Online Balance on Bank Account Projects Forward By a Month

This may be more of a nuisance than anything else, but when I reconcile my bank account (Capital One, if that makes a difference) and select "Use Online Balance," Quicken automatically chooses to reconcile a month in the future, instead of reconciling as of today's date. I have therefore been selecting "Use Statement Balance," using today's date. I can, of course, continue to do that, but is there a way to fix this bug? I don't have this problem on any of my credit cards, and it's also not a problem on my savings account with Capital One, just my checking account?

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @ntrainer

Thank you for reaching out on the community and telling us about your issue. I do apologize for the issue you're having. That is quite odd actually. Is this consistent with all of your accounts or is it any account? How long has this been happening? I'm wonder why it may be doing this as it's not something I've seen before. Could you also take a screenshot of the issue? I'll leave an article below on how to do so. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac#latest

As a side note you may need to drag the photo in to the response box in order to get it added into the response.

Once you get a chance let us know some more details and we'll see what we can do! 

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    This is a problem completely unique to my Capital One checking account. Perhaps I have unwittingly caused it by using the "Use Statement Balance" rather than "Use Online Balance" in order to get around the problem.... hard to say. Here's the screen shot from this morning when I attempt to reconcile, followed by the screen shot from when I select "Use Online Balance."

For what it's worth, the online balance is NOT what I see when I log onto Capital One. I'm not sure why, but Quicken's download is usually a day behind. Again, this is just an issue with this particular account.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @ntrainer

It looks like you may have found it since it looks like that might of been the case in using the statement balance.

As it goes for the balances between the bank and Quicken could be due to transactions not being cleared just yet. If the transactions aren't cleared on the banks side Quicken will not import them yet so any sort of pending charges may take another day or two in order to add into quicken. That is the most likely reason you see different balance between Quicken and Capital one. If that's not the case though we could take a look to see if there's something else that could be going on! 

If you do run into any other issues please let us know and we'll see what we can do! 

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    Hmmm..... so what's the solution? Do I need to wait a month before I can use the online balance for this to work itself out? That seems silly, and like a bug that should have some sort of fix, no?
  • ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    You can see from my screen shot that I tried to use the online balance.... and it's post-dated a month, as I reported.
  • Quicken Francisco
    @ntrainer

My apologies for that. I didn't look at the second screenshot clearly enough. I'm wondering here if deactivating and reactivating the accounts might get it to sync to the correct date potentially here. Since it's the only bank you're having trouble with it may be the case. I'll leave instructions down below on how to do so. 

First thing I'll recommend is to save a backup to revert back to just in case. You can find how to do so down below. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Next we'll try deactivating all of the accounts. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.

https://www.quicken.com/support/reactivating-deactivated-account

Once you've done this double check again in the reconciliation and see if we're still showing one month forward. If we are we'll see what we can try next.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    Hmmm.... I followed those steps, disconnecting the account and then reconnecting it. Same problem. Interestingly today Quicken's discussion options don't let me post screen shots, but I have them: The first shows how Quicken gives me the option of reconciling using "Online Balance" (with today's date, Dec. 3), and the second shows what happens when I reconcile using "Online Balance" (the date is a month in the future, January 2).
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @ntrainer

Thank you for the response and for taking the time to capture a screenshot.

To share your screenshots with the Community, please drag the images to the comment box. This will attach the images to the comment.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Tyka.... interestingly this morning all seems to be well with this account. Perhaps this is a case of "when you take the car to the mechanic, it stops making that terrible grinding sound." I'll be vigilant in the next week to see if it's a non-issue or if it comes up again.
  • ntrainer
    ntrainer Member ✭✭
    Looks like the problem has been fixed. Thanks, folks!
This discussion has been closed.