Why haven't I been able to download stock prices since 4/1/2020

HDHD1818
HDHD1818 Member ✭✭
edited September 2020 in Investing (Mac)
I can't download stock prices in my Quicken Mac

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    What version of Quicken are you using?  Quicken->About Quicken

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• HDHD1818
    HDHD1818 Member ✭✭
    Mac 2017
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Online banking support (downloading transactions, quotes, etc) ceased for Quicken 2017 on 4/30/2020.  Discontinuation Policy 
    BTW, you should only mark questions as an "answer" if they answer the original question, not subsequent questions that were asked to clarify the original question, so your marking the "Mac 2017" answer as an answer was undone.

• HDHD1818
    HDHD1818 Member ✭✭
    How can I manually download stock prices?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Windows user, we will need for a Mac user to answer that question.  I'll flag this for them.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I am going to describe how to manually import security prices. Since you have an expired version of Quicken, as mentioned above, you cannot download prices directly in Quicken. You will have to download them from some other source, then import them.

Open menu Window > Securities. Double click the security whose price history you wish to import. Click the Price History tab. Click the Options button at the bottom, then Import Price History from CSV file. Follow the instructions that pop up.

Unfortunately, this only works one security at a time. There is no way to manually import a list of security prices for multiple securities in QMac 2017.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • HDHD1818
    HDHD1818 Member ✭✭
    What version of QUICKEN FOR MAC do I need to get. I have been downloading all the latest updates.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subscription Quicken (2018+ for US, 2017+ for Cdn) with a current (non-expired) subscription will provide the updates.  Since it is a subscription, you will need to renew the subscription from time to time depending on how long your subscription purchase is (12-24 months).
    You can purchase this from Quicken.com or from their retail partners, such as Amazon or the big box stores.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @HDHD1818  You wrote that you were using Quicken 2017. That's a four year-old version, and support for it was discontinued as of April 30, 2020. The current version is simply called Quicken for Mac, and although they're phasing out the year designations, you may see it marketed in some places as Quicken 2020.

After 2017, Quicken moved to a straightforward subscription pricing model. You buy a subscription for a year, or two years, and as long as your subscription is active, you get full access to downloads of transactions and price quotes, all updates and bug fixes, and free access to Quicken Support. There are no longer new annual versions with each calendar year; updates come throughout the year, typically about 5-7 times a year. If you continue to maintain/renew your subscription you have a continually updated program.

If you don't renew your subscription, it will be like the situation you have now with Quicken 2017 -- you can continue to use it and add transactions manually, but you stop getting updates, and stop getting downloads; the program also takes over the right quarter of your Quicken screen for a persistent reminder to renew your subscription.

Quicken Deluxe retails for $49.99/year from Quicken, although there are often discounted prices on Quicken.com. You can often find it for less at Amazon or other retailers. Just looking quickly now, Staples and Best Buy currently have it for $29.99, which is about the lowest price you are likely to find.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.