How do I split my datafile into two files?

I use Quicken to track my own finances, as well as my mother-in-law's. Right now they are all in one file. I have hers marked as separate so her info doesn't show up in my reports and totals. I would like to move her accounts into its own file, so I can run reports on her info too. I know that I can create duplicate files and rename them. For example, original = MASTER, then copy twice and rename to FILE A (mine) and FILE B (hers). Here's my question: If I then delete my account (BANK 1) from FILE B, does this cause any problems with BANK 1 in FILE A? Will Quicken, when I open FILE A, still consider BANK 1 as open and will it still synch properly with express or direct connect as it does now? Does deleting an account in this manner cause any problems on the bank side of the synching process? Is there a better way to accomplish this task? Thanks.

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    There should be no problem with online activity.  But, is there a typo in your question?  You say the account is Bank 1 in each of "A" and "B"... but if you are splitting into yours and hers, there should be no common accounts.  So, I assume you meant Account 1 at Bank1 in A and Account 2 at Bank1 in B?

If all transactions are 100% between your group of accounts for A and her group of accounts for B, no problem.  If, however, you have ever transferred funds between her and your accounts - those transfers will 'break' when you delete the irrelevant accounts in A and B.  I believe (?) the transfer transactions will show a blank category if the target account is deleted.  Will require editing anyway.

I have two separate QWin data files for a similar situation.  Brokerage and bank accounts for each are at the same institutions with the same login info (when I log in via the web, I see all of the accounts).  Have been doing this for years without any issue - only some of the accounts are linked to each QDF file.  None are linked to both files.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• raymorr2
    raymorr2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for taking a moment to respond. When I first copy the original file, each of its copies will contain all accounts - BANK A mine BANK B hers. If I edit FILE A and delete her accounts (all the B's), then FILE A will be left with only my accounts. I would then do the same with B deleting my accounts (all the A's), leaving only hers. After I do this, will it cause any problems? There have been no direct transfers between A and B accounts, so that should not be an issue. I realize now that when I started tracking her accounts, I should have created a separate file, but I did not. Now I have several years worth of data from her accounts. I'm trying to figure out the best way to separate them.
    Thanks again
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you sync to the Quicken Cloud you can have problems when you split the file. Each file will have the same Dataset ID and transactions from one file can show up in the other. You should create a new Quicken data file for your mother-in-law, export the accounts in your file using QXF or QIF and then import into the new file.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    To reinforce Greg_the_Geek's advice, You can do this, BUT, the files will have the same internal file id and Quicken can then get confused about which file it is working with when it does any syncing with the Quicken Cloud Account and cause changes made in one file show up in the other.
    You are better off doing a .QXF (x in the middle) export and import into a new file if there are not any investment accounts to make the copy.  The import does not deal with investment accounts.
    The second choice is to do a .QIF export and import.
    There has been a lot of discussion on this issue recently and it was decided until Quicken comes up with a way to change the internal file id, making copies of files to split the accounts is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• raymorr2
    raymorr2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for a definitive answer. When I export the file, will it still be in the original master file, or does exporting it remove it from that file? If it is still in the original master file, does deleting it from there cause any problems with the newly created file that I imported it to? Does deleting it from one file tell Quicken or the bank to no longer synch it from any file, even the new one?
    Thanks
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    raymorr2 said:
    Thanks for a definitive answer. When I export the file, will it still be in the original master file, or does exporting it remove it from that file? If it is still in the original master file, does deleting it from there cause any problems with the newly created file that I imported it to? Does deleting it from one file tell Quicken or the bank to no longer synch it from any file, even the new one?
    Thanks
    Once you have created a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...), the Quicken files and their cloud accounts are independent.  Deleting or adding an account register in one Quicken file should have no impact on the other Quicken file.  
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, you should deactivate online services on the account(s) you're going to export. And make a backup of everything first.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jtk.google
    jtk.google Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > There has been a lot of discussion on this issue recently and it was decided until Quicken comes up with a way to change the internal file id, making copies of files to split the accounts is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED.

Does a "copy" in this regard mean copying the data file in the Windows file system? Is the "File->Save a copy as..." menu item in Quicken any better in this regard--does it create a new internal file ID? How about "File->File operations->Copy..."?

Also: I want to split a data file to move accounts with investment data (college savings accounts). If I set up a new file and export/import, am I stuck having to use QIF and then editing each file to get it to import into the new file into an investment account, such as mentioned here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7150750/faq-how-to-import-qif-files-into-non-cash-accounts-post-q2004
    or using a tool as mentioned in:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20138829#Comment_20138829

Maybe I'm better off using an excel download from the custodian (I can get full history of the accounts since inception) and use those via ImportQIF?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both copy processes do NOT change the internal file id, so there is the possibility of corruption.
    I'm guessing that there isn't much transferring between the investment accounts, so your QIF import "could " be easier than expected, you won't know until you actually try it.  In trying to recreate my file in the past using QIF, I have found the transfers between accounts to be the most challenging part, especially transfers coming out of splits (trying to get them to match up again).
    Just make sure that you have a good backup before starting.
    Just do a QIF export of a single investment account and import it into a new data file to see how it goes.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list