NFCU accounts are now showing "Account Type Not Recognized" (edited)

Kmsprad
Kmsprad Member ✭✭
The hits keep coming....
Recently, I was having issues with one of my credit card accounts not updating. This is an account I have been tracking in Quicken for just over a year with no issues.
The first thing i tried was to reset the account, no change.
I then deactivated the account, along with my savings/checking accounts at the same bank.
I waited until the next day and attempted to re-establish the online update.
This time, the checking and savings account were added with no issue, however, the credit card account shows "Account Type Not Recognized" and would not let me link.
Anyone else come across this issue?

Best Answer

Answers

• James Blunt
    James Blunt Member ✭✭
    I tried resetting the account and disconnected from Express Web Connect, but now when I try to reconnect, I get two rounds of two factor authentication and then a screen that says Quicken cannot find the account, and that it is an Unknown account.
    Seems like one problem after another with using Quicken and NFCU credit card accounts updated online. Considering just going with another financial institution's credit card.
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @James Blunt,
    Sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with NFCU downloads.
    Just so I have it straight in my head - NFCU was downloading transactions (via EWC) until it stopped. Did you get any sort of error message? If so, exactly what did that error code say? What lead you to disconnect/reconnect is the first course of remedy? 
    What year/version/build of Quicken are you using? (Help > About Quicken) You are not trying to run Quicken off a cloud/network service, correct? 

So you are at the point of trying to add Online Services for your NFCU accounts, and you get the MFA codes. Then Quicken displays a screen where the account cannot be found and/or it is an unknown account. Do you have more than one login/password for NFCU? (Login 1 associated with accounts A, B, C. Login 2 associated with accounts D, E, F. Do you have such a setup for your accounts?) When you are trying to make the connection, you are definitely trying to link to the www.NavyFederal.org website, yes? Or do you log into a different website to see your accounts at NFCU?

There might - or might not - be some extra switch to toggle on the NFCU website to allow their systems to release information down to Quicken. Will you check please?

At the moment, we don't have enough information about your exact situation to be able to point to an exact root-cause of the difficulty. Please post back here with additional details so we might be better able to help you. Alternatively, you are welcome to contact support directly for help. (The support people may well ask to view your screen to see what's happening, or not, as the case may be.)
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Kmsprad,
    Sorry to hear about your difficulty. What Financial Institution are you talking about?
    (Some additional background info too: What year/version/build of Quicken are you using? (Help > About Quicken). If need be, update your Quicken software.

First, please follow each step in this article.

Then, let's try to help you get this resolved: Tools > Account List. In the Account List pop-up box, go to the row for the CC you are trying to re-add and LINK. Click the Edit button.
    In the General tab, does anything show in the Financial Institution and account data entry fields (on the upper right-hand side of the pop-up box). If so, delete the FI and account number. Close Quicken. (To force Quicken to "forget" it ever know how to connect this account to your FI). Re-open Quicken > Tools > Account List > to the row for the CC > Edit > try to re-add, then LINK again.
    What happened? 
    Please post back here with additional details, and/or you are welcome to contact support directly for help.
  • James Blunt
    James Blunt Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your prompt response. This particular credit card account updates intermittently. I often have to update it alone (not in One Step Update) in order to get a successful download of transactions, but it has stopped doing even that. I get no error messages, it just doesn’t download anything.
    It’s the only account in Quicken One Step Update I have to enter Two Factor Authentication (2FA) for (and the only credit card from this financial institution that I update using Express Web Connect).

Disconnect/reconnect was not my first attempt at resolving the problem. I went through a series of troubleshooting steps prompted by Quicken but nothing worked. I did have a chat session with Quicken support and successfully set up a new Quicken data file with only that account, and it updated successfully. I did a file export and import of a .QXF file which was not successful and they gave up.

What I’m seeing now is that if I try to reconnect, I enter the user name and password, it asks for me to go through two iterations of 2FA, and it ends at the screen that says “We found the following accounts.” This screen lists only one account and says it is an unknown type account and Quicken didn’t get enough information to add the account. I have done this several times over the last few days.

I’m running Quicken Deluxe 2020, version R29.20, Build 27.1.29.20. Not running Quicken on a cloud or network service. I have a separate business checking account with NFCU in a separate Quicken data file that I have no problems with (so far).

NFCU says on their website that there may be problems with 2FA and Quicken, but 2FA cannot be turned off for NFCU accounts. No “extra switch” on NFCU website to enable download.
  • Same thing happened to me around the same time. The details of my situation are almost the same as James Blunt. I have other accounts with Navy Federal that are updating with no problem, it's just the credit card that's causing problems.

I can say for me the initial error code of CC-506 appeared after attempting to perform OSU, with the NFCU credit card not updating. Then I deactivated the account from EWC and attempted to reactivate it. When that didn't work I deleted the account altogether and tried to add it again. That's when I also get the two iterations of 2FA and the screen that says "we found the following accounts" with my credit card listed as an "unknown type". Any assistance would be appreciated.
  • Kaiemi
    Kaiemi Member
    I am having same problem noted by J. Hollifield. With my NFCU Flagship Visa Account. Exactly same problem.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I am also having this problem.  Slightly different, in that it searches and searches but this credit card account never shows up, so not a "type of account" issue.  Been happening for some time now such that I've been downloading manually to update the account.  Other accounts are fine.

Update - I just tried to add it again and now it appears but the type is "Unknown Type".

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• alohajay
    alohajay Member ✭✭
    I also receive error code of CC-506. I tried the "Fix it now" and that stated, "Fixed" or "Corrected" but nothing downloaded.
  • alohajay
    alohajay Member ✭✭
    Update. From the NFCU website, I can manually download a QFX file and update my accounts individually ( I have nine separate NFCU accounts). I've had this problem in the past with NFCU. Performed significant troubleshooting (Resetting Account, Deactivating and Reactivating the accounts) and invested hours into it without a successful outcome. Eventually after several months, the One Step Update downloads started working again. :|
  • waltersalyers
    waltersalyers Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue with NFCU on my Mastercard. Worked fine until last week, then stopped downloading. Followed error code guidelines and deactivated all NFCU accounts, Validate and Repair, close Quicken, etc. Everything reconnects via Express Web Connect accept for the MC account (Unknown Type). Same version information as above. The instructions above also did not work for me.
  • jordanal
    jordanal Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Same problem here - all my NFCU accounts, including credit cards were working fine via EWC for years, up until a week ago. I then deactivated all my NFCU accounts, including the General Tab bank info on each. All NFCU accounts are available for re-linking except my VISA accounts . The VISA credit card account is show as an "unknown type"! Quicken guys please fix this and let us know when to try again? Soon, please!
  • mike008
    mike008 Member ✭✭
    > @"Quicken Hugh" said:
    > Hello @James Blunt,
    > Sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with NFCU downloads.
    > Just so I have it straight in my head - NFCU was downloading transactions (via EWC) until it stopped. Did you get any sort of error message? If so, exactly what did that error code say? What lead you to disconnect/reconnect is the first course of remedy? 
    > What year/version/build of Quicken are you using? (Help > About Quicken) You are not trying to run Quicken off a cloud/network service, correct? 
    >
    > So you are at the point of trying to add Online Services for your NFCU accounts, and you get the MFA codes. Then Quicken displays a screen where the account cannot be found and/or it is an unknown account. Do you have more than one login/password for NFCU? (Login 1 associated with accounts A, B, C. Login 2 associated with accounts D, E, F. Do you have such a setup for your accounts?) When you are trying to make the connection, you are definitely trying to link to the www.NavyFederal.org website, yes? Or do you log into a different website to see your accounts at NFCU?
    >
    > There might - or might not - be some extra switch to toggle on the NFCU website to allow their systems to release information down to Quicken. Will you check please?
    >
    > At the moment, we don't have enough information about your exact situation to be able to point to an exact root-cause of the difficulty. Please post back here with additional details so we might be better able to help you. Alternatively, you are welcome to contact support directly for help. (The support people may well ask to view your screen to see what's happening, or not, as the case may be.)

I am having the same problem for the past few days. Is there a status update? Is anyone looking into this at Quicken? Do we need to call support?
  • Adding to the problem listed, I noticed that after reactivating, and receiving double 2FA, it couldn't find my primary Credit Card Account BUT found the secondary (wife's) account AND the Account Number displays "xxxxxxxxxxSelect All Car". Tried adding it as a separate new account, and it adds transactions from the primary account. Tried connecting to existing account when I noticed the weird account number.
  • James Blunt
    James Blunt Member ✭✭
    SAME weird thing happened to me with the wife's card number displaying as the "unknown" account, but no others shown when attempting to add the primary account.
  • stappmeyer01
    stappmeyer01 Member ✭✭
    I too have this issue. It started this week. Hopefully it will be corrected soon.
  • mr81mm
    mr81mm Member
    For the last few weeks, I'm having the same errors with my NFCU credit cards as described above. I contacted Quicken online support via chat, and one thing that we tried was to start a new quicken file for testing purposes, and then add accounts from NFCU. With the new test file, all accounts were recognized, including the credit cards, with no errors. In the test file however, although the credit card accounts worked properly, the credit card account numbers were multiple lower case x's followed by Select All Car as mentioned in a previous post. When I try to activate my credit cards in my regular Quicken file that I have been using for years, I receive "unknown type".
  • mike008
    mike008 Member ✭✭
    I contacted support as well. Similarly, I saw that it worked fine in a new file but none of the troubleshooting steps the support technician advised could make it work in the existing file. I have uploaded some log files for escalation and am awaiting further review.
  • DBLClick
    DBLClick Member
    I still unable to get this fixed. I was fine until I updated to the latest version of Quicken. Next time I was asked if I closed the account, following the repair procedure I was unable to find my Credit Card Accounts with (Unknown Type)
  • I tried creating a new data file as suggested but I still get the "unknown type" error on my NFCU credit card when I try to upload my NFCU accounts. I'm following the instructions from the following link:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-create-new-quicken-data-file
    Am I doing something wrong?
  • kjvoorhees
    kjvoorhees Member ✭✭
    I have the same problems detailed above. Many thanks to the gentleman who reported the weird CC number was his wife's complimentary card number. Same for me. You saved me from calling NFCU to ask where that number came from.
  • James Blunt
    James Blunt Member ✭✭
    Not the first time I've had troubles with NFCU and Quicken. It's a good card, but I applied for a replacement from Chase that is pretty nearly as good and I never have problems updating Chase. I guess that's one way to solve the problem, although not my preferred. I can still keep the CC from NFCU check register in Quicken for historical and reporting purposes.
  • shornsac
    shornsac Member ✭✭
    I have the exact same problem with my NFCU Cash Rewards Visa as of last week. Either Quicken or NFCU changed something and it messed up all of our downloading. I tried all of the methods Quicken recommends and it still shows Unknown Type Ignore. I have had to revert to downloading from the NFCU page and connecting my Visa account that way for now.

This seems to happen every couple of years with my NFCU visa.
  • wthutto
    wthutto Member
    Same problem here, NFCU Flagship Visa just stopped downloading and gave same error code above. Tried to reset but quicken now lists it as an unknown type. Was working fine until around 02 October 20. I suspect it's a quicken generated issue since I can create a new quicken file and it works fine. Not pointing fingers, Just a layman's guess. I would think the developers at Quicken could work this out. Quicken Subscription, R29.22. I don't care to think about how many hours I've invested trying to make EWC work and would seek other solutions, but just don't know of anything else that offers the tools found in quicken.
  • shornsac
    shornsac Member ✭✭
    I'm using the exact same version of Quicken. R29.22 Build 27.1.29.22
    I hesitate to start deleting accounts and starting new data files again, which is exactly what customer service will have me do if I call. I shouldn't have to recreate my entire finance file when Quicken updates their software and messes up a connection with one of my accounts.

Mine also shows my wife's cc account number. Thank you to whoever figured that one out. Another thing I noticed is that when I download the QFX file from the NFCU website via direct connect, the username field fills with my NFCU 7 digit number vice the username I use to connect with the rest of my accounts. NFCU doesn't allow us to log in with those numbers anymore since they started doing the 2FA.
  • clr30
    clr30 Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue. I spoke with support and they advised to create a new quicken file as the file is corrupt. Then i could import my data. Painful, but it would work. When i ceated a new file it added the credit card accounts successfully. Going to try Tier2 support Monday to see if there are other options.
  • shornsac
    shornsac Member ✭✭
    So do y'all actually believe that all of our Quicken NFCU credit card data files were corrupted at the exact same time by coincidence? No way. It's too coincidental that there was a Quicken update at the same time. Fix the issue with Quicken...not the band aid fix of all of us having to start new data files.
  • mike008
    mike008 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    @shornsac I'm with you and I am not happy. After a call last week and going through all the same troubleshooting steps again with someone on chat, they are saying since it works in a new file, it is a problem with my file and I have to start over. 10+ years of using Quicken down the drain. Might as well start over with a new product. You guys all have to contact support and make this a big deal or they won't do anything about it apparently.
This discussion has been closed.