Bifurcating accounts?

New user here so apologies if I'm overlooking something obvious. I manage my personal accounts as well as the joint accounts for me and my wife. Is there a way to have two different groups of accounts, Individual and Joint, each with their own unique budget?

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    scodd84 said:
    Thanks for the reply @volvogirl. I won't be using Quicken for taxes so I'm not to concerned with mimicking our tax approach.

For the New Quicken File, is that basically a different profile that segregates accounts? E.g. I would link my joint accounts with Bank ABC in that file and have my individual accounts that are with Bank XYZ on my existing file? Are both synced with the cloud?
    Each Quicken file we create by selecting File > New Quicken File... is a distinct database with a unique identifier.  The accounts maintained within these files may be entirely separate or may overlap. The accounts within the files synched with the cloud, are synced to distinct cloud accounts (aka datasets).

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should follow how you file your tax return.  Like if you file a Joint tax return you should have all the accounts in the same data file.  If you file separately you could setup a separate data file for each person or set of accounts.  Or even if you just want to keep them separate.  You can have many different completely separate data files.  Go up to File-New Quicken File.  But for a married couple it's probably best to keep it all in the same data file.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• scodd84
    scodd84 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply @volvogirl. I won't be using Quicken for taxes so I'm not to concerned with mimicking our tax approach.

For the New Quicken File, is that basically a different profile that segregates accounts? E.g. I would link my joint accounts with Bank ABC in that file and have my individual accounts that are with Bank XYZ on my existing file? Are both synced with the cloud?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    scodd84 said:

Each Quicken file we create by selecting File > New Quicken File... is a distinct database with a unique identifier.  The accounts maintained within these files may be entirely separate or may overlap. The accounts within the files synched with the cloud, are synced to distinct cloud accounts (aka datasets).
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can have more than one "budget" for any given year and you can have those different budgets looking a different Accounts in your file.  
  • scodd84
    scodd84 Member ✭✭
    Thank you all for your help. New File is exactly what I was hoping to find!
This discussion has been closed.