Does the drop box only save to PC or does it save to the cloud

AllanB
AllanB Member ✭✭
I recently signed up Drop Box. Backed up account file to the drop box folder. How does the cloud play a role. I already had a backup file.

Best Answers

Answers

• AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    loud should read Cloud
  • AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    Is this automatic or do I need to set it up? I have the app on my desktop but do not know what to do.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Dropbox is a cloud storage system.  It works by setting up a local Dropbox folder on your PC and replicating that folder (& subfolders) online within your account at Dropbox.com.  Whenever a file is updated locally, Dropbox will automatically update the cloud version of the same file.  As @Greg_the_Geek said, if you set up and complete a manual Quicken backup to the local Dropbox folder it should be automatically copied to your online Dropbox folder.
    So, you do need to have a Dropbox account where the cloud version is stored.  I have used Dropbox for years so I'm not sure exactly how the Quicken Dropbox offer works if you are just starting to use it.  I would assume that by accepting the offer, you are agreeing to establish the online account and probably accepting responsibility for managing or discontinuing the account after the free term of the offer expires.  You should be able to go to dropbox.com and verify that your backup file is up to date.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    AllanB said:
    loud should read Cloud
    I corrected it for you.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    Thank you all. One more question, do I use my Quicken username in the backup direction or do I create a new one
  • AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    My quicken username is a email address
  • AllanB
    AllanB Member ✭✭
    I used the subcategory name under users to backup as you advised. it created a new file on my PC. Will this backup be sent to the cloud automatically? How can I confirm?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't done so already, you should read through this support document;
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-start-using-dropbox

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @AllanB ,

Dropbox is a Cloud Storage, use to transfer files to your other computers as well as to store files as well to friends.

Dropbox is the same as One Drive from Microsoft. Dropbox needs to be installed on all computers, to transfer files, in place of using a USB Drive to share files.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

This discussion has been closed.