HELP! I get error when trying to restore my Quicken file from a backup

I am trying to restore my Quicken file from a backup file. The file is on the same large disk drive on my desktop computer. I get this error message: "Your backup disk is out of space. Insert a different disk and click ok." Please help me.
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• LandofCope52
    LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
    Thanks Sherlock! I will do that. I don't understand why I received the error but I will do as you say. I will ask a new question afterwards to try to understand why my file lost some accounts which led to the need to restore. Hopefully you (or anyone) will be able to help me understand.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What path have you selected as the destination of the restored Quicken data file?
    If the path points to the wrong drive or an incorrect folder name, all sorts of errors can occur.
    The default and recommended destination for active Quicken data files is
    C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure that you're taking the proper actions to RESTORE a file?
    The error message looks, to me, like it would occur during a backup rather than a restore.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• LandofCope52
    LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
    Thanks UKR! I found out what the problem was when I followed Sherlock's suggestion. My primary drive was too full to contain another 4gb file. I had no idea that my primary drive was so full. So I did a LOT of reorging to correct the space problem. What really threw me off was the message identified the target drive (to which I was restoring my backup file) as the backup disk, which in reality it was my primary drive (and the folder name as you identify above). I think the message has smacks of a early DOS version with floppy drives. :-) Thanks again!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks UKR! I found out what the problem was when I followed Sherlock's suggestion. My primary drive was too full to contain another 4gb file.
    Your Quicken QDF file is 4GB !!
    Mine is only 180K -
    Do you have a lot of "attachments" ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• LandofCope52
    LandofCope52 Member ✭✭
    Hi ps56k. YES! My file is almost 4gb and yes I do have a lot of attachments. I like to attach receipts. Now and then I have a mistake and it's very handy to open the attachment and easily and quickly discover that I mis-keyed something. Thanks!

Hello NotACPA. Yes I'm sure I was doing a restore. You're so very right, the message looks like I was doing a backup but I wasn't. I would surmise that there are messages deep in the bowels of Quicken that have been there since the soft floppy diskettes. But even so it doesn't explain why the message mentioned "backup disk" instead of "target location". Anyway, thank you.

Thanks to all who replied.
This discussion has been closed.