Investment performance numbers not matching within two views for same dates?

I'm trying to understand why I get different performance %'s shown on the investment tab screen for the same date range - seems like it must be a bug. Referring to the attached screenshot, for the same 3yr range the numbers on that page do not match the numbers in the "Security Performance" window (generated using the "settings" gear-knob in the "Average Annual Return" section at the bottom right (right above the "5 Year" heading).
Also the index numbers do not match, so it seems unrelated to my database itself.

Same account (George's IRA) in both cases, and same date range end date (12/31/2019).

Also, the 1yr performance number in the "Security Performance" box (25.07) closely matches my broker's number, whereas the number in the main screen (8.26) is way off -- so I am not sure what to trust wrt Quicken's numbers.

Using Quicken 2020, R29.22 (latest update to my knowledge)
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a bug to me too.  I see the same thing on my investments where the two numbers are different.  I even used Earliest to date to make sure it would be the same as saying "As of:".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Note checking against the Investing tab -> Portfolio view these number line up with the "Security Performance" numbers.  So clearly it is the number in the Average Annual Return section at the bottom of the Investing tab -> Performance view that are bad.
    Signature:
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So clearly it is the number in the Average Annual Return section at the bottom of the Investing tab -> Performance view that are bad.

I believe those specific values are for the last 12 months, and not using the date specifications at the top of the Performance view based on what I see in Portfolio views and Investment performance reports for that time period.  That should also explain your security performance specific report issue. 

When I start that Security Performance view (something  I've never seen before BTW), it defaults to today and the data matches the AAR tabulation.  Changing the figure back to 12/31/19 (any prior date) changes the values.  

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Average Annual Return numbers at the bottom of the Investing > Performance page use the account and security selections selected at the top of the page but they are always as of today and do not honor the dates set at the top of the page.

Very confusing. Has always been that way AFAIK. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The Average Annual Return numbers at the bottom of the Investing > Performance page use the account and security selections selected at the top of the page but they are always as of today and do not honor the dates set at the top of the page.

Very confusing. Has always been that way AFAIK. 
    When I did my checking I was using today's date as the last date in all cases and I still see the difference.

Signature:
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW:  I would think that might be a manifestation of whatever is causing the NA in the Security Performance view.  Strictly speaking, you are showing a comparison between the specific security (Lending Club Notes) and the whole account (LC Chris IRA). 

Try a Portfolio View and an Investment Performance Report for that account.  I suspect the PV will show the NA and the IPR will show (with detail) the 4.16, 3.83, 4.70% values as you adjust the time frames.
  • GRH
    GRH Member ✭✭
    The Portfolio View and Investment Performance Report for my account do show the same %'s as the "Security Performance" window (a feature I also had just found;-).... and they all seem to honor the specified date correctly. So it is just the Average Annual Return section of the Investment page that is fixed and ignores the date entry.

So it is arguably either a bug in that section's calculation, or a feature working as intended but poorly documented and misleading.

Thanks for the quick responses all!