Convert from Quicken 2007: QFW 2013 Download won't install?

Hi! I'm having trouble converting a Quicken Windows 2007 data file to a more recent version (2017 or maybe subscription). In searching this community, I found a Quicken Help article on converting the data files using an intermediate version (Quicken Deluxe 2013):

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken

However, when I downloaded the 2013 .exe file (QW2013DLX.exe) and tried to run it, I got an error indicating that "The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted..."

Wondering if anyone else has seen this, or has any other ideas for converting the 2007 data file(s) to more modern version. I'm doing this on WIN10 with latest updates (tried this on 3 different computers - all WIN10 - and they all give the same error). I found threads as recently as last month where it sounds like people have run this installation successfully. Hoping that Microsoft didn't just update me out of luck here.

Very much appreciate any advice you can give!

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Try creating a new administrator account and installing Quicken 2013 with that account.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    You aren't trying to install this on Win10S, are you?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Geezer31
    Geezer31 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the prompt replies. I'm doing this on a Win10 Pro machine (Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041). I tried adding a clean new Admin account and running the install there, but got exactly the same behavior:

1. It shows the standard "do you want this program to be able to make changes to your device" dialog. I click "Yes".
    2. It very briefly starts to extract the files (maybe 1 second or so), then
    3. Shows an error message "The Contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify it's integrity, and try again".

The behavior is the same if I simply double-click on the file or "run as admin".

Thanks!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well as a test, I downloaded it and installed it on a Windows 10 Pro machine and had no problems.

So I would guess that leaves a couple of ideas that I have that might be it.
    One is that the downloaded install file is corrupted (not likely), so try downloading again.
    The second it is going to be extracting in your temporary folder, and there might something in it that is causing a problem.  So clean it out and try again.

Actually there is a third, make sure you restart your machine, sometimes the "state of the machine" can cause problems and restarting your machine can help.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Geezer31
    Geezer31 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your help - this led to the solution. Turns out there was something wrong with the downloaded file itself. When I first had this problem I tried re-downloading the file (multiple times!) and they all had the same problem, so I figured that wasn't it. But knowing that it worked for you made me look closer. I found if I downloaded the file on my wife's laptop it worked fine. And then I re-booted my laptop and re-downloaded, that file worked fine too. So there was something dodgy about the state of my machine that was corrupting the download file. That's a new one on me.

So now I'm set. Thanks very much for your help! Great forum you have here.
This discussion has been closed.