Is there a way to consolidate credit card expenses with checking account expenses?

I have created a spreadsheet to consolidate monthly credit card expenses with monthly expenses from my checking account. It is time consuming. Is there a better way to get a consolidated expense report each month?

Best Answers

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And are you entering and tracking the credit card expenses the right way?  Did you set up a separate credit card account?

Just in case you are doing it the wrong way,

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. Then when you pay the bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account. Then when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer versions have a Transfer column.

I used to do it the wrong way for years!  Then I wised up and now enter them properly. I would split my credit card payment into all the categories on one transaction in my checking account. And since I always pay more than the bill I would need to figure the difference and put it to another category.  But then I needed to have them entered on the date the charges actually happened. So I finally set up a credit card account. It makes it much easier to enter and balance!

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Thank you. I have 3 credit card accounts and one checking account. I categorize spending for each, but I want a combined spending report each month. Now I am aggregating with a spreadsheet, but would like to get the combined report thru Quicken.
  • Splasher informed me that the customize button is in the upper right corner of the report, but I have not yet found it. I want a combined spending report monthly for my credit card accounts and my checking account. What does the customize button look like and exactly where is it?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    And the next screen looks like this - you can check the accounts you want in the report:

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jrichardcoe - I see you asked a follow-on question to this in another post which I replied to.  I've also asked the Moderators to merge that post into this thread to maintain continuity.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Thank you, Boatnmaniac and Frankx! Very helpful! This will save me lots of time.