Bug Report: Paycheck showing '0' monthly average in Budget tool unless using a sub-category

Options
I think this must be a bug in budget planning. If I select my "Salary" category as a budget item and categorize my gross pay as "Salary", Planning-Annual-Details shows my actual income as 0, but if I click on the 0, it shows each week's salary entry correctly. If I then add a subcategory to "Salary" and recategorize my gross pay as "Salary:Gross" with only the top category of "Salary" selected in "Manage Budget Categories" , Planning then shows the correct total and, when clicked, the same entry list as before.

If this is by design, why is it this way?

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @vishooter

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. In this case we want to make sure that we're also able to replicate the issue you're having. If you could contact Quicken Support via chat or phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps so that we're able to replicate the same issue you're having. If they're also able to replicate it we'll send it in as a bug so that it's able to be fixed. I'll leave our hours down below so that you're able to find a time that works best for you.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

Quicken Phone Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Friday

5:00 am to 5:00 pm PDT

Quicken Chat Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Sunday

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @vishooter

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

Please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are currently running.

To better assist, may I also ask that you capture a screenshot of the issue that you are experiencing.

If you need assistance, capturing, and sharing a screenshot with the Community, please take a moment to review the steps available here.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • vishooter
    vishooter Member
    Options
    Attached image shows the release being used and an example of how putting the first two values in the top category (Salary) doesn't produce a complete sum in the budget entry. Only the values in a subcategory (Salary:Gross Pay) are summed. I had all the entries in the top category before and the sum shown in the report was 0.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hello @vishooter

Thank you for the screenshot and the additional details.

I have not been able to recreate what you have described so far. The actual amount matches the transactions that are listed when selecting the actual amount.

I have changed this to a top category and subcategory and do not get a different result.

I would recommend running the Validate & Repair tool on the data file from the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate File window that opens, click the top box to "validate file" and then click OK.

When the validation completes, a data log will open in Notepad, please let us know if any errors or issues are found/repaired, and when ready close and re-open Quicken.

If the trouble persists, I would next contact support directly by phone.

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and research this further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • vishooter
    Options
    Here's a sample of the 885 data lines generated. I have no idea what "ACCT_149ce" might be.

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken repaired Unspecified Account account. No action required.
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "Jesse 3821" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken repaired damaged transaction index. No action required.
    Quicken repaired some transaction information. No action required.
    "ACCT_149ce" 4/ 2/2020
    "ACCT_149ce" 3/26/2020

"ACCT_149ce" 5/25/2007
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_149ce" 0/ 0/1900
    "ACCT_149ce" 0/ 0/1900
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "ACCT_149ce" 0/ 0/1900
    "ACCT_149ce" 0/ 0/1900

Summary:
    Quicken repaired 1 accounts. No action required.
  • vishooter
    Options
    Tyka, I deleted all old, obsolete accounts and reran validation. It now completes error free. Changing an entry from the subcategory to the category still makes the "actual" in Planning incorrect.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @vishooter

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. In this case we want to make sure that we're also able to replicate the issue you're having. If you could contact Quicken Support via chat or phone and sharing your screen with one of our support reps so that we're able to replicate the same issue you're having. If they're also able to replicate it we'll send it in as a bug so that it's able to be fixed. I'll leave our hours down below so that you're able to find a time that works best for you.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

Quicken Phone Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Friday

Quicken Chat Support Current Hours of Operation:

Monday through Sunday

This discussion has been closed.