Exporting select accounts/data

Hello - I'm a long time Qucken user and have reached a point where my file has too many issues and I'd like to start fresh but in a more simplified manner. From my existing data file I'd like to export certain pieces of info such as memorized payees, categories, maybe a couple of accounts.

Is this possible? I'm trying to avoid starting complete from scratch.
Thx
Scott

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you taken a look at the "Year end copy" function in Q?  it will create a duplicate of your current file, and also create a "truncated" version with a Start date that you choose.
    Starting as of 1/1 of any year that you pick would work.(Note that picking 1/1 will include 12/31 of the prior year balances)

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    If you are not "moving" any investment accounts, you could try doing an export of a QXF (x in the middle) and then import it into a new file.  The process does not handle investment accounts properly, so don't waste your time with them.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• diverscott
    diverscott Member ✭✭
    @ Notacpa - I have not tried the Year End Copy. That looks like it might be what I need. Seeing how it might work I need to do some work in my current file before doing it. @splasher - the only glitch to QXF suggestion, from what I can tell, is that other than investment accounts I'll get everything else. I want to limit that. If the Year End Report works like it seems I can pull everything from perhaps the past 3 months and leave behind all the other glitches it's not worth me fixing.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thx
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ Notacpa - I have not tried the Year End Copy. That looks like it might be what I need. Seeing how it might work I need to do some work in my current file before doing it. @splasher - the only glitch to QXF suggestion, from what I can tell, is that other than investment accounts I'll get everything else. I want to limit that. If the Year End Report works like it seems I can pull everything from perhaps the past 3 months and leave behind all the other glitches it's not worth me fixing.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thx
    The idea was to re-create your file without its current issues.  You can always delete the history you don't want and change the Opening Balances of the accounts to make the current balance correct.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my existing data file I'd like to export certain pieces of info such as memorized payees, categories, maybe a couple of accounts.
    You could try QIF export/import. It allows you to choose items to include.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• drdively
    drdively Member ✭✭
    I did not do any processing of my data turning the calendar into 2020. We have seen a number of changes in our life, spending, etc. I do need to clean up the categories, etc. So I will be following this conversation. I wondered, if you leave previous year data in your current data file, and you delete things like categories, what does that do to old data? Seems to me a good argument for either creating a new data set or archiving the old data.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    drdively said:
    I did not do any processing of my data turning the calendar into 2020. We have seen a number of changes in our life, spending, etc. I do need to clean up the categories, etc. So I will be following this conversation. I wondered, if you leave previous year data in your current data file, and you delete things like categories, what does that do to old data? Seems to me a good argument for either creating a new data set or archiving the old data.
    If you create "archives", you will need to routinely open them to ensure that your current version of can read/use the data file.  While the file format has not changed since 2016, that does not mean that it is static.
    You will also be required to look thru multiple files if you are trying to find a record of a purchase or payment in the past.  Running networth over time reports would be limited to the data in a single file, so it is not very useful.
    Trying to re-combine the files at a later date is a major undertaking, something you really don't want to try.
    My current data file goes back to 1996 and I consider it to be a financial diary of everything I have spent except for small cash expenditures.  I would not have it any other way.
    Regarding categories, you can't just delete a category unless it is not used.  If you want to delete one that has been used, you need to merge it with another category to make it unused and deleteable.  If you don't want it to show up in lists, you can mark it hidden.

This discussion has been closed.