The minimum amount due rounds down

Several credit card accounts that I have show the amount due rounded down to the nearest dollar. Aside from being very dangerous (eg. missing a minimum payment) it's a pretty bad user experience because I can't trust any of the amounts due and so I have to log in manually to each site to verify for myself the amounts. Is this being fixed?

Best Answer

Answers

• Hello @Mark Victor,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, although I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing these difficulties in Quicken.

If you are still needing assistance, please take a moment to review the information available here and post back to let us know what version and release of Quicken you're using.

Please also let us know if you're seeing this discrepancy in the balance of credit card accounts that you're tracking in Quicken, or if you're referring to an Online Bill and/or Bill Reminder.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• Mark Victor
    Mark Victor Member ✭✭
    I'm using 2020 R28.10. The issue I'm describing is with the list of online bills. The credit card minimum payments in some, not all cases, are rounded down to the nearest dollar. Now that I've discovered this, I have to manually log in to each site to determine what is owed exactly so that I don't send an amount that is short.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Mark Victor

Thank you for the response and for providing additional details.

I am currently not seeing this issue with any of the bills in my file.

I have a few questions to help me better understand what could be happening.

First, are these bills all online billers, meaning the credentials have been entered into the biller's website to obtain the amount that is being displayed? 

If this is happening for some and not for others, are there any noticeable differences between the ones working and the ones that are incorrect?

Please let us know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Mark Victor
    Mark Victor Member ✭✭
    Yes, they are all online billers (credit cards). Credentials are entered and the authentication and setup is all good - no errors or anything like that. The typical scenario is a minimum payment due of say $49.83 will show as $49.00 in Quicken.

There is no noticeable difference between the billers. They are all just name brand, nationally recognized credit cards. They have all been scheduled for this month, so I won't be able to tell until next month which ones had the issue and which didn't.
  • Mark Victor
    Mark Victor Member ✭✭
    As I mentioned above, once I noticed the issue, I logged on to every account to confirm the exact amount due and then overrode the amount suggested in Quicken. I would say that out of 12 accounts, about half had the issue.
  • Mark Victor
    Mark Victor Member ✭✭
    It seems inconceivable statistically that no other user sees this. Doesn't Quicken have 10s or 100s of thousands of people using this?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    It seems inconceivable statistically that no other user sees this. Doesn't Quicken have 10s or 100s of thousands of people using this?
    EDIT - I spoke to soon.  Turns out since I do not usually carry large balances most months are even dollar minimums.  On months with larger balances I did find a biller with a minimum that included .90.  It was a Bank Of Hawaii Mastercard (managed by Barclays).  So, rounding would be a problem if you chose to pay the minimum.
    It will be interesting to learn which other billers don't round their minimum amount due.

Well I was curious and I checked all my credit card bills (the PDF copies) and every single one had an even dollar amount as the  minimum amount due.  I always thought this was pretty much standard.  

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Mark Victor
    Mark Victor Member ✭✭
    Good point @jrfaris maybe the balance is the differentiation. Looking over mine now, some with high balances are still even numbers, but some aren't. All the low balances are even. So I guess based on my anecdotal super small data set I guess it can be said that low balances are always even and high balances are sometimes not even.

As far as Quicken goes, I can say that the the amount due is not always even. Sometimes if the card's amount due has change, Quicken will show it accurately. But at other times it won't. So it leads to the problem that whenever Quicken shows an even number it can't be trusted.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could simply round all your payments up to the next dollar and not worry about the pennies.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.