Bill and Income Reminders issues - R29.9 Starter version

Lone Pine
Lone Pine Member
edited September 2020 in Reports (Windows)
I am a 20 year Quicken user, having just upgraded from v 2017 to the paid subscription Quicken Starter. The reason I finally succumbed was that the program no longer showed my Bill and Income reminders, and it seemed the only fix according to the chat rooms was to be found in the toolbar of the new version. Also the Quicken 2017 file would no longer backup.

I purchased and downloaded the new program and it looks identical to the old 2017 version. Absolutely identical except for the words Quicken Starter at the upper left. And the bill reminders are not there. Moreover, the fix people talked about was not to be found.

The "new" program will not backup either. It almost seems that I spent $34 and didn't actually receive a new application. I know this is a popular problem, but has anyone had a successful fix ?

Many thanks.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Lone Pine said:

The "new" program will not backup either. It almost seems that I spent $34 and didn't actually receive a new application. I know this is a popular problem, but has anyone had a successful fix ?
    Your vague description sounds as if you believe you are using the subscription version after paying the subscription, but not actually downloading and installing. You have gone to your Quicken account and downloaded and installed the app right?

The issue of not being able to backup has not been widely reported here if at all. So the issue is not Quicken specific, but some variable with your installation that needs to be addressed. If you can provide some specifics, you should be able to get a resolution.
  • I downloaded it again, and it does say Quicken Starter Edition. It's just that I expected a somewhat different appearance to differentiate it from the 2017 version. That's fine as long as the new one solves the problem of the missing Bill and Income Reminders, which it doesn't.

On the backup issue I have re-directed the backup to a different destination, to no avail. The error message I get no matter where I send it says "Unable to create the destination data file"

I fear I'll have to call Quicken and hope for a domestic technician.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to be sure, if you go to Help > About Quicken, what does it say for the year, version, and build no.?

When you say the bill reminders are not there, is there no selection to display them, or is the area where they should be displayed blank, unexpected format, or what?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Regarding the missing Reminders, have your performed a file validation? If not, I would suggest that first. If it resolves the issue, then you may want to consider getting a refund for your purchase if you are comfortable with the manual entry.
    What are the locations you are trying to unsuccessfully backup to? Have you tried as a test to save to a folder on C: ?
  • The version seems to be correct. V29.9 Year 2020. I am trying a File Validation presently, which is taking a long time. Over five minutes so far. Not sure it is working. Box says Validating file, Checking categories. It is a 25 year compilation.

The normal space is there for the Bill and Income reminders, below my DDA account activity but the future entries are not there, as they should be. They do appear in recent history, but not on the current page.

If I can resolve the Bill reminders then I can address the backup issue.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Validation was a disaster. All my historical data was lost. Left hand column shows correct dollars for accounts but no names associated with them. No prior transactions available. And trying to open the backup file leads nowhere. I'll have to call Quicken I guess. What a mess.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. Was this the first time you've run validate? If you have major file issues, you will need to restore back to the last "good" file and rebuild from there. If you can get a fairly recent backup, either system or manual, there are other file correction methods to be applied.
  • That was my first Validation run. Never again. I was able to find a clean backup from 60 days ago and reenter all the transactions from a paper register we keep. I'll try the help desk next week as to the Reminders issue. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.