How can I increase number of split lines?

Options
xowig
xowig Member
There are only 30 lines in a split. How can I increase this number?

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @xowig

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. When you're splitting your transactions in your Split box you should see in the bottom left a button that says add lines. This will add another 5 lines at a time so that you're able to continue splitting transactions. I'll leave a photo below.

Please let us know if this helps resolve the issue for you.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Options
    AFAIK, there's a limit of about 250 Split lines per transaction.
    And there may still be a limit on how many of those Split lines can use the same Category. In the past there were a couple of reports of crashes in Quicken when customers tried to record a transaction with more than 38 lines using the same category. I'm not sure if that has ever been fixed or not ...
    May I ask what kind of a transaction you're creating that requires more than 30 Split lines? There may be an easier way ...
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Extending @UKR's remark,  if you're  inputting all of your credit card transactions,. as  split lines, into the payment transaction ... there's a MUCH better way.
    But first, we'd need a response as to why you need so many split lines.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• xowig
    xowig Member
    Options
    I'm using Quicken deluxe 2003 so there is no facility to add lines as shown in the photograph.
    I am splitting my credit card transactions and I would be very interested in your "MUCH better way".
    Thanks again
  • Bob M Jr
    Bob M Jr Member
    Options
    I do not understand your answer. My Master card is used to pay for many things: mortgage, dining, taxes, utilities, etc. When i have a busy month, I exceed the maximum number of lines shown on the screen. I cannot use the down arrow to see any extra lines. I can move the cursor toward the bottom of the screen and drag down until the last line appears and if i am quick, I can click on the last line and add another line. If I am not quick enough the screen reverts to the lines on my bank statement and I have to start over to click my credit crd lie, click on split, click on edit and then try the curser again. How does charting a separate account fro each credit card add more capacity in the split screen?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. The transactions need to be entered with the date you charged it, not the date you pay the credit card bill.

Then when you pay the bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account. Then when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.  Then your credit card account should match what you actually owe at any time.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer versions have a Transfer column.

I used to do it the wrong way for years!  Then I wised up and now enter them properly. I would split my credit card payment into all the categories on one transaction in my checking account. And since I always pay more than the bill I would need to figure the difference and put it to another category.  But then I needed to have them entered on the date the charges actually happened. So I finally set up a credit card account. It makes it much easier to enter and balance!

Here's a list of some reasons why you should do it this way…..

You don't have to wait to make the payment and split it out

You won't run out of split lines (I used to use Q2004 and there was only 30)

You can use both the payee and memo fields for more description

You don't have to figure out the difference if you pay a different amount

Then your Credit Card Account will exactly match your statement

Charges get entered with the right date (better at year end for taxes)

You can enter all charges to date, not just what's on the bill - then you can see what you still owe

You won't forget what a charge was for if you enter it right away from the receipt

And if there are multiple categories purchased on a single credit card charge, you can split that one credit card charge to detail the items purchased each with their own category and memo/note.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.