Installed R30.14 screwed up my accounts

cagey
cagey Member ✭✭
Received msg that accounts would be resynched when asking permission to update software. All my accounts are now screwed up. On my computer, checking account shows much more money than it should. CC accounts have lost many updates previously made. How do I get my accounts back to what they were before you synched them to I don't know what? Any why are you automatically synching my accounts back to my hardware? The online accounts are never correct because the software doesn't handle some transfers correctly.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The only way to get back to what you had would be to restore your data file from a backup.
    And the only way to prevent Quicken not to do sync from Quicken Mobile/Web/Cloud to the Quicken data file is to not do a sync at all.  It is always a two way syncing process.

Edit -> Preferences -> Mobile & Web -> set Sync to OFF.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Before attempting to restore the Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of a Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The only way to get back to what you had would be to restore your data file from a backup.
    And the only way to prevent Quicken not to do sync from Quicken Mobile/Web/Cloud to the Quicken data file is to not do a sync at all.  It is always a two way syncing process.

Edit -> Preferences -> Mobile & Web -> set Sync to OFF.
    Signature:
  • cagey
    cagey Member ✭✭
    It automatically synched when I did the release update. So should I not do release updates in the future?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Quicken should have created an automatic backup immediately prior to the version update.  It would be saved in the same folder as your other automatic backups and the file name would include the version you were using prior to the update.  I would suggest making a copy and restoring it now that the update has completed.  If you haven't already done so, be sure to set sync to off as suggested by @Chris_QPW.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jrich75 No Quicken doesn't make an automatic backup before installs these days.  In fact not since Quicken 2016, and in fact I'm not sure it ever did for just patch installs.

Before Quicken 2016 when the data file format changed part of the process of doing the conversion was first to do a backup (Validate & Repair does this).  But when they got rid of the need for converting the data file format, they also dropped making a backup for some reason.  It was commented on, but they never changed it.

And like I said I'm not sure if they did or didn't make a backup before a patch was installed, but they certainly don't do it these days.
    Signature:
  • cagey
    cagey Member ✭✭
    I set synch off and restored the file. IT synched again anyway. HOw can I talk to someone for help?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @cagey here is the link: Contact Quicken Support
    Signature:
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Chris_QPW said:
    @jrich75 No Quicken doesn't make an automatic backup before installs these days.  In fact not since Quicken 2016, and in fact I'm not sure it ever did for just patch installs.

Before Quicken 2016 when the data file format changed part of the process of doing the conversion was first to do a backup (Validate & Repair does this).  But when they got rid of the need for converting the data file format, they also dropped making a backup for some reason.  It was commented on, but they never changed it.

And like I said I'm not sure if they did or didn't make a backup before a patch was installed, but they certainly don't do it these days.
    Well I just did the update this morning and here is what I have in my Backup folder.

The first file listed is the automatic backup prior the the upgrade to R30-14.  There was a long discussion about this last month that included some discussion about the extra backups. I have been seeing these files after each of the last 8-10 version upgrades.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• cagey
    cagey Member ✭✭
    I finally got it back. Thank-you.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Before attempting to restore the Quicken file backup (or open an earlier copy of a Quicken File), I suggest deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset (aka cloud account) associated with the Quicken file.  Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    jrich75 said:
    Chris_QPW said:

Well I just did the update this morning and here is what I have in my Backup folder.

The first file listed is the automatic backup prior the the upgrade to R30-14.  There was a long discussion about this last month that included some discussion about the extra backups. I have been seeing these files after each of the last 8-10 version upgrades.
    Maybe it is because I have automatic backups turned off.
    Signature:
  • cagey
    cagey Member ✭✭
    @Chris_QPW Thanks for your help. I was able to use the link for CONTACT SUPPORT last night but it was after hours so just got msg. When I tried today it wouldn't work so I gave up. Must be OPERATOR ERROR due to frustration.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @cagey If you press the button an nothing comes up, make sure your web browser isn't blocking pop up windows.
    Signature:
  • Faroe47
    Faroe47 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    This thread helped tremendously. Not fully understanding syncing to the Q Cloud, I've experienced numerous instances of trashing my PC data file. The problem was a second, older data file also residing in the Cloud, and anytime I'd sync (which I eventually figured out how to turn off), it would pull in tons of old data, duplicate accounts on my PC, and generally cause a huge mess. In the past, when I accidentally allowed this to happen, I was fortunate enough to be able to go back to a nightly full backup on an external drive and replace my PC's data file, along with anything else that Q may need. More problems arose today after I decided to delete an unused Loan account. Sync fired off and trashed the data file on the PC again. Today, after doing a full restore of the Q data on the PC, I learned how to wipe out the second, old data file in the Cloud and how to reset the in-use data file in the cloud with PC data. Yea!!! Now maybe I can start using the cell phone app again and not be afraid to allow syncing.

Many thanks to Sherlock, above, for the tips and link to the solution.

If anyone spots some error here in my thinking, please alert me before I trash things again. Thanks. :)
  • jimgmdc
    jimgmdc Member ✭✭
    I reported this bug to quicken support on 12/4 that 30.14 that it does a one time sync to the cloud and then deletes all downloaded source transactions and keeps the payments to the destinations. then all the source balance checking accounts balances are wrong. They said they were going to make an update but I have not heard yet,
  • SMT2
    SMT2 Member ✭✭✭
    Release R30.14 (Dec 2020) release note indicates it fixed the account deletion issue. Likely there are more issues with Cloud Sync in deleting account(s).

Release R30.14 (Dec 2020)
    Fixed: Resolved an issue in which accounts migrated to Quicken Cloud Services were, in rare circumstances, deleted during One Step Update.
  • jimgmdc
    jimgmdc Member ✭✭
    > @SMT2 said:
    > Release R30.14 (Dec 2020) release note indicates it fixed the account deletion issue. Likely there are more issues with Cloud Sync in deleting account(s).
    >
    > Release R30.14 (Dec 2020)
    > Fixed: Resolved an issue in which accounts migrated to Quicken Cloud Services were, in rare circumstances, deleted during One Step Update.

the issue i am having is that 30.14 didn't fix it created the issue where transactions get deleted when you sync to the cloud if they are between 2 different financial institutions.

1) entrer a transaction manuall that you paid a bill from checking account 1 to credit 1 card A
    2) sync to cloud
    3) checking account 1 no longer shows the transaction
    4) credit card a shows the transaction but no longer references checking account 1
    5) checking account 1 reconsile to online balance is then wrong
  • jodmarch
    jodmarch Member ✭✭
    From multiple comments here and on the related thread, I just don't think it's prudent to use cloud sync at all -- now, or in the foreseeable future (i.e. until there is a fundamental change, not just sporadic "fixes").
  • cagey
    cagey Member ✭✭
    Dear QUICKEN. I am getting sick and tired of this. When I did a daily download of investment prices and cc info, you synched my accounts AGAIN! Some how the SYNCH switch miraculously turned on again all by itself. Stop updating my data, switches, files and anything else you are destroying on a regular basis. I would never trust using data from your mobile application.
  • SMT2
    SMT2 Member ✭✭✭
    @cagey. You may want to try out changing communication channel from QCS to FDS. Check out this post - step 5. Good Luck.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20133852#Comment_20133852
  • cagey
    cagey Member ✭✭
    @SMT2 Thank-you so much
This discussion has been closed.