Why does the total of income and expense show a minus figure which is the total of both columns?

My budget shows the total of income and expense as a minus figure which is the total of both income and expense, not the difference.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    For a budget, the total (aka net difference) should be the income minus the expense.
  • golfnref55
    golfnref55 Member
    Your answer was exactly what my problem was speaking about. Instead of the net difference between the budgeted amount and the expense, my budget shows a minus figure which is the total of the income and expense. ie. Income total $10,000.00, expense total $9,000.00. Total line should show the difference between the two , which would be $1,000. My budget adds the income and expense together and comes up with a total of minus ($19,000).
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

• golfnref55
    golfnref55 Member
    Quiken Deluxe 2018
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did you enter the numbers for your budget's Expense categories?
    Did you enter them as positive or negative numbers?
    Budgeted amounts for both Income and Expense categories are entered as unsigned positive numbers.
    Look at the numbers reported in your budget for actual expenses. If you spent $100 for Auto:Gasoline, that will show as 100.00
    The number you enter for your budgeted amount must also be entered like that, e.g., 125.00
    Doing it that way, Quicken will do the math correctly.
  • golfnref55
    golfnref55 Member
    This is no help at all. I'm not a third grader. I know how to enter income and expense numbers. If it would help, I converted an older version of Quicken to a new one when I bought a new computer. I already had a perfectly good working budget. The problem is the numbers did not convert correctly. I am trying to find out why.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry. Without sufficient detail information on what you have done, how you have done it and what your results look like, no one here will be able to help you.
    What older version did you have? How did you convert the old version's data file?

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• golfnref55
    golfnref55 Member
    I gave sufficient info in my last post on Aug 26. But I will try to explain further. A budget has two basic entries, Income and expense. When you put in the entries for the two, you hope the income will exceed the expenditures. That is the difference between the two. The budget that appeared after my conversion from my older Quicken to the newer version has a total stated in a minus figure. That would be understandable if the total was an amount smaller than either column. The budget I ended up with shows a figure which is the total of the income and expenditures and this figure is stated as a minus figure. As stated before, if income was $10,000.00 and expense was $9,000.00 The bottom line would be $1,000.00, the difference between the two. The budget my new Quicken shows the the bottom line as a minus figure. In my example that would be ($19,000.00)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quiken Deluxe 2018
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

This discussion has been closed.