Spending over time

Greetings, I'm running a Spending Over Time report which should be exactly what I need to show me sending trends over the last year. However, neither my house payment (principal) nor my car payment are showing up in the breakdown. therefore, I assume they are not included in the total amount either. Both the house and car were set up as loans so I could track them, do what-if, etc. That means I'm doing a transfer each month when I make the payment. I've read to get Transfers to you have to customize, click Advanced, and show transfers. That option does not exist for the Spending Over Time report. I guess I can download into Excel and set up what I need there, but that kind of defeats the purpose for having a report that shows you spending, but REALLY doesn't. thoughts? anyone?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Principal portion of any loan payment is NOT an expense ... it's a transfer to reduce the amount owed.  The expense was when you originally made the purchase and took out the loan.  If you counted the Principal as an expense, you'd be counting the expense of that purchase twice.
    It sounds like you report is "Income & Expense" based.  See if you can find a "Cash Flow" based report and adapt it.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• So, I talked to Quicken support who tells me Spending Over Time will not show transfers because Quicken doesn't consider it spending, but more of a left pocket right pocket thing. I get their explanation, but when I set up the car loans and mortgage I set them up as loans so I could track them and do what-if analysis on extra payments and see amortization tables. I don't think I can do that if it's a liability account - can I? so on one hand they force me to set my accounts one way to have functionality, but on the other hand I can see it as spend. Anyone?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A "Cash Flow report" will include transfers.  Because the cash is flowing/moving from checking to your loan account.
    It will also include your other expenses.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.