I upgraded to deluxe from essentials but my reports show most categories uncategorized

I had quicken essential for MAC for many years. I upgraded recently to deluxe for mac but most of my reports from the past show the transactions as uncategorized. I really don't want to go back and edit the last 15 years of data.

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Hmmm. I think that's usually a sign of some damage to the database, but I'm not certain. (Perhaps that's why when you exported and imported your data previously, there was a problem with missing categories.)

In this case, I suggest you reach out to Quicken Support during their phone support hours. It's free as part of your subscription.They are able to screen share with you, and to look at log files if necessary. and they might have some different procedure to try for moving your data. 

Sorry I can't help more. Best of luck! 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Can you still open Essentials, or are you on a Mac which can't run it? I was going to suggest opening Essentials and Quicken Mac side by side to see if your existing transactions were actually changed during import into Quicken Mac. I never used Essentials, but from comments form users on this forum, that's not the way it typically works.

Is it all types of transactions with have no categories, or perhaps just certain ones? (Don't look at reports; look at your account registers to see what' sin the Category column.)
  • merulli
    merulli Member ✭✭
    Thank you! Its all transactions on credit cards and all debit transactions in the checking accounts.
  • jacobs
    I'm curious how you moved your quicken Essentials data into Quicken Mac. Did you do any type of export and import? Or did you start on the "Let's Get Started" screen and select that you wanted to start for a Quicken Essentials data file? The latter is the best way to get started, and I haven't read any reports of people losing all the categories in their data when making this conversion.

If you still have your Essentials data file, could you test converting it again? In Quicken Mac, just select File > New, select Start from a Quicken Essentials file, then select your Essentials file, and let it do the import. Then check one of the account registers and see if your categories are intact or uncategorized. Post again when you've tried this.
  • merulli
    merulli Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I didi it a few months ago, and I’m not sure. I feel like I should just do it over. I have an old Mac with old OS X running the essentials. I have a new Mac with the new quicken installed. I believe I had exported my file from my old essentials and somehow either converted or imported it to the new computer. Should I export the file from the old essentials? Or is there a better way to get it ?
  • jacobs
    I think that might be the key difference. Do not export the Essentials file. Just copy it from the old Mac and move it to the new Mac. Launch Quicken. Go to File > New and select "Start from a Quicken Essentials File". Then check your registers to see if the transactions came in properly with categories.

(If this doesn't improve things, you can just toss the new file and go back to the one you've been using, so this could be a really quick experiment if it fails. Of course, if it works, then you have to play catch-up with whatever you've entered since you first tried to move over from Essentials.)
  • merulli
    merulli Member ✭✭
    Thank you i got an error: An error occured during persistent migration".
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    Hmmm. I think that's usually a sign of some damage to the database, but I'm not certain. (Perhaps that's why when you exported and imported your data previously, there was a problem with missing categories.)

In this case, I suggest you reach out to Quicken Support during their phone support hours. It's free as part of your subscription.They are able to screen share with you, and to look at log files if necessary. and they might have some different procedure to try for moving your data. 

Sorry I can't help more. Best of luck! 
This discussion has been closed.