When do you plan to make Quicken compatible with latest Windows 10?

I talked with Quicken customer support today. I was told that to make Quicken work on my computer again, I would have to revert back to Windows 10 version 1903 or 1909. Right now, Quicken is shutting down almost immediately after starting up, and it's generating Bug Splat reports. Well, since my computer has already jettisoned windows.old, reverting the operating system would essentially require a fresh OS install that would wipe out EVERYTHING on my C: drive, including all programs and all data. That's just not doable. So, when do you plan to update Quicken to work on the latest Windows 10? I need to get my bills paid.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Please provide the version of Quicken being used: select Help > About Quicken

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Well... what version of Windows are you running -
    Win10 - version 20H2 -
    or - version 2004 ... which I am running just fine with - Quicken R29.22

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• rhiguera
    rhiguera Member ✭✭
    Since we're getting specific --
    Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The Quicken support person must have been grabbing at straws because they couldn't figure out what the problem was.  The version of Windows 10 isn't the problem.  Many, many people including myself have Windows 10 version 2004, and don't have the problems you mentioned.

I suggest you first try holding down Shift+Ctrl while double clicking on the Quicken desktop shortcut.  That should bring up Quicken without loading your data file.
    From there you can try other things like creating a new data file to see if that works, and go from there.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rhiguera
    rhiguera Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    The Shift-Ctrl double clicking on icon did not keep the app from pulling in the default file. Then, Bugsplat!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    rhiguera said:
    The Shift-Ctrl double clicking on icon did not keep the app from pulling in the default file. Then, Bugsplat!
    I suggest you press and hold the Ctrl key when you open Quicken to launch the Quicken program without the opening the Quicken file.
  • rhiguera
    rhiguera Member ✭✭
    Ctrl + icon didn't work, either. But if the goal is to get it to open without opening the file, I do have an option. I can unplug the drive on which the file resides. I keep the file on an external drive because I open it from multiple computers.
  • rhiguera
    rhiguera Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    So I shut down the computer completely, and then pulled out the USB connector. After I started up the computer again, I opened Quicken. Not finding its data file, it put me through the paces of setting up a new file. Then, I opened the original data file, and it came up fine. I shut down Quicken and opened it again, and it stayed up. So whatever the hiccup was, it seems to have been resolved.

If someone doesn't have the option of just pulling the plug, the file could be renamed or moved, and that should give the same result, I would think.

For the programmers, the file reading process does not appear to be robust enough. Unfortunately, this is going to be a difficult bug to reproduce and solve, I suspect. But in any case, your tech support should not be recommending reverting to a previous version of the OS. That's just too catastrophic.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    rhiguera said:  For the programmers, the file reading process does not appear to be robust enough. Unfortunately, this is going to be a difficult bug to reproduce and solve, I suspect. But in any case, your tech support should not be recommending reverting to a previous version of the OS. That's just too catastrophic.
    Just to clarify -
    most of the folks here,
    and those that have responded to this discussion,
    are peer customers....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• rhiguera
    rhiguera Member ✭✭
    > @ps56k said:
    > (Quote)
    > Just to clarify -
    > most of the folks here,
    > and those that have responded to this discussion,
    > are peer customers....

No doubt the Quicken staff take note of threads like this.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    rhiguera said:
    Ctrl + icon didn't work, either. But if the goal is to get it to open without opening the file, I do have an option. I can unplug the drive on which the file resides. I keep the file on an external drive because I open it from multiple computers.
    I suggest accessing the Quicken file in a ordinary folder on internal drive.  
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rhiguera said:
    So I shut down the computer completely, and then pulled out the USB connector. After I started up the computer again, I opened Quicken. Not finding its data file, it put me through the paces of setting up a new file. Then, I opened the original data file, and it came up fine. I shut down Quicken and opened it again, and it stayed up. So whatever the hiccup was, it seems to have been resolved.

If someone doesn't have the option of just pulling the plug, the file could be renamed or moved, and that should give the same result, I would think.

For the programmers, the file reading process does not appear to be robust enough. Unfortunately, this is going to be a difficult bug to reproduce and solve, I suspect. But in any case, your tech support should not be recommending reverting to a previous version of the OS. That's just too catastrophic.
    Hi @"rhirhiguera ,

Evidently, the support person, was not given information to your entire Setup.

You can use a Thumb Drive to do a Manual Backup to, but ideally, the Quicken Data File, should be located on the internal Hard Drive, not on an USB Drive, which can be lost.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• rhiguera
    rhiguera Member ✭✭
    The next step will be a QNAP server in a basement, which I'm in the process of setting up. Then I won't have to transport my data between my various homes.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    rhiguera said:
    The next step will be a QNAP server in a basement, which I'm in the process of setting up. Then I won't have to transport my data between my various homes.
    You may want to consider using a remote desktop client.
This discussion has been closed.