactions that will post in the near future; the point here is that I have sent all transactions).

Any thoughts on what to do will be appreciated.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well looking at what you are describing I would say you have a seriously corrupted data file, and as such it looks like all bets are off on a clean year end copy.

Just because you can make Quicken ignore errors doesn't mean they go away, it just means that it continues doing what it is doing (maybe making more of a mess as it does this).

BTW one thing that comes up time and time again when people say that the year end copying isn't removing transactions even though they are reconciled is that one side of a transfer isn't reconciled.

But given the extreme errors you are reporting, I would say the problems in your data file will far out weigh something like that.

As for what to do about it one possible idea is "do nothing".  Just because your data file goes back to 2000 doesn't imply anything.  Mine goes back to 1996, and others have data files that go back even farther.  The real important question would be why do you think you need to do a year end copy? (other than a date that seem old to you.)
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • THR
    THR Member ✭✭
    Chris, thanks for the quick reply.

My main reason for trying to create an archive is to reduce the size of my Quicken data file. It is on the order of 275MB. I have noticed that Quicken is running very slow these days, so I am hoping that reducing the file size will pep things up.

My system is fairly current. I am running an i7 8700K (no overclocking) with 16GB of DDR4 dual channel RAM. The Quicken software resides on a 0.5TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe.2 drive while the data file resides on a Seagate hybrid drive. I am not in the market to do any upgrading, though.

I have thought about moving my Quicken data onto the SSD with the software.

Thoughts? Will shrinking the file size make Quicken run faster?
  • THR
    THR Member ✭✭
    I am also nervous now knowing that my data file may have serious corruption in it. With that said, it seems that the only option might be to start with a brand new data file. I would hate to lose access to my data.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the data corruption would make me nervous too.  On the other hand I don't think there is a person that has even "slightly old" data file that doesn't have some kind of corruption in it.  But usually it doesn't affect day to day activities.  It is just the nature of the beast.

The size of the data file has very little to do with Quicken's performance.  And believe it or not how current your machine is doesn't usually have a direct impact on its performance either.

What exactly is "running slower"?
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, first off, reducing the size of the file will not likely resolve the performance issue.

If you were not able to Copy the file without pressing Ctrl + Shift, the file was corrupt even if Validate and Repair didn't detect and correct the issue.  If you haven't already, I suggest you review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

When you use the Ctrl + Shift, Quicken may not copy all transactions.  Therefore, the accounts may no longer be properly reconciled which may result in incorrect opening balance transactions being established by the Copy and Year-End Copy.

Copy and Year-End Copy should behave differently.  With Year-End Copy, Quicken will only remove reconciled non-investment transactions which are not transfers to unreconciled transactions.

When we use Copy to eliminate transactions, we may need to the correct initial balances.
  • THR
    THR Member ✭✭
    Maybe I am expecting too much from Quicken. It can take 30 seconds to open the data file. Then, when I enter transactions, there is now a delay (say 5 to 10 seconds) to process some of the transactions.

Why is it that, as computers get faster, everything seems to take longer?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW  I shouldn't have said "seriously" corrupted.  I have no way to really judge that.  So far the only indication you have is that copy doesn't work.  But is that "seriously", I don't know.  And I don't know if it will get worse.
    Signature:
  • THR
    THR Member ✭✭
    Chris, thanks. I have to think about this, but I think I just have to live with it and get used to living life on the edge. lol

Sherlock, thanks. I was actually on the phone with Quicken support yesterday with another issue (Quicken would launch the data file, but there were two empty pop-up dialog boxes asking me to enter my user ID). We fixed that and that was when I noticed the size of my data file. The technician I was talking to (Joe, who is a Saint in my book) spent a lot of time working through validations and super validations trying to get the copy process to work. We finally had to call it quits, though. I was trying to build on what he and I were doing. I found an article talking about using CONTROL SHIFT with the COPY function as a way to force Quicken to make a copy. It kind of worked, which led to my initial post above.

Again, thanks to both of you.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well as a comparison my data file takes about 15 seconds to open.  So 30 seconds is slow, but not "excessively" in my book.  If the the entering of transactions time of 5 to 10 seconds in a non investment account that time is "troubling".  Mine has basically no delay.  In investment accounts it is lot harder to judge "bad" because they are so dependent on how many securities/transactions/security lots are in that account.  But using Enter Transactions in even relatively small account can have "seconds of delay" before I can enter another transaction.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.