How do I get the numbers in one of My Saved Reports to add up to the correct total?

DLCas
DLCas Member ✭✭
I have tripled checked the numbers my numbers with my calculator. I've been using Quicken very extensively for more than 15 years! I'm currently using the 2020 Quicken Premier.

Best Answers

• DLCas
    DLCas Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for you help, Rocket. I did a search in my IRA account that I was having trouble with and found a transaction that I had mistakenly entered in 2019. After I deleted that entry, the account showed the correct toal that match my brokerage statement. David

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which report - and what seems to be the overall problem ?
    I've personally stumbled over reports where I have missed including something....
    - account, security, category, tag, etc....  

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• DLCas
    DLCas Member ✭✭
    In the drop down under "Reports" I created a "PortfolioValueByAccount" report that has two accounts: a regular brokerage account and an IRA account. This report shows the individual securities, # of shares, security price as of a certain date (that I change to the next quarter end each quarter), cost basis, gain/loss, & balance for each security & cash held in of the two accounts and it shows the total value of each account and the total value of the portfolio.

The IRA account has 23 individual holdings including cash. When I add up the individual holdings included in the Quicken report, the report shows a total account balance that is $22076 lower than the number that than the number that I get when I add up the total of the 23 individual holdings shown in the report, and I get a total that is $22076 lower than the total that I get when I use my calculator to add up the numbers shown in the report. Quicken is not adding up the numbers correctly in the report.

None of the holdings in the account equal $$22076. I have been reconciling both cash & account value in Quicken to my broker's statements each quarter for many years. For these many years Quicken has always added up the numbers in this report correctly each and every quarter. I have not changed any holdings in this account for a number of quarters, and Quicken has always produced the accurate total in this report.

Is there a solution to this problem?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi @DLCas,

Are you adding up the numbers only in the far right column - i.e. the "Balance" column?  Or have you also tried adding up the other columns such as "Cost Basis" and "Gain/Loss" t see is they crossfoot?
    Also, there shouldn't be, but are there any negative numbers in the column that you are "adding up"?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of things to check:
    -- Does the balance for each of the securities in the report match the balance on your statement?

-- Have you done a File > File Operations > Validate file? This may resolve any inconsistencies in your data. 

-- Also since this is a saved report that you have been using and updating for many years, you might try re-creating the report from the standard Investing > Portfolio Value report and see if that fixes the problem.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Quicken sometimes forgets 3rd grade arithmetic.
    The easy way to check is to export your report to Excel. Then you can select cells and Excel will show you the sum at the bottom. I just created a new Portfolio Value report in a validated file and I can find a few places where the numbers don't add up. The bottom cell in the image is Q's sum. You can see Excel's correct sum below that.
    Another view in Quicken of the same data (in the Account Overview) shows the correct sum:

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been problems with this report related to split transactions. Similar problems with other reports were fixed a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure if Quicken ever got to this one...

Please see this discussion and see if it applies to your situation
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7719827/account-balances-report-shows-negative-cash-when-there-are-withdrawals-with-splits
    QWin Premier subscription
  • DLCas
    DLCas Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for you help, Rocket. I did a search in my IRA account that I was having trouble with and found a transaction that I had mistakenly entered in 2019. After I deleted that entry, the account showed the correct toal that match my brokerage statement. David
This discussion has been closed.