Why do LOG icons appear on desktop when opening Quicken?

Every time I open Quicken, the following three icons appear on my desktop: Quicken OFX LOG; quicken_Syn clog; and Quicken 10OFXLOG. When I click on each one, the Power Media Player opens but can't start. These icons are inundating my desktop and aren't of any value. How do I stop these from coming up?

Best Answer

• deltavee
    deltavee Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Called Support and got a more knowledgeable agent who was able to solve the problem. Thanks to everyone for your assistance.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is your Quicken data file located?
    There is a menu item on the File menu to show its location.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    I suggest you relocate and access your Quicken file in another folder on an internal drive.  The default location is a Quicken folder in the users Documents folder.  The .DAT files are log files maintained by Quicken for debuging purposes.  They may be viewed from within Quicken by selecting Help > Log Files.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    deltavee said:
    Every time I open Quicken, the following three icons appear on my desktop: Quicken OFX LOG; quicken_Syn clog; and Quicken 10OFXLOG. When I click on each one, the Power Media Player opens but can't start. These icons are inundating my desktop and aren't of any value. How do I stop these from coming up?
    Hi @deltavee ,

You need to move your Quicken Data File to Document\Quicken Folder.

When you keep your Quicken Data File, directly on the Desktop, those files are created on the Desktop.

When you move the Quicken data File to Documents\Quicken, those files are created, in that folder and not on the Desktop.

Use File Explorer to move the files to Documents\Quicken folder.

If you don't move the Data Files, but just the log files, the Log Files will be recreated on the Desktop.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• deltavee
    deltavee Member ✭✭
    Documents explorer shows that there isn't a Quicken Folder, but there are Quicken qdf and dat files. Quicken opens when I click on those, but still produces the icons on the desktop.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again, 
    "Where is your Quicken data file located?
    There is a menu item on the File menu to show its location."

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As in...

Yours should show somewhere on C:
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GeoffG 's suggestion will also work, but I was really referring to where the arrow points:

• deltavee
    deltavee Member ✭✭
    The QDF was located in C:\Users\OneDrive\Desktop\Quicken. I moved it into Documents>Quicken where it replaced the data file already there. Two older Quicken QDF files are still there, along with several data_synchlogs and OFXLOGs. I then opened Quicken from the desktop icon. Still get the same icons appearing on the desktop.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move all those icons (except the actual program shortcut)  from the Desktop to the Quicken folder.  Then start Quicken by clicking on the Program icon not the data icon.  Then go to File - Open and open the .qdf file that is in the Quicken folder so it will remember the new location.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• deltavee
    deltavee Member ✭✭
    The icons on the Desktop will only move to the Recycle Bin and not to the Quicken folder--they just move to other positions on the Desktop. In Documents, the files can't be moved at all. Whether I start Quicken from the Desktop icon or data icon in Documents, more of those icon appear on the Desktop.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @deltavee
    I suggest you contact Quicken Support and have them do a screen share with you to straighten this out.  It is obvious that dealing with this with printed words is not conveying the instructions that you need to follow.
    We, here on the forum, can not do a screen share with you, but Quicken support can.

• deltavee
    deltavee Member ✭✭
    Just got off line with Quicken Support. They left me with an Error 1723, Fatal Error. Now Quicken won't start at all. And they don't know what to do next. So much for Quicken Premier 2020 Support.
  • deltavee
    deltavee Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Called Support and got a more knowledgeable agent who was able to solve the problem. Thanks to everyone for your assistance.
This discussion has been closed.