How do I account for transfers from one investment account to another?

craig.
craig. Member ✭✭✭
Vanguard transferred my holdings from an older (investment?) account to a newer brokerage account. The actual holdings in the individual fund accounts did not actually change, just the type of account Vanguard recommended.

When I ran quicken update, it zeroed out my old account and prompted me to identify the new brokerage account where it deposited the "new" shares. This effectively destroyed the ability to track my cost basis, historical performance, etc.

Is there some way to (now go back and) transfer my holdings from the old account style to the new one such that the "Investing" tab will display correct cost basis, historical performance, etc?

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use Vanguard, but they seem to be trouble for Quicken.
    I would restore a backup with your old account intact. Then deactivate your account for downloads. Then "add" the account back as if it were a new account. You should be able to LINK the new Vanguard account with your existing Quicken investment account and carry on from there.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will also have to delete or not accept whatever transactions Vanguard downloads to move your holdings from the old account to the new one. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • craig.
    craig. Member ✭✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > ... Then "add" the account back as if it were a new account. ...

Add it as a new account or edit the account numbers in the old account? sounds pretty similar to what I did do. I deactivated the old account and added a new one. on my next update, the number of shares for each fund were added as "bought". Thus all the cost basis from the old account is not visible and no cost basis for the opening balance. My only cost basis now is what I have purchased or reinvested since the conversion, thus reflecting huge gains and posting incorrect rates of return.

> @Jim_Harman said:
    > You will also have to delete or not accept whatever transactions Vanguard downloads to move your holdings from the old account to the new one. 

Would I make a transfer transaction from the old account to the new one, before accepting subsequent transactions? I think I tried to do that before, but quicken said I didn't have sufficient balances in the account to make the transfer out. Probably because I was working from a version that had already accepted the transactions zeroing out the old account.

As additional information, the transfer was in early June. Wouldn't restoring a pre-transfer version would require A LOT of other effort to update all my other bank & credit card accounts & their transactions?

I was hoping it might be something as simple as deleting the transactions zeroing out the old account, creating a new account, transferring the balances from the old to the new, then activating the new for downloads.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You stated that the old account was "zeroed out". Was that via remove Transactions that were then offset by Add Transactions in the new brokerage account?  If so, then you should be able to delete, the remove ones and delete the add ones, and then do a transfer all securities from the old account to the new one.  BACKUP FIRST.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• craig.
    craig. Member ✭✭✭
    > @Bob_L said:
    > You stated that the old account was "zeroed out". Was that via remove Transactions that were then offset by Add Transactions in the new brokerage account?  If so, then you should be able to delete, the remove ones and delete the add ones, and then do a transfer all securities from the old account to the new one.  BACKUP FIRST.

I thought I (unsuccessfully) tried that already, but I tried it again. This time my cost basis appears to have been corrected. Expanded view of transactions looks like it transferred each lot from the old account to the new account individually. So, my overall cost/gain/loss on the account now appears accurate.

But the Return (%) YTD, Average Annual Return (%) 1, 3,and 5 years are not accurate. In fact for each fund the 1, 3, and 5 year values are the same.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be sure the old account is included in the portfolio view  and reports.  Otherwise you will be seeing the period just since the securities have been added to the new account.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

This discussion has been closed.