slow saving

I have a quicken account that I have used for 40 years, has over 100 categories and at least 50 accounts. when I am categorizing transactions, it saves very slow. Is this because of the size of my files or my computer? I have other quicken files I run which are much smaller and I don't notice the problem there. How can I speed it up? Can I hide accounts and categories, but will they still show up in reports if I run old reports?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please provide more details about this big Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

What is the file size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer?

And I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file 
    (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed? How much of the available RAM is in use? Task Manager will give you this information. 80% or higher?

What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.

- File Information: Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

• luannbrenner
    luannbrenner Member ✭✭
    thank you for your help, I will get the answers to your questions and reply back
  • luannbrenner
    luannbrenner Member ✭✭
    I am unable to reply to your email directly...can you give me an email address that will work?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @luannbrenner

Thank you for the response and for taking the time to capture a screenshot.

To share your screenshots with the Community, please drag the images to the comment box. This will attach the images to the comment.

Responses may not be added via email, you will need to visit the Community to add a response.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • luannbrenner
    luannbrenner Member ✭✭
    Here are Answers to your questions:

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding16,000 transactions. 
    *** The largest individual account is 5711, but in total with all my accounts there would be more than 16000

What is the file size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer?
    ***The file size of the file that seems so slow is 206528 KB.  my others, are smaller, the next largest being 50352 KB and doesn't seem to be an issue.  I suspect this is the problem??

Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running? 
    ***Not that I know of.  Definitely not the above mentioned ones

What is the complete file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?
    ***Yes, that is it, with my name on it..Do I reveal anything personal by including the entire link?

How much total RAM do you have installed? How much of the available RAM is in use? Task Manager
    will give you this information. 80% or higher? 
    ***Total RAM 16GB installed, using 48% when Quicken not running, 50% when it is running the big file..

What version of windows are you running? 
    *** Windows 10
     File Information:

I believe this is all you asked for.  Thanks for your help. By the way, the email we receive says we can reply via email, but it never works...
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please try again to get the correct File Information view:
    • Click Help in the Menu Bar.
    • CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information view.

> By the way, the email we receive says we can reply via email, but it never works..
    Reply via email has never worked. It has been requested multiple times that Quicken and the website service provider correct the email text.
    You must use the webpage to post comments, replies and images.

Do you have a large number of Scheduled Reminders that appear to be duplicates of each other?

To resolve your slowness issue, let's do some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document in the order specified:
    Troubleshooting 101 - Fixing Software Installation and Data File Problems

• luannbrenner
    luannbrenner Member ✭✭
    Here is the file info:
    Size of qdf File 172017K
    Accts 111
    categories 1123
    memorized payees 106
    sec/max ref 634/634
    transactions 67484

System resources
    available memory 2097151K
    total memory 2097151K

Yr 2020 Version R29.22 build 27.1.29.22

Doesn't seem to be that many memorized payees and only 20 bill reminders
    I will do the troubleshooting steps as soon as I have time.
    thanks
  • luannbrenner
    luannbrenner Member ✭✭
    just finished copying and validating:
    got the following messages:
    QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:Removed 216 qel records for payments not in register
    Removed 2 qel records for transfers not in register

[Fri Nov 13 13:12:27 2020]
    Quicken has found 1 stock split(s) for account "Fidelity joint x491", security "xx CORP", on 5/1/1999 that might be missing.
    and about 20 others
    Placeholder corrections made.
    Placeholder corrections made.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    The following transaction(s) were linked to account(s) that are no longer in Quicken. Quicken has changed them to indicate that the account was deleted. Please check them and set the category or destination account correctly. Make sure that this does not duplicate transactions.
    There are pages and pages of these...They are all really old, from 2005 and prior..I think relate to accounts that I have hidden...to my knowledge I have not deleted any accounts...it indicates that it changed them, but I do not think I want that changed and way too much to go through and reenter or correct...

BUT, when I run reports off of both the original and the copy, all the balances seem to agree, so maybe it's ok? A bit too early to see if it runs faster, but maybe it helped?