Option Prices not downloading

About a week ago portfolio updates stopped downloading option prices completely. No prices from the previous day. No prices at the end of the day. Nothing. I have gone into my securities list and verified my options are marked to be updated. I cannot find anything in here that provides any hints as to what the problem may be. Is this a program bug or is there something I am missing?
Windows 10
Quicken R29.16 Build 27.1.29.16

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @John Wagner,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, I suggest that you create a copy of your data file by following the instructions provided below in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables.
    1. Go to File
    2. File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New copy and click OK  

Once the newly copied file opens, see if the issue persists or resolves.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• John Wagner
    John Wagner Member ✭✭
    I have followed these steps and am not currently seeing any option prices, but I usually do not see option prices during the day on Mondays. I will see how things look after the markets close today.
    I would like to point out that the copy defaults had a starting date of March 1981. Is it possible I have run into a limit of some sort on the number of securities, transactions, ...?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to point out that the copy defaults had a starting date of March 1981. Is it possible I have run into a limit of some sort on the number of securities, transactions, ...?
    I'd suggest 'doubtful' outside of the true possible broader corruption issue.  Help - Ctrl-click on About Quicken will sow you some relevant stats about your file.  Security limit is somewhere north of 2000.  Also, what does the OSU summary say about downloaded quotes?  "___ of ___ quotes ... updated".      

One possible test -- create a test file with a few option securities and see how that goes.  I haven't seen a breadth of reports about option prices.   
  • John Wagner
    John Wagner Member ✭✭
    > @q_lurker said:
    > (Quote)
    > I'd suggest 'doubtful' outside of the true possible broader corruption issue.  Help - Ctrl-click on About Quicken will sow you some relevant stats about your file.  Security limit is somewhere north of 2000.  Also, what does the OSU summary say about downloaded quotes?  "___ of ___ quotes ... updated".      
    >
    > One possible test -- create a test file with a few option securities and see how that goes.  I haven't seen a breadth of reports about option prices.   

Thanks for your response!

Ctrl-click on About Quicken shows:
    Securities/Max Ref: 441/442
    I have no idea what that means.

I'm going to assume "north of 2000" is 2048. That's not many securities for nearly 40 years of investing with the last 10 or so including options being traded on a monthly basis. If I go to my security list and "Show Hidden", I see a very long list of securities. The OSU summary says that 56 of 61 quotes were updated. Two of those are options, but two are for one stock which was updated. The fifth is for another stock which was also updated. I've dealt with the OSU summary in the past when it has shown me what appears to be bogus information and ended up declaring defeat.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 'limits' article (https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file) talks about 2000 'trackable' securities, but they have never defined 'trackable'.  That is also a very old set of info and may be outdated.  Several users have posted about blowing past that 2000 number.  Thus, 'north of'. You're nowhere near that territory. 

I have found the '56 of 61' comment to generally be accurate in that the program was seeking 61 security prices and only found 56.  When it tries to point to the missing 5, it is always inaccurate.  Are you saying you are concern is missing the prices on only those 2 options? 
  • John Wagner
    John Wagner Member ✭✭
    No. I have several open option contracts in addition to that one pair of options (2 different options for one company) that is included in the OSU report. None of my options show updated prices in the portfolio display.
  • John Wagner
    John Wagner Member ✭✭
    Thank you both for your help and information.
    Last night I made a new copy of my file that started on 1/1/2000. Today I am seeing prices for all my options. I am happy. It's not so much that I constantly monitor option prices (or any security prices) in Quicken as that I wanted Quicken to included them in my portfolio at the end of the day. Should be good for another 20 years! :smile:
    Thanks again!
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    @John Wagner, you're welcome! Happy to hear your issue has been resolved. :)

Thanks for checking back here to let us know!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.