Unable to properly record a stock sale

Hilltop83
Hilltop83 Unconfirmed ✭✭
edited May 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I am trying to manually record the total sale of a stock. In the transaction dialog box I select "sell all shares" and it shows the proper number of shares (5000).

I assign the lots and it also shows the proper total number of shares (5000). But when I go to enter the transaction I get a message that there are only 4999 shares available.

I'm at a loss. I can sell the 4999 shares and force the price backwards to get the cash proceeds right, but I will be left with a single share floating in the account that does not exist.

Any suggestions?

I don't use placeholders (a suggestion in a previous post), so I cannot figure out what is going on.

There used to be a way to force Quicken to recalculate lots but I cannot remember how to do that (if it still exists).
Tagged:

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hilltop83 said:
    There used to be a way to force Quicken to recalculate lots but I cannot remember how to do that (if it still exists).
    CTRL-Z in the investment register.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Hilltop83
    Hilltop83 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    OK, that didn't resolve the problem. Still get the same result when I try to enter the transaction. Any suggestions?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're selling the entire position of a stock why not use the "Sell All Shares ..." option?  That will accomplish your goal, and get around what I believe to be a fractional shares issue.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Hilltop83 said:
    In the transaction dialog box I select "sell all shares" and it shows the proper number of shares (5000).

NotACPA said:
    If you're selling the entire position of a stock why not use the "Sell All Shares ..." option?

We're gonna take away your super user cape, @NotACPA.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    OBVIOUSLY, I haven't had enough coffee today.  Off to the Keurig :o

I'[ll also mention that this is a prime example of why I hate big blocks of text with no "white space"

• Hilltop83
    Hilltop83 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Understand about the white space comment. Will keep it in mind next time, ;) but there was no logical place to break. . .

And, just an FYI, I'm not a newbie. I've been on this system since DOS just haven't been on here for a while and I guess I lost all my status and had to re-register.

I am really stumped on this. I've tried everything I can think of short of fudging the whole transaction. I reported the issue through the reporting tool in the program as well. I was just hoping you'd all think of something I had not.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    It's not easy when Q insists on seeing the wrong number of shares. Is the remainder exactly 1.000 shares, or something more clearly a rounding error like 0.998?
    You can try the Update Share Balance command under the gear menu, which I doubt will work but who knows with Q?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something is confusing me here.  If you're doing a "Sell All ..." why do you have to select lots?
    ALL lots should be automatically selected with a "Sell All ..."
    And, after the 2nd "(5000)" would have been a good place for a break.  And there's a couple of other possible places.

• Hilltop83
    Hilltop83 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    > @"Rocket J Squirrel" said:
    > It's not easy when Q insists on seeing the wrong number of shares. Is the remainder exactly 1.000 shares, or something more clearly a rounding error like 0.998?You can try the Update Share Balance command under the gear menu, which I doubt will work but who knows with Q?

You were right. This didn't work. It's an investment account with multiple stocks. Update shares only seems to work if it is an account with only a single investment. There is no place to select which stock shares you want to adjust.
  • Hilltop83
    Hilltop83 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Something is confusing me here.  If you're doing a "Sell All ..." why do you have to select lots?ALL lots should be automatically selected with a "Sell All ..."And, after the 2nd "(5000)" would have been a good place for a break.  And there's a couple of other possible places.

My past experience with Quicken is that even if I do a sell all, it doesn't apply the sale to lots unless I go through the exercise of selecting them. So it 's a habit I have.

I tried to post the transaction without selecting lots. Same result. It tells me there's only 4999 shares available when the portfolio and "sell all . . " tell me there's 5000.

Better white space?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @hilltop

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and research this further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Hilltop83 said:
    You were right. This didn't work. It's an investment account with multiple stocks. Update shares only seems to work if it is an account with only a single investment. There is no place to select which stock shares you want to adjust.
    I see a place to enter the security when doing an Update Share Balance. Do you not see this? Unfortunately, I see every security in every account. It would be smarter for Quicken to only show the securities in the particular account which I'm looking at.

• Hilltop83
    Hilltop83 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I see a place to enter the security when doing an Update Share Balance. Do you not see this? Unfortunately, I see every security in every account. It would be smarter for Quicken to only show the securities in the particular account which I'm looking at.
    > (Image)

Odd, I didn't get the option to select a security when I tried on Saturday. Perhaps I was just looking at the screen for too long. . .

So I tried again tonight and it was there. So I attempted to update the share balance to 5000. The result: A message that said "No adjustment required". Gotta love it!
  • Hilltop83
    Hilltop83 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    > @Quicken_Tyka said:
    > Hello @hilltop Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.
    >
    > At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.
    >
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support
    >
    >
    > Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and research this further.
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > -Quicken Tyka

Tyka-
    I will follow up with support, but not for a week or so. I'll be away and won't have access to my system until I return. Thank you for your response.
  • Hilltop83
    Hilltop83 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Just thought I would report on my call to support in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Quite honestly, the "solution" makes no sense to me, but it allowed me to get the transaction posted. The agent had me post one transaction of 4999 shares and then a second transaction of only 1 share. Although I doubted the software would accept the second transaction, it did. So all 5000 shares are properly removed from my investment account.

He also stated that if this approach had not worked, we were going to have to revert to a backup where the system would accept the transaction because this behavior probably meant the file was damaged in some way.

Honestly, I cannot even imagine how I would have gone about determining what backup would work. This file is huge and this account alone has a ton of transactions. Even if I managed to find the right backup, re-posting all of the subsequent transactions would have be an overwhelming task. I consider myself quite lucky that it did not come to that!
  • kipamjosh
    kipamjosh Member

I have been having the same problem. I was able to fix. See if this works for you. Enter the 4999 share and complete the sale with the correct dollars for the 5000 shares. Select Enter/Done. Then go and find the sale in the regester and click on the 4999 shares so the shares are highlighted and change it to 5000 and press enter. It will ask to change the share price and accept it. Then press enter and it made the correction. Combersome but it worked for me.

This discussion has been closed.