Apple stock split----YEAR TO DATE RETURNS

Gary R
Gary R Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in Investing (Windows)
Apple had a stock split yesterday. The new shares and price are shown correctly.
However, Year to Date Returns are really messed up. It looks like they are still showing the old price times the new split shares.

Best Answers

Answers

• Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    It was just updated and looks good----However, I looked at Investment Performance for Vanguard and it shows the new Apple share as New Investment Added--This really screws up the Reurns numbers
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I thought I hit it big today! I logged on my Vanguard account and my Market Value of Apple was way way up----I said now I can Retire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Crap---------LOLha
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for your imput---
  • Gary R
    Gary R Member ✭✭✭
    I just want to make sure that I'm entering the transaction correctly.
    If I want to manually enter today, I go to Enter transaction for account, drop down menu to stock split and enter numbers.
    Friday close price was $499.23. Do I enter $124.8074 for new price?
    Check want to verify
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    During OSU this morning the stock split was downloaded.  I then deleted the errant stock prices of the last week and then downloaded AAPL stock prices for the past month.  It all looks good now.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this stock split transaction with the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

If you haven't already, please see the steps available here, which should help to resolve the incorrect values.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this stock split transaction with the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

If you haven't already, please see the steps available here, which should help to resolve the incorrect values.

Thank you,

Sarah
    Keeping the downloaded stock split date of 8/31 (which is the actual date of the split...occurred just before the market opening this morning) and then deleting the errant share prices of the last week followed by downloading prices for those dates, again, worked just fine for me.  No need to "fool" Quicken by changing the stock split date to 8/28.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• sfshank
    sfshank Member ✭✭
    Apple stock split 4:1 at start of trading 8/31/20, as announced by Sarah.
    1. After updating stock prices in Quicken the Apple prices were split adjusted as of 8/24/20, should be 8/31/20, so the week of 8/24-8/28 has wrong data.
    2. Schwab download includes "shares added" for Apple. If you accept the download as well as the stock split, you get a 16 times as many shares as before. I suggest you accept the split as of 8/31 and delete the Schwab download entry.
    3. I disagree with the advice "we recommend manually adjusting the transaction to be dated 8/28/2020", because the split did not happen on that date. The shares should be adjusted on the same data as the stock price, which is 8/31/20.
  • Reed Welch
    Reed Welch Member ✭✭✭
    The data for TSLA is also incorrect, and showing similar errors.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    it will all be better on Tuesday...
    I did not accept and deleted the ADD SHARES -
    Performed the Stock Split as per the Quicken suggestion
    If you need the Apple prices from last week - you can update them manually.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    When using the stock split feature in Quicken Mac Deluxe 2020, it appears as if the fractional shares were also impacted.  My share balance in QM is 5.018.  However, my share balance w/ Merrill is 5.0045.  

Also, it appears as if the opening price value up to 8/24 is now $0.00 in the price history log.

Any insights?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J. Holmes Per Quicken, you had 1.0045 before the split, and 4.0180 after the split - and then bought one more share bringing the total to 5.018.  That is the correct math.  It sounds like Merrill did not apply the split to the fractional share.  Ask them why not.  (May be valid.  There may be language in the Apple directive to only apply to whole shares.)

Win version does not track opening value (interesting), so I can't offer anything there.  (And this is an Investing (Windows) discussion, so you might want to ask the same of your Mac users).   
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    @q_lurker - Thanks.  I will give it a day or two and then check with Merrill.  I agree, the math is correct within Quicken.  

I suppose I was proactively looking for an alternative option in the event Merrill does not apply the split to the fractional shares.  

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking about it my ‘it may be valid’ hypothesis can’t be right. The result would be you’d have shares with a $500/share basis you could only sell at a significant loss. No way that would be ‘fair’. I think Merrill will straighten it out. 
  • All I needed to do for the Apple split was edit the position to read 4 to 1 split. Changing the date to Friday resulted in a graphing issue.
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    Thinking about it my ‘it may be valid’ hypothesis can’t be right. The result would be you’d have shares with a $500/share basis you could only sell at a significant loss. No way that would be ‘fair’. I think Merrill will straighten it out. 

Merrill ended up crediting my account with cash for the fractional shares.  Thereby, I did the following.  Everything appears to be ok now.