How to edit what accounts appear in the Home Screen Banking Account Details: Month To Date

Snowman
Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
How does one edit what accounts show for Banking Account Details:  Month to Date.  I have 12 Spending and Saving accounts and Quicken only picks 4 of them.  Quicken seems to have picked them at random and by chance ( I see no other logic). I want the first three but I would like to remove the fourth item.  I have checked Account Details and that are all the same except one of the accounts chosen is a "Savings" account and the rest are "Spending" accounts.  I am using Windows Pro 10.0.19041.329 and I have Quicken Premiere 2020 R27.28 Build 27.1.27.28.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do all 12 accounts have transactions in the selected Month to Date date range?
    Only accounts with transactions within that date range will be shown.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't usually look at this panel, but it does seem odd that it only picks up accounts that have transactions. It would be more useful IMO to see the balance of each account and the total of your banking accounts, including accounts with no transactions.

UKR said:
    Do all 12 accounts have transactions in the selected Month to Date date range?
    Only accounts with transactions within that date range will be shown.

QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't usually look at this panel, ...
    I think that's where the fly lies in the ointment ...
    how many customers actually use this display? I wish I had a way to find out ...
    Is this display working properly or not?
    What are the criteria to include (or not) a transaction in this display?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It would be more useful IMO to see the the balance of each account and the total of your banking accounts, including accounts with no transactions.

If that is what you want, use "Banking Account Activity" instead.
    Once you do that you will see why they created "Banking Account Details: Month to date".  But in reality they could have done it much better by allowing the user to pick the accounts they want to see.  But it seems that the main reason they didn't is they wanted to stick to some fixed rules so that they didn't have to save any user preferences,.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jim_Harman
    In my case, initially only checking and savings accounts with transactions in the current month appeared in the Banking account Details panel.

I added a test transaction in an account that was inactive this month and now that account appears as well, and its balance is included in the totals. 

I think it would be more useful it it included all accounts that are not Hidden or Separate, whether or not they have transactions, and/or gave you the ability to select which accounts are included. The current "Add account" on the gear menu.takes you to creating a new account

It would also be more useful if it gave you the ability to select a date range using the standard list of options, rather than being limited to Month to Date.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Seven of the 12 accounts have transactions every month.  It does seems that only the accounts with a transaction for the current month are shown.  It would make the more sense if you could choose what accounts are shown regardless of if there are any transactions for the current month, similar to designating an account hidden or not.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Sadly, this panel is riddled with bugs, or just not well thought out. "Add Account" should take you to the edit screen you are expecting to change accounts, instead of creating a new account. Another bug highlighted in this panel is "Deposits", which for me show zero as I use Income Reminders exclusively. Income Reminders does not provide for "Deposit" in the setup.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    Sadly, this panel is riddled with bugs, or just not well thought out.
    And yet here is the first time people are talking about it?
    This "panel/widget" has existed in its exact same form since the Home tab was create.  As are many of them that you can select.

These are some of the "forgotten".  Which BTW can have pluses and minuses.  Who here wants them to "modernized" the Bill & Reminders "panel/widget"?
    (After seeing what that looks like on the Bills & Income tab).

I remember more than one of these old ones where you couldn't change the selected accounts and the "Add Account" did the exact same thing is this one.  But interesting enough the one I remember the most has "recently" got a face lift.  That is the In/Out/What's left.
    Signature:
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    If the panel widgets are that poorly executed then they should either be fixed or removed.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snowman said:
    If the panel widgets are that poorly executed then they should either be fixed or removed.

You wouldn't happen to have a couple dozen experienced programmers who also have an in-depth knowledge of Quicken stashed away somewhere?
    Because that's, IMHO, what's so sorely missing here, giving the success rate with the latest batches of bug fixes ... attempt to fix one bug creates two new ones ...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @UKR it doesn't take much experience to remove it.   :)
    Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    Shouldn't take much experience to make the query the same as the one for the Banking Account Activity panel, which does pick up all the accounts. Looks like Account/Transaction vs Transaction/Account or something like that.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Shouldn't take much experience to make the query the same as the one for the Banking Account Activity panel, which does pick up all the accounts. Looks like Account/Transaction vs Transaction/Account or something like that.
    But will they do that?

There were similar complaints that the In/Out/What's Left was wrong, and if you look at it now, they didn't just "fix the problems" the revamped it completely.

Which is where the changes start scaring long time users.
    Signature:
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to coin an new term that seems to fit this situation... Jenga code.  Like the game the code for Quicken has become so intertwined and poorly documented that removing the wrong thing can cause the whole thing to come crashing down.
This discussion has been closed.