I & E Report | Category shows 0.00 when there should be an amount

Options
1. credit card pmt made from ckg. and categorized as regular expense, not a transfer.

2. When I generated the I & E report the category shows 0.00 when in fact there should be an amount of $300 showing. (This report is for June, July and August 2020)

* attached PDF shows a split screen between the register and I & E report
** screen shot of the transaction in question.

Went through quicken chat on Tuesday-- we did all of the usual things: created a new category, backup and restore, supervalidate, deleted and reentered the transaction and nothing. I checked the category list to make sure there wasnt anything weird about that. I did a cashflow report-- and it also shows as 0.00

. . I can print a transaction report-- no problem. The transaction shows up there.

Anybody have any ideas about why this is??

Thank you in advance for any insight!
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Elaine2 - If @Tom Young is correct (I suspect he is), then you can confirm this zeroing out in the CrCd-Pmt category by pulling up an Itemized Categories report which should show the details.
    You might want to consider using a transfer from your checking account to your credit card account, instead.  A credit card payment really is not an expense (although I know it sure feels like it!).  The expense was created when you used the credit card to pay for things and that is what you want to be shown in your I & E reports.  A transfer from your checking account to your credit card is simply a cash asset transfer to pay for the purchases you made with your credit card.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Elaine2
    Elaine2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello Tom-- Thank you for this reply.

Based on reply I tried a couple of things:

* unchecked the USAA Credit card account in the I&E-- and the $300 shows up in the repoprt. But!-- then the charge on the credit card doesn't show up.

*. . .By *NOT* including the category CrCd-pmt category in the I&E report, the transactions of both payments and charges appear uSAA cr card account and therefore the payment TRX *is* in fact accounted for.

I hope this makes sense. I think this is what you were saying.

Elaine.
  • Elaine2
    Elaine2 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Thank you "boatmaniac"-- for your reply as well!

You make an excellent point!

Back in the dark ages of Quicken, I stopped using the transfer between accounts function because if would completely [removed] up the reconciliation process. So you were now-- not only out of balance on checking account but the credit card account.

That problem was resolved when quicken improved and it became easier to balance. When the transction downloads-- it is treated as a transfer. So for the next calendar year-- I will convert back to that default.

many thanks for your timely reply!! -- Elaine.
  • Elaine2
    Elaine2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello-- and thank you! 

I will print this out and visualize it try it out. 

BTW-- do you prefer your avatar name or do you have a regular name. It's just a courtesy I think-- to refer to people by their given name. : -) 

Glad I was able to solve this cunundrum today.

Be well and be safe! and thank you again.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Elaine2 - People get to select their user names when they set up their Community account and it's best to refer to them when posting here by their selected user names, if for no other reason than to let everyone know who you are directing your question or comment to.  Some people select their given names, others select their email address (NOT recommended) while others prefer to use something fictitious for a variety of reasons, whether it's because they prefer to remain anonymous or because they want it to communicate something about themselves.  If someone doesn't like being referred to by the user name they have selected they can ask one of the Moderators to change it to something else.  I selected Boatnmaniac because I like boatin' and my wife sometimes calls me a maniac (lovingly, I hope :D).  Put the 2 together and voila...Boatnmaniac!  The avatar is just something that I think fits well with that. 
    In Community, if you put "@"  before the person's user name it will send a notification to that person that they have a message or that someone has referenced you in a post.  So, to keep a discussion in a post thread alive it's best to put that symbol before the person's username. 

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)