Bill and Income Reminder Opens in Full Size rather than last saved minimized size

I have been having this problem for several months. I am using Quicken 202 Ver. R26.15 Build 27.1.26.15. Whenever I open Bill and Income Reminders, it always opens to to Full Screen rather than minimized as I prefer. I can resize to Minimize but after I close, it reverts back to Full Screen. I have done some research within the Community and saw this problem mentioned for 2019 version. It referred to a compatibility fix which I tried - did not fix problem.

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Rodney Coday

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

How are you closing Quicken? Are you using the [X] in the right-hand corner?

If so, may I ask that you try closing by going to File > Exit? 

If the trouble persists, and you haven't done so already, please save a backup and apply the latest patch, available HERE.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • usausie
    usausie Member ✭✭
    I am using Quicken 2020 R26.23 Build 27.1.26.23 on a Windows 10 machine and I have recently been experiencing the same problem (about 1+ month). The Bill and Income Reminders page always goes to full screen when opened. I can resize, but once it is closed and reopened it is back to full screen (even within the same Quicken session, i.e. not exiting Quicken). The problem did disappear briefly after a recent Quicken update, but soon reemerged.
    This is very annoying as I use the page almost every session.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @usausie

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

I have a few more questions to help me understand what could be happening.

First, by Bills and Income Reminders page, do you mean you are using the "Manage Manual Bills and Income" option?

How are you closing Quicken? Are you using the [X] in the right-hand corner or  File > Exit?  Do you experience this issue closing Quicken using either method?

Also, how long have you been experiencing this issue?

Please let me know! 
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • usausie
    usausie Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Tyka

Yes, I am using 'Manage Bill & Income Reminders' under the 'Tools' menu and specifically the 'All Bills & Deposits' tab.

I usually close Quicken using the Red X in the top right-hand corner, but the same problem also occurs if I use File / Exit.

The problem occurs when ever I open the Bill & Income Reminders window, even within the same session, i.e. open Bill & Income Reminders, window maximizes, resize window, close Bill & Income Reminders, re-open Bill & Income Reminders, window maximizes.

The current problem has been occurring for several weeks, maybe two months.

Paul
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @usausie

Thank you for the response although I apologize for the delay.

If you are still experiencing this issue, I would start with uninstalling using the QcleanUI utility and then reinstalling the Quicken application.

https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just a heads up, I think you are barking up the wrong tree.

And I think everyone here will find that it isn't just the Bills and Income windows that opens in full screen.  For instance Ctrl+a which brings up the account list window will be full screen too.  If they use popup registers those will open up full screen too.

What I believe is happen is that Quicken believes that the user is using "Accessibility functions", as in a screen reader.  But this can be triggered by a lot of different things including settings like Narrator, or something programs that are trying to inject typing into programs like password managers.

A few years ago I tried to help with testing accessibility in Quicken, mostly with people that needed to use screen readers.  When Quicken detects accessibility functions turned on when it starts it goes into accessibility mode, and one of the ramifications of that is to maximize all the popup windows.  This is done because the screen readers can't read text that is outside of the visible window and making them as large as possible gives the screen readers the best chance to read everything.

Well like I said a lot of things can trigger this and there really should be a way to force this mode off, but Intuit never listened to that request.  What's more through my testing accessibility in Quicken is terrible and was getting worse with every new thing added to it.  There was only two people that were using screen readers that were still in the betas and such trying to get Quicken to be more accessible, but in the end we all gave up.  There just isn't any way to make Quicken accessible.  The whole mode should be scrapped.

It seems like for a time it was turned off because there were far less complaints, but I'm guessing recently they pulled back some old code, maybe when they restored the global search, and that is now triggering these problems again.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rodney Coday
    Rodney Coday Member ✭✭
    He's correct about CTRL+A brings up accounts in Full Screen Mode. I was just about to uninstall Quicken and reinstall. I guess I'll hold off for now.
  • usausie
    usausie Member ✭✭
    As per Chris_QPW, I can also confirm that Ctrl+A starts the Accounts window in full screen mode.

Chris_QPW's comment about accessibility twigged another issue I am having with blurry icons in the Sys Tray. That issue is apparently prevalent on systems with display scaling. I am currently using a couple of 4K monitors at their recommend resolution of 3840 x 2160, but with a display scaling of 150% (an accessibility related issue).

I changed the scaling back to 100%, then shutdown and rebooted my system (using restart did make any difference). Following the reboot, all Quicken windows opened with their previous sizing (i.e. not full screen).

I then changed the display scaling back to 150%, shutdown and rebooted. Quicken windows still maintained their previous sizing. However, I am not celebrating yet as this fix may also have accidentally happened a couple weeks ago (I do not recall the exact details and surrounding events), but Quicken reverted to opening windows to full screen after a few days.

I will continue to monitor and update this thread accordingly.
  • usausie
    usausie Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Opened Quicken this morning (Wed 10 Jun 2020) and the Manage Bill & Income Reminders window went to full screen (Account List also goes straight to full screen). These windows were maintaining their previous sizing when I checked on Mon 08 Jun 2020 (following my previous post on Sun 07 Jun 2020). I did not check yesterday (Tue 09 Jun 2020).

Last Microsoft Windows update was on 21 May 2020. There have been daily anti-virus updates.

Managed to restore correct operation Quicken windows by the following actions:
    - Change screen scaling from 150% to 100%
    - Reboot Windows
    - Open Quicken, open Bill & Income Reminders window, window goes to full screen
    - Resize Bill & Income Reminders window
    - Close Quicken
    - Re-open Quicken, open Bill & Income Reminders window, window goes to full screen
    - Resize Bill & Income Reminders window
    - Close Quicken
    - Reboot Windows
    - Open Quicken, open Bill & Income Reminders window, window maintains previous sizing
    - Change screen scaling from 100% to 150%
    - Reboot Windows
    - Open Quicken, open Bill & Income Reminders window, window maintains previous sizing
  • usausie
    usausie Member ✭✭
    Quicken has reverted back to full screen mode today (Fri 12 Jun 2020). Following changing the screen scaling in Windows on Wed, Quicken's Manage Bill & Income Reminders window opened in non-full screen mode yesterday (Thu 11 Jun 2020), but reverted to full screen mode today.

It appears that correct operation only lasts a couple of days. There was a major Windows updated applied yesterday, but it appear to not affect Quicken operation.
  • usausie
    usausie Member ✭✭
    edited July 2020
    (Removed-Self-Referencing Link)

Windows 2004 update was installed on my PC on 23 Jun 2020 (nine days ago). Since that date, both the Manage Bill & Income Reminders and Account List windows are no longer opening in full screen mode. The issue appears to have been resolved with the Windows update.
  • This started happening to me today (July 11, 2020). Quicken version R27.28 Build 27.1.27.28. I tried the display scaling fix I saw in another post, but that hasn't fixed the issue for me. This is annoying, please fix it.
  • Kerry Lawson
    Kerry Lawson Windows Beta Beta
    For me, this problem has existed for along time. I have not been fortunate enough to even see changes in behavior. I also checked and the Account List behaves the same. It is not just an issue that the window pops up full screen but many times there are other documents that are being viewed and are now covered up. It is inconsistent behavior.
  • Ray
    Ray Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have Quicken HBR versions R28.10 build 27.1.28.10. Both Accounts and Reminder screens continue to open to about 40% wide on left of screen for a second that changes to full screen. It's been doing this for well over a month. Clicking restore (square next to X to close window) reduces it back to about 40% wide on left of screen. Resizing works but once closed and selected again both open full screen again. A solution is long overdue.
  • mftovey
    mftovey Member ✭✭
    I have been seeing this issue for several years now and across two computers. Fresh install of Quicken on the new computer. Latest version of Quicken (Version R28.18, Build 27.1.28.18). Windows fully patched. I tried the screen scaling fix described here and that did not change anything.
    I have been working with computers for a very long time (I started writing FORTRAN 7 on punch cards in the '70s) and I know that these problems have a have a resolution if you look hard enough, put in the proper debugging and tracing code, etc. Basically, take interest in solving the problem.
    I think Quicken just doesn't believe that this issue is big enough to dedicate resources to trying to fix. Instead they have their support team throw out random ideas without studying the real root cause of the problem.
    Quicken works well enough that I will keep using it, but if a good enough alternative ever comes along, I will probably be one of the first ones to switch to it.
  • Ray
    Ray Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I've submitted this issue with Help > Report a Problem many times.[removed - violation of community guidelines] After 5 updates it persists. 
  • Ray
    Ray Member ✭✭✭✭
    The 6th update didn't fix this issue. Spent an hour with support. Used QCleanUI to remove Quicken. Created "Quicken New" folder in Programs (x86) even though QClean had removed the "Quicken" folder. Downloaded fresh Quicken and install in "Quicken New" folder. This would create new Registry entries. This did not fix the issue. Escalated case.
  • msoontor
    msoontor Member
    To add to this, I'm still on an old version of Quicken 2015 that is blocked from accessing the Internet by my firewall. It last updated around 2016, so I know nothing has changed about it. All I use it for is to manually enter and track bank transactions, so it does what I need it to do.

Out of nowhere, it started having the issue described here where pop sub-windows (Accounts List, Bill Reminders), started maximizing every single time. The only thing that changed on my system was installing the drivers for a Wacom drawing tablet. When I uninstalled the tablet drivers and restarted Windows, Quicken went back to working as expected.

For what it's worth, the Wacom tablet drivers also caused something strange to happen with the display of PDFs in an old version of Acrobat 9 Pro I have on my computer. Uninstalling the Wacom drivers also resolved that. I think it has something to do with display accessibility options, just as documented above.

(There's probably a lesson in here somewhere about not running ancient versions of programs, but with everything now being a subscription model, really no need to upgrade when the existing programs still do the job.)