Online bill vs. Manual bill

Options
When setting up a payee, this is the first question I have to answer.  First off, I am assuming that "online" means Quick Pay, and "manual" means Check pay.  If I don't know whether or not the payee is one of your 11,000, how do I decide?  Is the correct strategy for me to try online first and see if I can find the payee.  Then if not found, to switch to set up a manual bill for that payee?  I take it that with the new Bill Manager, you are not using ACH to make payments.  With Metavante (Quicken Bill Pay) we could still get "online" payments with 2 day lead time through ACH.  Now, if you have not set up a special relationship with a payee, the only default payment is manual and sending a paper check.  No middle of the road option.   
Quicken user since 1991 (first Windows 3.2 version), Beta tester, accounting partner.

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just wondering - have you looked at your own bank, and if they offer their own online bill payment service.  There are hundreds that are directly supported by Quicken...
    I happen to use - Chase - and it works great - my payment transactions are sent directly to the Chase online bill payment service - and then paid -
    Look to see if your bank online webiste has a bill payment section / feature -
    or.... just share what bank you might use for bill payment -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Your assumptions are not correct.  

Online bill
     means the bill will be obtained from one of the Online Billers.  When linked to a reminder, the amount of the reminder is set to the amount of the online bill obtained.  A manual bill is a bill reminder that is not linked to an online bill.  We set the amount of the manual bill.

Quick Pay may only be used to pay online bills.  Otherwise, online bills and manual bills may be paid using any payment method.  For example, we may pay an online bills and manual bills using the online bill payment service provided by a financial institution.

When we use Quick Pay, the third-party provider informs the online biller to debit the account we provided for use to pay our bill.  The method used to debit the account and any additional fees is controlled by the online biller.

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Gordon Everest

I just wanted to follow-up on @ps56k's comment.

You should understand that if Quicken's "Quick Pay" and/or "Check Pay" processes don't work for you, or if you simply decide that you want to use an other option - your current bank (or perhaps another bank that you don't currently have an account with) may be able to serve your needs regarding bill payment.

There are many banks that have bill payment services that interface directly, and - in my view - seamlessly with Quicken.  As @ps56k mentioned, Chase (for one), and many other banks, including but not limited to PNC, Bank of America, Affinity Bank and FCU, BB&T Bank, BBVA Bank, BankFirst, CIBC Bank USA, California Bank & Trust, Citizens Bank & Trust, certain City National banks, F&M Bank, M&T Bank, several People's banks, SunTrust Bank, TD Bank, and many, many other banks/financial institutions across the country offer bill payment services and many of them at no charge.

So your potential options are not all that limited, after all.

Let me know if you have any followup questions.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

This discussion has been closed.