Revert to an earlier pre-subscription version?

Fast Buck
Fast Buck Member
I would like to learn if anyone has cancelled their subscription and moved to an earlier version of Quicken. I have a 2012 Version CDROM which worked just fine on an earlier windows computer. Just today got caught up in the loss of monitor real estate (that discussion is closed) due to non renewal. Disappointed that no bugs from my older version have been fixed in the subscription, so no benefit there. Can I uninstall the subscription version and revert to 2012 without and issue. I am now on Windows 10. I don't use loans, investing, :( budgeting or anything fancy. Just basic vanilla manual entries for multiple accounts into categories and use tags and store a few pro forma reports.
Tagged:

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't find any other posts using this UserID.  So, can you post the link to that discussion that you've referenced.
    And, you can't go back to 2012, because the file formats have changed ... but you can (IIRC) go back to QW2017.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No you can't open the data file from the new version in 2012.  But you can reinstall 2012 and restore a backup from your 2012 version.  When you converted to the new version it should have kept a file from 2012.  

Do you still have 2012 to reinstall?  If you do you will have to update it.  If you have an older version, One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html

Or you can get 2013.  2013 should run on Windows 10.  You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For the subscription version you can go back as far as Quicken 2016, that just after Intuit sold off Quicken, and the new Quicken Inc company decided that they could keep the data file backwards compatible.  Before that Intuit changed the data format every year, so newer versions could read/convert the older data files, but not the other way around.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • For reference, here is the earlier (now closed) discussion regarding the subscription promo occupying monitor real estate. https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7720791/quicken-inc-should-eliminate-or-minimize-the-large-popup-with-expiration-119-legacy-votes/p1

I would like to operate unrestrained with a perpetual license and get unleashed from this dilemma. I still have a 2012 version CDROM, but according to the comments, it won't read the subsequently generated subscription data files (a la 2016), so no use to install it. So, can anyone tell me.....

Can I still buy a bonafide 2016 Quicken perpetual license with product key somewhere? What is the recommended source supplier?

Or, is there an alternate vendor offering a perpetual license that has a released product ~Quicken functionality that can read Quicken data files/format (a la Quicken 2106) created with the subscription Quicken?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I would like to operate unrestrained with a perpetual license and get unleashed from this dilemma. "
    Sorry, but Quicken has never offered that option.  Even  before the sale of Quicken, by Intuit, there was a 3.5 year limit FROM PRODUCT RELEASE DATE, that you could download from your banks/brokerages/cards into Quicken.
    Currently,  there is a SUBSCRIPTION, that must be periodically renewed to continue to download AND (if you're using Starter Edition)  the product becomes READ ONLY when the subscription  expires.
    The 2016 product will allow you to use Quicken (for as long as your operating system supports Q), but you can no longer download.  For the 2016 product, released  in late 2015, the ability expired in 2019.
    Lastly, Q has never released it file format,  so there's no other vendor that can read  Q data files.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Thank you, NotACPA. When you write "download" I understand you are referring to downloading your band and credit card posts. I do not use that feature.

I was wondering if there is a third party program - non-subscription - that can read my existing Quicken files.

But though preferable, even that is not essential. If I start with a new program as of Jan 1, then I don't need Quicken any longer.

I am considering to purchase Quicken 2016 from various vendors on the internet. But, I don't understand where the software these people are selling are downloaded (meaning download the code for installation) from, given that Intuit no longer markets or supports Quicken. I would need to get/download as well the latest update to the code on the CDROM they provide.

So, 2016 Quicken looks like a viable approach so long as it works correctly with future new operating systems. BUT....I have seen references to numerous problems with installing Quicken 2016 on Windows 10. And, that worries me.

(Incidentally, "Countabout" writes "It is one of the only personal finance appS (PLURAL) that will import data from Quicken and Mint. Countabout is a subscription, and Mint is free, but with ads. Countabout is "web based" and Mint is "Cloud based".)

BOTTOM LINE it seems is: To consider purchase Quicken 2016 from one of the current "vendors"/retail outlets and download the software with a key and update it from somewhere...is it worth the installation hassles I am reading about? Anyone have a comment or experience with that on Windows 10?

I think maybe I should change my screen name to "NotASUBSCRIBER" ;-)
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth given any install whether it be the full install of Quicken or a patch, there will always be a small percentage of people that have problems with it.  And this is where they will report it.

Quicken 2016/2017 runs just fine on Windows 10.  The one thing that you will encounter is that is that the early patch versions of these were using the "Intuit Id", which is no longer supported.  You need to install the latest patch before trying to log into your Quicken Id. A Quicken Id is required for any version from Quicken 2014 on, but it is free.  You can get the patch from here:
    Quicken Patches - QuicknPerlWiz

One thing to note about the Subscription version that @NotACPA didn't mention, even though it will operate in the same way as past versions and allow manual entry even with an expired subscription, about 25% of the window will be filled with an ad to renew the subscription.
    Signature:
  • Thanks, Chris.

Hmmm, unless I misunderstand what you wrote, I am aware that the subscription version has the lost "real estate" issue. That's the whole reason I am considering installing 2016 rather than continuing with the subscription. And, Quicken has not fixed any Intuit bugs carried over as far as I am affected.

But, how come I can still get a 2016 license and who is the provider/vendor of Quicken 2016 product? Must be either Quicken or Intuit??? The retailers are certainly not the product vendor.

While Q 2016 is my first choice to address this, ......another thought that I will share with others commiserating over this dilemma is that you can just stretch the MS Quicken window so that the right most portion is off screen. You will still lose the real estate occupied by the horizontal yellow promo banner across the top, but your register will be full width and you can still access most of the search bar at the upper right corner. Or with two monitors, you can have the rightmost promo extend on to the other monitor and have it subordinate to whatever other applications you are viewing. Enjoy the purchase of a second monitor with what you save by not renewing the subscription.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Never said that you could buy Quicken 2016/2017, certainly not from Quicken Inc/Intuit or any mainstream retailer.  The information for the people that already have such versions or if they can find them from someone on eBay or such.
    Signature:
  • OK, sorry. I am a novice here. Thought I can still buy Q2016. For example, here is a link where i see a Q2016 for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173836812673?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=173836812673&targetid=935065067507&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9032135&poi=&campaignid=10900797482&mkgroupid=108910247002&rlsatarget=pla-935065067507&abcId=9300403&merchantid=114751666&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk53-BRD0ARIsAJuNhpsANzHRGRdHE1MDo1YyNZo_kWHRcoTv2y0GmXGOFmtbizY0yuN2o24aAnyLEALw_wcB

There are other such offers. Could this be someone who purchased it and never used it? Or a retailer with residual stock? If Intuit no longer manufactures these CDROMs, can i buy this and expect to get a key, download the software presumably from Intuit(?) and it can be installed and updated? Or is it possibly a scam? You may not know the answer, but any insight you have might help me to understand whether this is a meaningful approach.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    An old version would have to be a CD and legit. Not a key to download it.    If someone made a disc they could put virus etc. on it.  So buyer beware.  It could be new or old or used.  You can still install it again.  

As I said above, if you install an older version you will have to update it. One of the SuperUsers has posted the update patches for older versions (2000 and newer) of Quicken

http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-patches-us.html

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Thanks, all, for y our help.
  • Davy_Ray
    Davy_Ray Member ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I have quicken 2012 Canadian edition. I am getting a new PC, but the installer version I have is r1 ... on my current machine I am running r2 21.1.2.14

The link to the patches listed in this post is for the US verion. Is there a similar link for the Canadian version of 2012?

edit: never mind... i figured out where it was :-)
  • grosstea
    grosstea Unconfirmed, Member
    I'm using Quicken 2002 on Windows 10 with no problems. Have also used Quicken 2008 and 2013 with out issue