Quicken for Mac v5.15 Released

124»

Comments

• RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    DHClem said:
    Quicken Premier 5.15.3 says I am using the most current version. HOW do I upgrade then?
    Unless there is a 5.15.4 that is in partial release that I don't know about, this IS the latest version. What are you hoping for from an update? Or are you talking about extending your subscription. Renewing your subscription will not give a new version and Premier is the highest Mac level of subscription so there is nothing to upgrade as far as I know.

Hope this help.
  • DHClem
    DHClem Member ✭✭✭
    I think I misread...thanks...
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    When manually entering transactions in any securities account, the date reverts back to today's date when hitting "+" to add a transaction, if the prior transaction was a Dividend or Interest Income. When adding a buy or sell, the new transaction uses the previously used date, which is useful when entering several transactions for a given date. I did not notice this last month, so it's possible something broke.

As an aside, can we have the option to save and close or save and enter new, on the manual entry screens. This exists in Windows Quicken and just makes it slightly less painful to enter things manually.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Zoolook said:
    When manually entering transactions in any securities account, the date reverts back to today's date when hitting "+" to add a transaction, if the prior transaction was a Dividend or Interest Income. When adding a buy or sell, the new transaction uses the previously used date, which is useful when entering several transactions for a given date. I did not notice this last month, so it's possible something broke.

As an aside, can we have the option to save and close or save and enter new, on the manual entry screens. This exists in Windows Quicken and just makes it slightly less painful to enter things manually.
    "Save and Enter" is Command+N while "Save and close" is Enter. The problem I see with them offering a user preference to make Enter into "Save and Enter" is that you'd have to remember to delete blanks transactions it creates when you don't actually want one. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    jacobs said:
    Zoolook said:

"Save and Enter" is Command+N while "Save and close" is Enter. The problem I see with them offering a user preference to make Enter into "Save and Enter" is that you'd have to remember to delete blanks transactions it creates when you don't actually want one. 

Thank you that's pretty handy! I thought there must be a keyboard shortcut,

Unfortunately it still defaults the transaction type to 'buy' rather than the last type I entered. I guess this is important to me because one of my brokerages doesn't send dividend payments correctly in the download, so I tend to enter them I bulk monthly or quarterly so usually have 5 - 10 of them at a time. 
  • Snoopy FC
    Snoopy FC Member ✭✭✭✭
    When's Version 6 coming?  Seems like we've been on Version 5 for way too long.  Just wondering when the next significant revision is coming. 
    QMac Subscription - iMac - Quicken Mac user since 1995
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    That's not something that Quicken normally discloses until the product is released. But since we're now in the subscription model, changes are evolutionary rather than revolutionary. My guess is that it would take a very dramatic change (eg. Home & Biz version for Mac) before they would jump to v6. In any case, it's just a nomenclature thing...doesn't really affect the development of the product. We may not see a v6 until they run out of 5.xx numbers. :smile:

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • mrfearless47
    mrfearless47 Member ✭✭
    @jacobs writes: "In the meantime, you can set up your Payees under the new system. You can try making a few payments to get the feel of it. And then you can continue using it by initiating payments when you want, or continue using the existing Quicken Bill Pay until they release the ability to schedule future bill payments on the new QuickPay and CheckPay."

@jacobs, but this begs the essential question. Will those abilities be enabled before the existing QBP dies? Otherwise, I'm stuck. My needs don't change just because the software doesn't support this ability. So, either they have it set up seamlessly before 8/31/2020, or I have to find another solution.
  • jacobs
    @mrfearless47  I can't say for certain if scheduled payments with the new QuickPay and CheckPay will be enabled before the old QBP is disabled on August 31. Reading what has been written by Quicken employees, and a little between the lines, it definitely seems like that's their intention. They just don't like to promise functionality will be delivered on a certain date until they have it completed and tested and ready for release, because things can and do go wrong at every stage of the development process. If I were a betting man, though, I'd bet on seeing a version of scheduled payments using the new system a month or more before August 31.
  • mrfearless47
    mrfearless47 Member ✭✭
    Well, I guess that is reassuring. We are getting down to the wire, and with dozens of vendors to pay, it seems like they ought not cut it so close. I pay all vendors for the coming month (when they are due) on a single date the month previous. That means payments can be scheduled as far as 5 weeks out to be certain they arrive on their due dates. Usually, I have to guess on one or two, but I typically guess slightly high and that resolves the following month. Not being around for at least 2.5 weeks every month makes this a major transition that I'm not looking forward to. I've been using Quicken, Checkfree, Metavante and all other bill pay solutions offered by Quicken (and before, Intuit) since 1990. While I've cut my vendors down substantially, the idea of beginning anew and having to rewire my account information is daunting to say the very least. Having more than 30 days to completely test this would be rather nice. I don't look forward to having to spend time with vendors and with Quicken searching out bills that don't reach their destination. The last time I had this problem was when CheckFree was dumped in favor of Metavante.
  • jacobs
    @mrfearless47  Today, Quicken started distribution of an update to Quicken Windows which apparently includes the ability to schedule future payments. I would assume that a similar update for Quicken Mac is likely forthcoming in the not-too-distant future. 
  • jacobs
    @mrfearless47  You noted that the last time this was an issue was the switch from CheckFree to Metavante, so I'd note that change happened back in 2004 -- 16 years ago. It's a pain to make a change, for certain, but it's not like they do this every couple years. ;)
  • mrfearless47
    mrfearless47 Member ✭✭
    @jacobs. The switch last time was anything but trouble or stress free. I need at least two billing cycles to be assured that everyone gets paid by the due date. It took me at least 2 years to debug Checkfree so that it was working seamlessly. It took me nearly 5 months to square away Metavante. So, I'm optimistic as payees get more used to totally electronic checking, that two months is adequate to shakedown all the bugs. At least Checkfree and Metavante were established players.

I'll be interested to see how trouble-free the transition is. In the meantime, my bank has a solution that is an option that I'm testing with July bills to see how it works in comparison to the existing Bill Pay option still offered by Quicken, and I will test out any option Quicken offers for the Mac if it arrives by the time my August bills are due to be scheduled in mid-July. I can't afford the time to be solving Quicken's problems while I'm away from home and away from my primary devices and often between 3-10 time zones away from the West Coast in either direction.
This discussion has been closed.