Does anyone have experience converting from SEE Finance to Quicken for Mac?

danamarks
danamarks Member ✭✭
Dear community, I'm looking for anyone who has experience converting from SEE Finance (either 1 or 2) to Quicken for Mac, as I need some advice and hope to benefit from your hard earned knowledge and experience.

I was a loyal user of Quicken 2007 until it was downgraded to Q Essentials in 2015. I needed functions that were not available in Q Essentials so converted to a program called SEE Finance which served me well until this year.

I have now purchased Quicken 2020 Deluxe and am trying to load the SEE Finance data into Q Deluxe via a QIF file (the only export formats that SEE offers are QIF, CSV, and TXF.) I did not expect that the data load would go off without a hitch as it took me nearly a month to get the data right when I went to SEE in the first place (also via QIF.). The initial load seemed to go well, and as expected, there were some glitches which I was able to fix in a day or three for the banking accounts (cash, savings and credit cards) and the property and debt accounts.

My problem is the Brokerage accounts. The first account I am working with had 13 securities in SEE, but only 8 transferred to Quicken. I am now faced with the prospect of going back two decades to comb through all of the transactions to identify the ones that didn't transfer and recreate them in order to get the shares and cost basis right.

If you have any experience with this kind of conversion i would appreciate hearing from you. I have spoken to Quicken Support but since SEE Finance doesn't have a large following, they don't have any experience to draw on, and were not a lot of help with my main issue. They were able to provide me with some interesting approaches that I will investigate.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

DM
Tagged:

Comments

• I am facing the same situation. Gave up on the deprecated Quicken 2007 for Mac, found SEE Finance, loved it, and now they seem to have abandoned the product. Support does not respond. So I am thinking of going back to Quicken but your results make me nervous as I have lots of brokerage accounts with many securities. I wonder if Quicken can parse the QIF file and determine if the missing securities are present but they are probably not willing to put in that effort. If the conversion is not feasible it may be the case that we need to retain the current SEE Finance data and download our current accounts to Quicken and use Quicken from that date moving forward. Of course reports, etc become messy
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you considered migrating back to QM2007? Then you could try to new QMac if you want to.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• I just learned that Schwab has changed/modified the technology for automatically downloading transactions into an application such as SEE. So now this capability no longer works to download transactions from Schwab directly to SEE Finance. And, since SEE finance seems to be no longer supported, we are SOL.
  • And it appears that Schwab, eg, does not support downloading transactions to a QIF file so for those of us that depended on transaction download, we are screwed.
  • One other thought - I wonder what would happen if you tried to import the QIF file(s) into Quicken for Windows; the idea being that perhaps that instance of Quicken might do this better or differently than the Mac version
  • asegar
    asegar Member
    [Removed-No Soliciting]

> @danamarks said:

> Dear community, I'm looking for anyone who has experience converting from SEE Finance (either 1 or 2) to Quicken for Mac, as I need some advice and hope to benefit from your hard earned knowledge and experience.

>

> I was a loyal user of Quicken 2007 until it was downgraded to Q Essentials in 2015. I needed functions that were not available in Q Essentials so converted to a program called SEE Finance which served me well until this year.

>

> I have now purchased Quicken 2020 Deluxe and am trying to load the SEE Finance data into Q Deluxe via a QIF file (the only export formats that SEE offers are QIF, CSV, and TXF.) I did not expect that the data load would go off without a hitch as it took me nearly a month to get the data right when I went to SEE in the first place (also via QIF.). The initial load seemed to go well, and as expected, there were some glitches which I was able to fix in a day or three for the banking accounts (cash, savings and credit cards) and the property and debt accounts.

>

> My problem is the Brokerage accounts. The first account I am working with had 13 securities in SEE, but only 8 transferred to Quicken. I am now faced with the prospect of going back two decades to comb through all of the transactions to identify the ones that didn't transfer and recreate them in order to get the shares and cost basis right.

>

> If you have any experience with this kind of conversion i would appreciate hearing from you. I have spoken to Quicken Support but since SEE Finance doesn't have a large following, they don't have any experience to draw on, and were not a lot of help with my main issue. They were able to provide me with some interesting approaches that I will investigate.

>

> Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

>

> DM
  • danamarks
    danamarks Member ✭✭
    @asegar I disagree with your assertion that there is no reason to leave SEE Finance any more with the new release. Support has not responded to any emails in over 6 months. So while it is a superior product in many ways, I don't consider it a viable tool going forward, despite what appears to be a hail mary release.
  • John_M
    John_M Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going to comment on how well SEE Finance compares to Quicken. However, I would be very uncomfortable using a program that seems to be reliant on the efforts of only one person. I am very glad that Quicken has multiple staff dedicated to maintaining and improving the program upon which I rely every day.
This discussion has been closed.