Why do the Windows / Arrow keys not position the Quicken app window as expected?

I am a heavy user of hot-keys. I am frustrated by the fact that the Windows/Arrow keys do not position the Quicken app window as way they do for all other apps. I haven't really taken the time to try and figure out the "logic" of how the function in Quicken. I am sure that it is not random - but is frustrating. I frequently want Quicken on the left half of the screen and something else on the right. Getting Quicken where I want it usually takes multiple hot-key strokes. What I have found is that Windows/RightArrow puts Quicken on the left!? And vise versa. Just odd. :/

Why is this happening?

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What "hot-key" app are you using?  Because while QWin has "shortcut" keys (such as CTRL-A for your account list), it doesn't have "hot-keys" as such.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Daddio25
    Daddio25 Member ✭✭✭
    @NotACPA I am not using an app - just Windows hot-keys. Maybe Quicken has redefined some of the them? Is there a complete list of Q hot-keys?
  • Daddio25
    Daddio25 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > What this means is that they are controlling the size and position of the main Quicken "fake" Window instead of letting the standard APIs handle it.  And frankly they aren't that good at it.

That is a HUGE understatement. :D

Thanks for the explanation. That helps. At least I understand why.

I had noticed that the window "frame" was not standard, but hadn't noticed the extra functions that were added. I just don't use them. Couldn't they just put them along side the regular menus? Not a Windows programmer so don't know how much that would take.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Daddio25 said:
    Couldn't they just put them along side the regular menus? Not a Windows programmer so don't know how much that would take.
    Yes, they could have and it was suggested to them many times by me and another programmer.  But "saving face" and pretending to be able to do what Microsoft can do is evidently more important to them.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Daddio25
    Daddio25 Member ✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW Too bad. I would think that better user experience should drive this sort of thing.
This discussion has been closed.