QMac backup issue [Title changed to reflect issue]

Papaduke1457
Papaduke1457 Member
I have Quicken 2020 on my Mac and when I try to backup to my disc it gives me a message that says that I cant backup to Quicken 2017, I have 2020, what do I do?

Best Answers

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Papaduke1457 Please do QUICKEN, About Quicken and tell us the exact BUILD of QMac that you're currently running.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    " when I try to backup to my disc it gives me a message that says that I cant backup to Quicken 2017, I have 2020"

It would really help if you could capture and post a screenshot of what you are seeing, as it's a little hard to understand what you're describing. Are you trying to create a backup, or to restore a backup? If you're trying to create a backup, the program shouldn't care what version of Quicken you're running. If you're trying to restore/open a backup, then it definitely matters, as  the Quicken 2017 application can't open a Quicken 2020 backup data file.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jacobs here it is let know.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Papaduke1457  Thanks for posting that screenshot. It actually contains a bit of a mystery to me. The main message says you're trying to open a file that can't be opened in Quicken 2017. The filename says Quicken 2020 so it makes sense that a Quicken 2020 file can't be opened in Quicken 2017. We can get to the bottom of that, but what made me do a doubletake is on the right side of the screen, where it says the backup file is a "Quicken Essentials Backup."  The plot thickens!

Quicken Essentials is the 2010-era predecessor to Quicken Mac. It doesn't even run on any recent Mac operating system. Do you possibly have an old copy of Quicken Essentials on your computer? Dive into your Applications folder and let's see what's there. The current version of Quicken (aka Quicken 2020) is called simply "Quicken" or "Quicken.app". The previous version was "Quicken 2017" or "Quicken 2017.app"; the really old Essentials was "Quicken Essentials.app". What do you find with a Quicken name in the Applications folder?

If you have the plain "Quicken" application, you should be able to use it to open the backup file. Simply drag the .quickenbackup file onto the Quicken application to launch it. Does that work?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • I find essentials and quicken 2017 in the application should I delete all of them
This discussion has been closed.