Since last update (10/19/20), cannot initiate credit card payment after reconciling.

After reconciling my credit card, a pop-up window appears asking if I want to pay the credit card. After pressing yes, another window would pop-up with the payee name, the date and the $ amount. This last window is no longer appearing. There is a work-around to this window not appearing. However, it is an extra step and not as convenient. Is there a way to get this window back?

Thanks

Best Answers

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Adrienne

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

First, please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are currently running.

Are you using Quicken Bill Manager or Bill Pay through your financial institution?

If using your financial institution, can you please navigate to the Tools menu in the upper left then select Account List. Click Edit next to your account, then choose the Online Services tab and ensure that bill pay is enabled

Please let me know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Adrienne
    Adrienne Member ✭✭✭
    The release is R29.12 and the Build is 27.1.29.12. I am using Bill Pay through my financial institution. My account is Enabled for Online Bill Pay. The issue I am having is that the window that would create the check or online Bill Pay does not display anymore. Please let me know if additional information is needed.

Adrienne
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Adrienne

Thank you for the response and confirming that bill pay is available and ruling that out as a possible cause.

I would next view the steps and information available here and reset the Quicken warnings.

After, this has been completed do you then see the necessary pop-up?

Please let me know!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Adrienne
    Adrienne Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Tyka, I ran what was suggested. Will have to wait until another credit card statement is available to see if it now works. Adrienne
  • jgav
    jgav Member ✭✭
    I use quicken everyday. Recently I noticed a change in how bills are processed, and would like to see if there is a work around. Normally, after downloading transactions from a credit card account, Quicken would automatically ask me if I would like to make an online payment. I would always do this (to maintain a zero balance on my credit cards), and I would get a transaction loaded into the checking account, where the bill is paid, and one in the credit card account acknowledging that a payment will be made online to that account. Quicken would then manage the online transaction. This is what works for me.

Now there is no automatic request for an online payment. Once transactions are accepted in the credit card account, nothing else happens. This forces you to go to the checking account, and hopefully remember the amount that you owe in the credit card account, and then proceed to enter this into the checking account and do an online update. Then you need to go back to the credit card account to see if the amount paid is correct. This process just takes more time and has the potential to have me enter wrong amounts, causing further frustrations.

Is there a way to get this functionality back? Is there a workaround? Why would Quicken change this feature? Looking for some help here... Thanks,

Jim Gavin
  • imapgmr
    imapgmr Member ✭✭
    I have pending payments ready to be sent to the bank. I pick update now from the menu. It only syncs my account but does not send the pending transactions. I click update now for a second time and the transactions are sent. This used to work fine in one shot, but lately it has stopped working.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a pure guess as I've never done what you're describing, but it sounds to me like you might have set up that credit card Account to automatically reconcile to the downloaded transactions, and something's changed in that regard. 
    In one of my credit card Accounts I switched from reconciling to a paper statement to reconciling to the online balance and told Quicken to "Auto reconcile downloaded transactions."  Having done that Quicken popped up the window I'm used to seeing when I reconcile to a paper statement:
    and I know that if I answer "Yes" here I'm shunted over to the checking Account to post a check "today" in the amount due.
    So I'd suggest you look at the window that comes up when you click on the gear wheel in that account and select "Reconcile" to see if something's changed, and I'd also go to Edit > Preferences > Alerts & Messages" and reset those to Quicken's defaults.
  • jgav
    jgav Member ✭✭
    Hi Tom,
    I tried your approach with no luck. I got to this part, shown below, but after clicking for online payment, nothing happened. I still had to go back to initiate the payment from the checking account, instead of the usual way of reconciling to an online balance in the credit card account.

Mind you, I have been doing my billpaying and reconciling in this manner for years in Quicken. Suddenly it appears that this is not possible now.... Or am I missing some new way of doing this?
  • martyxx
    martyxx Member ✭✭
    I am experiencing the same problem. It began with the latest update.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @jgav , what version/build are you on (Help, About Quicken)?  I believe there was a recent update that addressed this. Are you using a Direct Connect Payment arrangement with your bank?  I'm not sure how this would work with QuickPay.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Tom Young
    So I take it that what I proposed got you back to the request to make a payment, including an online payment, but requesting an online payment was a dead end?
    How were you making online payments in the past?  If that was through Quicken Bill Pay then that could that be the issue?:
    Maybe the discontinuation of that particular service caused the change?  (Though, I'd think you'd still be getting the window asking if you wanted to make a payment with a printed or hand written check.)
    If you were paying directly through your bank and not using Bill Pay, then maybe something changed at your bank's end?  What bank do you use?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    The following is from R29.9 release notes.  I'm not sure what actually changed.

Improvement: Added a way for users to send a Quick Pay or Check Pay payment after reconciling a credit card account.

I used to get the payment offer after reconciling but haven't seen it recently.  It will be a few days before I have a new bill to reconcile so will see what happens then.

Quicken user since 1995

• imapgmr
    imapgmr Member ✭✭
    Thanks for getting back to me. This is not the issue. It occurs when I am in the register and from the gear menu on the top right I select “update now”. It doesn’t bother to show me any online payments that are intended to be sent. It merely syncs the account and does not send the payments. If I click on the gear and choose “update now” a second time, the process works correctly.

This was working fine until one of the recent software updates.

I am having a similar issue when reconciling a credit card. It asks if I want to make a payment. I choose online payment and say OK. I used to get check writing screen where I could adjust the date and amount. That too has stopped working. I get nothing, not even a record of the payment in the credit card account. I then have to manually add the payment in the credit card account, make sure that the category is my checking account, go into the checking account and find the transaction. Change the status to online payment. Go to the register menu and say “update now”. That doesn’t work on the first attempt as mentioned above. Redo the update now a second time and it finally works.

Frankly it is kind of a mess.

Thanks for listening.

Jim
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Confirmed. This is a new bug. Resetting warnings does not fix it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    From your posts I can't be sure which version you are on or what payment method you use.  I'm guessing you have a Direct Connect Payment arrangement with your bank.  If so, check the Accounts List under Tools the verify that it is still set up for Online Payments. 

Quicken user since 1995

• jgav
    jgav Member ✭✭
    @jrich75
    I am on version R29.12 Build 27.1.29.12
    I believe I have been using the Direct Connect process to pay bills online with my credit card and bank accounts. Do I have to change over to Quick pay in order to get the dialog box for doing an online payment after downloading/reconciling my credit card transactions?
  • imapgmr
    imapgmr Member ✭✭
    The above answered my question but it doesn't say when the problem will be addressed.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    imapgmr said:
    The above answered my question but it doesn't say when the problem will be addressed.

Which question are you discussing?  Are you talking about unsent payments or the credit card reconcile issue?  They may not be directly related.

Quicken user since 1995

• jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure yet how the revision works.  I would guess that it should continue to work with Direct Connect payments as well but maybe adding Quick/Check Pay broke it temporarily.  

Quicken user since 1995

• imapgmr
    imapgmr Member ✭✭
    Both. Whether or not they are directly related really doesn't matter. They both need to be addressed.

Thanks. The next question is will Quicken become aware of these problems by reading this post or do I need to send this somewhere else? :-)
  • jgav
    jgav Member ✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel , @jrich75 , @Tom Young

So how do you get bug reported to Quicken so that it can be fixed?
  • Tom Young
    edited September 2020
    @Rocket J Squirrel has reported it.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited September 2020
    For what it's worth, I have remained on the last R27 release, R27.42, on my production Quicken. I only run R29 on my test machine. I have encountered a sufficient number of annoying bugs in later versions that I will wait for a less buggy release.
    If anyone reading this wants to roll back, you can run the mondo patch from the earlier release of your choice. Mondo patches work in both directions and can be used to go back in time. They are here:
    Make sure that Windows UAC is set to allow you to confirm updates or Q will try to update without your permission.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    The simple workaround is to choose "Printed check" instead of "Online Payment".
    Despite that choice, Q always checks the "Use online bill pay" option in the Write Checks dialog if the source account is enabled for online payment.

• imapgmr
    imapgmr Member ✭✭
    Thanks everyone!!
This discussion has been closed.