BIlls and Income "Marked Paid"

Options
How do I get rid of the "Marked Paid" that I manually set when I paid a bill outside of Quicken. New values have come in and it is still there. Also the date shown keeps incrementing to the current day.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you for trying the troubleshooting instructions previously provided and consistently providing us with an update afterward.

Unfortunately, since the previous steps provided have failed thus far, at this point, I would recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support instead, for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

I apologize that our efforts from the Community were unable to resolve this for you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Diana
    Options

Hello @ Angelo Bione

Thank you for posting in the Community though I’m sorry that you are experiencing this issue with the MARKED PAID feature in Bill Manager.

The MARKED PAID line will be replaced with new payment information at the time that a new payment is made.

You mentioned that new values have come in and that the date shown keeps incrementing to the current day. It sounds like this is an online bill connected to the biller and that since the bill has been MARKED PAID, a new bill amount has been brought into Quicken? Can you explain more about the date incrementing to the current day? Sharing a screenshot of what that looks like will be helpful!

Thank you

- Quicken Diana

• Angelo Bione
    Angelo Bione Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Attached is the file. The bottom two items that are shown as "Marked Paid" have had new bill amounts recently posted. If you re saying the "Marked Paid" should have gone away it did not. Tomorrow if I look at these items the date will show as 9/15.
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    Hello @Angelo Bione,

Thank you for providing the screenshot and I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

I just have a few more questions to gain clarity on this issue.
    1. Are these manual reminders or are they connected to an online biller?
    2. Do you match these reminders to downloaded transactions after marking them as paid?
    3. Do these reminders also show transactions for them in the register, and if so, are they marked as cleared in the register?
    In the meantime though, I would like to start you off with some basic troubleshooting. Please follow the steps below.
    1. First Save a backup of your data file (just in case
    2. Go to File
    3. File Operations
    4. Validate and Repair
    5. Validate File
    6. Ok
    7. Close the data log that will pop-up after the validation has completed
    8. Close Quicken
    9. Wait at least 5 seconds
    10. Reopen Quicken
    11. Try again to see if the issue reoccurs/remains the same or gets corrected
    You can also try super validating which are the same steps as above except that you will hold Ctrl and Shift on your keyboard when clicking on Validate and Repair in order to get the option for Super Validate.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Angelo Bione
    Options
    I just have a few more questions to gain clarity on this issue.

* Are these manual reminders or are they connected to an online biller?

These are all online billers that I mark as paid when I pay them from my checking account. The credit cards are set up as accounts in Quicken.

* Do you match these reminders to downloaded transactions after marking them as paid?

How for example do I match one of these manually paid online bills (ex. Gwinnett Water Dept) to the transaction in my checking account.

* Do these reminders also show transactions for them in the register, and if so, are they marked as cleared in the register?

Not clear on the meaning here. But the credit cards are matched from my checking account to the credit card account in Quicken.

Let me explain what I do. When I pay the bill from my checking account (Suntrust BillPay) I then mark the bill as paid in Quicken. What turns that off ? Why do the pay dates keep incrementing ? They now have todays date.

In the meantime though, I would like to start you off with some basic troubleshooting. Please follow the steps below.* First Save a backup of your data file (just in case)
    * Go to File
    * File Operations
    * Validate and Repair
    * Validate File
    * Ok
    * Close the data log that will pop-up after the validation has completed
    * Close Quicken
    * Wait at least 5 seconds
    * Reopen Quicken
    * Try again to see if the issue reoccurs/remains the same or gets corrected

You can also try super validating which are the same steps as above except that you will hold Ctrl and Shift on your keyboard when clicking on Validate and Repair in order to get the option for Super Validate.

Ran both methods with no effect. No major issues found with either.
  • Quicken Anja
    Options
    Thank you for your response and I apologize for the delay in mine.

I attempted to replicate what you are experiencing with the Mark as Paid date continuously changing to the current date each day, but was unable to do so.

Next, I suggest that you create a copy of your data file by following the instructions below in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables.
    1. Go to File
    2. File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New copy and click OK  

Once the newly copied file opens, check to see if the issue persists or resolves. If it does persist, please, try validating and super validating in the copied file.

-Quicken Anja

• Angelo Bione
    Options
    Thanks for the response. When I try that I get a message "File NOT Copied" and only a zero length file was created. I even tried unchecking all three options with no improvement. I ran Super Validate again and did not help either. For some reason I cannot attach the log file. But here it is.

File: "C:\Users\bione\My Document\Quicken\Abione's Quicken Data_2020B"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it. Please check your scheduled reminders by going to Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders.

FYI: This shows up every time

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Sun Sep 20 09:31:14 2020]
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account "Fidelity Managed Brokerage", security "ISHARES CORE S&P SMALL-CAP ETF", on 1/19/2017 that might be missing.

[Sun Sep 20 09:31:25 2020]
    Rebuilt investing lots.
    Analyzing securities.

Number of old style Buy/Cash investment transactions updated: 31/0
    No out-of-range security references found.

Super validation has completed.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you for trying the troubleshooting instructions previously provided and consistently providing us with an update afterward.

Unfortunately, since the previous steps provided have failed thus far, at this point, I would recommend that you reach out to Quicken Support instead, for more extensive troubleshooting and possible escalation if they see fit.

I apologize that our efforts from the Community were unable to resolve this for you.

-Quicken Anja

• Lwaxanama
    Lwaxanama Member
    Options
    > @"Angelo Bione" said:
    > How do I get rid of the "Marked Paid" that I manually set when I paid a bill outside of Quicken. New values have come in and it is still there. Also, the date shown keeps incrementing to the current day.

I have been puzzled by this section, as well. I paid a bill offline, so I went in here and marked it paid. Then it reappeared, still owed on the same date. Looking back, I realize now that it didn't show up as overdue, but anyway, I marked it paid again, and again it showed up. I went to edit it, and there I saw the year. It was an annual bill, which is why it kept showing up again. It was the next year's bill showing up. Unfortunately, Quicken doesn't include the year in the due dates in the overview of the bills, so I didn't realize that I was looking at a new bill.
    Now I have to figure out how to find my July 2022 bill that I accidentally marked paid and then figure out how to mark it unpaid. The only bill I can find is the one for July 2023.
This discussion has been closed.