Inconsistent OSU, EWC does not show Complete status. Enhancement Request [3 Merged]

BK
BK Member ✭✭✭✭
Background: Up until a month or so ago in Q Windows, we used to be able to see the green "Complete" status in the OSU window across all accounts.  It made us feel good to visually see all/which OSUs were Complete.  It was consistent.
[Without getting into the connection channel details here] Since the recent change in connection channel, the EWC accounts only show "Processing data …" status and never show Complete as seen in the attached image. Things are now unfortunately inconsistent and a step backwards.
Enhancement Request: Please implement a consistent update status across all accounts and bring back the "Complete" status for EWC accounts as well.
Thank you.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
- I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

35 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    The QCS channel information during OSU is less informative than the FDS channel progress information.
    Please provide the same progress information for the QCS channel and the FDS channel.
    IN particular, FDS shows information flow to and from the FI as well as indicating when information has been download and is awaiting processing.
    QCS only shows "Data Processing".

I switched back to using FDS channel just to get the more informative OSU progress screen.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Please click on the square box above to cast your vote

• Jerry Pederson
    Jerry Pederson Member ✭✭✭✭
    So, Is there any info from Quicken regarding a solution to this major problem?

Quicken's creditability is becoming questionable in my mind.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tho frustrating I personally don't see this as a problem since it is working, given that the window that follows it shows if an update failed or not.  IMHO it is a lack of proper visual status in the window shown above with room for improvement.

• MauriAnne
    MauriAnne Member ✭✭✭
    @BK On the summary window that follows, do you see the individual accounts listed? Or do you just see "One Step Update complete" with no accounts listed like I do?
  • Jerry Pederson
    edited October 2020
    OSU without a question the way it is functioning is definitely not functioning properly. My direct Connect accounts update correctly. EWC does not even update the accounts it is tied to.

It is time Quicken gets this problem resolved.

Attached is a screenshot of my password vault. All are tied to an EWC account that does not update. I did not cause this.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    @MauriAnne , In my case, I do see the individual accounts listed, so I am one of the lucky ones.  Make sure you uncheck the two boxes at the bottom of the OSU window (I think you did from what I recall in your other post).  Here is where you and I are different: I have still remained on R28.24 as I do the patch upgrade about once a quarter only when I see a clean release (or I should say when I don't see much noise)!  So your issue could be the combination of the new release plus Quicken's October announcement?
    Edited to correct typos.

• Jerry Pederson
    edited October 2020
    I have no idea what the problem is. I do know that I did not cause the problem and Quicken needs to accelerate the process of correcting their problem.
  • canoe32
    canoe32 Member ✭✭✭
    I am now on R29.20 and still waiting for the OSU to be fixed. OSU Progress only shows completed for the Direct Connect accounts, EWC accounts just say "waiting". OSU Summary sometimes lists only the EWC accounts, even though all accounts have updated. Fortunately, all my accounts do update, but I shouldn't have to check the "Last Download" in the Account List to verify that.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    How long do you want Quicken to delay while it shows "Completed" for EWC accounts?
    What I observe is that all the DC financial institutions are processed individually, then all the EWC FIs are processed last via a single connection to the Intuit/Quicken server. So by the time "Completed" would show for the EWC accounts, OSU is done. It then optionally displays the status window.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jerry Pederson
    edited October 2020
    Robert, what you have described is not happening on my end. My EWC accounts are simply NOT updated. However, the Direct Connect accounts are updated.

Last Friday I had a conversation with a Quicken technician, I was told he had to ask others about my "unique" problem. He was to call me back today with a solution. I am still waiting.

Quicken needs to improve its backroom work. New releases have got to receive better-vetting before they are handed out to Quicken's customers.
  • MauriAnne
    MauriAnne Member ✭✭✭
    > @BK said:
    > So your issue could be the combination of the new release plus Quicken's October announcement?

Yes, that's very possible. I did trying reverting to older levels but they were all R29.xx.

The other thing that's missing is that the "last download date" says "not available" in my account list so I can't really be sure if it's downloading or not.

I appreciate your input !
  • canoe32
    canoe32 Member ✭✭✭
    How long do you want Quicken to delay while it shows "Completed" for EWC accounts?

I understand your point, but showing "Completed" for 1 second would be helpful for those who have opted to show the summary window only when there are errors. Those who are new to Quicken might be confused by accounts showing "Waiting" and then the OSU window just closes.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭

That is a great question @Rocket J Squirrel ,

Similar to however long it took pre-October [Switch] where all accounts (DC & EWC) showed completed in the progress window.  Perhaps a starting suggestion for the product managers would be long enough for ALL updates to finish, plus a short pause for a candy visual before the progress window goes away to the next step/window.  Maybe the delay can even be tied to the check boxes at the bottom of the window - thinking out loud.  Consistency is the key and I realize this is an over-simplification.  And ditto on your observation.  Thanks.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Robert, what you have described is not happening on my end. My EWC accounts are simply NOT updated. However, the Direct Connect accounts are updated.
    Sorry, I was responding to the original post. Your problem is obviously more severe and should probably be discussed in its own thread.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    canoe32 said:

I understand your point, but showing "Completed" for 1 second would be helpful for those who have opted to show the summary window only when there are errors. Those who are new to Quicken might be confused by accounts showing "Waiting" and then the OSU window just closes.
    I understand your point, as well.
    BK said:

Perhaps a starting suggestion for the product managers would be long enough for ALL updates to finish, plus a short pause for a candy visual before the progress window goes away to the next step/window.

I may have a better idea. If Quicken were to update the EWC accounts before, rather than after, the DC accounts, the problem would solve itself.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    There we go @Rocket J Squirrel .  Yes, I like it very much!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I may have a better idea. If Quicken were to update the EWC accounts before, rather than after, the DC accounts, the problem would solve itself.
    Not if all the person had were Express Web Connect accounts.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Chris_QPW said:
    Not if all the person had were Express Web Connect accounts.
    I pity the fool.

• Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member, Windows Beta Beta
    It also seems to me that since this issue started, or I should the change started, OSU is taking at least twice as long as before. My OSU was FINALLY taking about 4 minutes for 35 accounts, NOW it's more like 10 minutes. Not a happy camper. @Quicken Sarah can you weigh in on this since you were heavily involved in reducing OSU run time?
    Thanks,
    Greg

Quicken Business and Personal-R55.13. Windows 11 PRO current on updates

• nate12
    nate12 Member ✭✭
    How does one switch back to FDS?? I have been trying to find out.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    nate12 said:
    [Steps Removed]

• JOHN THOMPSON
    JOHN THOMPSON Member ✭✭
    My OSU changed several weeks ago after a quicken update. It no longer shows negotiation with banks and credit cards. Just shows "PROCESSING" no complete? The OSU window disapears and you would expect it worked. In my case some accounts were updated and others were not, but I got no error message like I used to when account hand-shaking was not successful.

Also, after doing my first daily OSU which takes about a minute, any following OSUs immediatly complete. So I know OSU is not negotiating with my accounts.

I ask Quicken to please fix this problem as you can see by these posts it's a real pain.
  • Jerry Pederson
    Quicken's up procedure is a mess. Very slow, some accounts are updated others are not, EWC for some accounts, DC connect for others. I think it is time that someone from Quicken address these probles and let everyone know what's going one.
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    nate12 said:
    Please review Quicken Sarah's comment for directions at
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7878507/has-osu-behavior-changed-for-express-web-connect-accounts/p1

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    nate12 said:
    Please review Quicken Sarah's comment for directions at
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7878507/has-osu-behavior-changed-for-express-web-connect-accounts/p1

If you look at that thread you will find that the instructions have been removed (as it was removed in your comment above).
    The developers weren't happy when this information was sent out.  They don't want people to switch back.
    Signature:
  • Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Well... as long as the developers are happy, I guess that's what's important...🤔

Quicken Business and Personal-R55.13. Windows 11 PRO current on updates

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Well... as long as the developers are happy, I guess that's what's important...🤔
    I can see there point (why they don't want people switching back), especially for the issue in this thread, which let's face it is very minor.  Not that I like from a customer standpoint.

There isn't any way they aren't going to go to QCS for everyone.  Quicken Mac has been using it for years.

Given that people going back to the old system simply hides the problems that are going to have to get fixed at some point.  So it is do you bite the bullet now, or do you just push the problem down the road for another time?
    Signature:
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Nothing wrong with going back to an old feature that works better until you are notified that the reported problem is fixed for the new feature. It's called a workaround. Something that is often used until a problem is resolved.
    FDS is currently working and displaying more information than QCS.  I expect FDS won't always be around but hopefully QCS will be fixed first.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Nothing wrong with going back to an old feature that works better until you are notified that the reported problem is fixed for the new feature. It's called a workaround. Something that is often used until a problem is resolved.
    FDS is currently working and displaying more information than QCS.  I expect FDS won't always be around but hopefully QCS will be fixed first.
    This is the best response and logical approach I have seen in a long time.  Thank you @leishirsute
    Edit: I would like to clarify that my understanding and agreement with the response (in my mind) was for Quicken to take the approach of temporarily switching the users back to the old method while they continue to improve the new one.